List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Lukosius officially told he can look for more opportunities elsewhere

That suggests he shouldn’t cost much trade wise. If you drop someone, it doesn’t matter how high a draft pick they are, it shows you don’t think much of them. If you don’t then they can’t be worth more than a late 2nd.

On the otherside if you think someone is worth a 4yr deal then you value them quite high and should be worth an early 2nd.

How much is Lukosius on?

Noble and 32 for Lukosius and 26

Christian Petracca could force a trade away from Melbourne via the AFL’s grievance tribunal​

Despite Melbourne categorically saying Christian Petracca is going nowhere, there’s a way the star Demon could force their hand. JON RALPH has the story.
Jon Ralph and Jay Clark

3 min read
August 27, 2024 - 7:05PM
News Sport Network
https://archive.md/gb889#share-tools
aa872f95e8a90a46b599f362608e09878a525b19.jpg

AFL: Garry Lyon had a strong reaction to suggestions Christian Petracca could be traded for Harry McKay.
Christian Petracca has the option of forcing a trade from Melbourne through the AFL’s grievance tribunal as his teammates increasingly ponder life without their star match winner.
Petracca’s prolonged campaign to exit Melbourne continues, with 45 days until the end of the trade period and no end in sight as his resolve hardens to play elsewhere.
The Herald Sun can reveal there is a process through the AFL’s collective bargaining agreement where he could ask the AFL to step in to broker a trade through mediation if all attempts to convince the Demons he wants a new start fail.
[PLAYERCARD]Christian Petracca[/PLAYERCARD] could force a trade away from Melbourne. Picture: Michael Klein

Christian Petracca could force a trade away from Melbourne. Picture: Michael Klein
He revealed his partner Bella was told by a doctor at 3am that morning that the brilliant Demons matchwinner might not pull through.
Melbourne believes it did nothing wrong in putting him back on the field despite four broken ribs and a lacerated spleen - and conducted a review into its own conduct - but Petracca remains aggrieved by their treatment.
The grievance tribunal is the nuclear option and has never been used before but is detailed in the AFL’s collective bargaining agreement.
The AFLPA is aware of the grievance tribunal, with some player agents in the league believing Petracca would have a case given the list of issues he has with the Demons.
The first option for Petracca would be opening up on his reasons for a trade - the club’s cultural issues, Clayton Oliver’s behaviour, the Josh Smith trafficking allegations - which could help force the club’s hand.
At a series of player gatherings across the weekend it was clear that players want more clarity over his future.
A series of Melbourne players met on Sunday night at the Botanical Hotel, with some now despairing at the damage being done to the club and aware that trading Petracca might be the right option.
Petracca’s future is up in the air. Picture: Getty Images

The man widely thought to be the next captain of the football club has now done irreparable damage to his leadership aspirations.
The Melbourne star forward again asked for a trade in his exit meeting on Monday, but the Demons are adamant he is going nowhere given five years on a deal worth well over $6 million in salary obligations.
He is still processing the trauma of his injury, which put him in hospital for repeated stints but has also had a long-lasting aftermath as he comes to grips with returning to football.
He is not able to get his heartbeat up over 100 beats per minute for another month and will deal with trauma experts as he tries to work through his mental issues over a return to football.
While his camp might have hoped he could find his way to a power club like Carlton in a dal for Harry McKay that trade is not going to happen.
Carlton and McKay’s manager David Trotter on Tuesday made clear that McKay was off the table and would not be part of any discussion over Petracca’s future.
Petracca told an episode of the Howie Games podcast his partner Bella was called by a doctor while he was in hospital telling her how dire his predicament was at one stage.
Petracca on his way to hospital after the incident. Picture: Fox Sports Australia

Petracca on his way to hospital after the incident. Picture: Fox Sports Australia
Petracca broke four ribs, suffered a lacerated spleen and had a small puncture in his lung.
“This must have been 3am in the morning. I didn’t know at the time; I was drugged up,” Petracca told Mark Howard.
“Bella came to the ICU the next day and basically said that at three in the morning we got the number off the surgeon because he called to say you might not make it. He’s in critical condition. Because there was internal bleeding and everything. So (I was) in a serious and critical condition. For me, it was more that, that hit home rather than the actual injury itself. I’ll be fine physically and I’ll be able to train and get back to playing. It’s just more that piece; that the people around you feel it more than you.
“Even since then the last 6-7 weeks have been really tough on both of us. She’s been amazing for me since I first met her but just through this experience... I’ve got insomnia I feel like; to be honest, I can’t sleep.”

Maybe this is why we overpay at trades as we don't have the real money to compete at FA. Our salary cap has been reported to have been crap for the past 20 years paying NQRS exorbitant $$$ and rolling their contracts over when we should be delisted. I can't remember the last high priced recruit that we got in. Can anybody?

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Chris Mayne

Thanks for that Gubby

That suggests he shouldn’t cost much trade wise. If you drop someone, it doesn’t matter how high a draft pick they are, it shows you don’t think much of them. If you don’t then they can’t be worth more than a late 2nd.

On the otherside if you think someone is worth a 4yr deal then you value them quite high and should be worth an early 2nd.

How much is Lukosius on?

Noble and 32 for Lukosius and 26
I rate Lukosius. I reckon hes got a stack of improvement still in the right system and played in a set position. His skill is sublime. Virtually been thrown out at GC. Wouldn't complain at all if he ended up at the Pies. A forward set up with McStay deep, Checkers 2nd tall and Lukosius playing further up. I never really get the "go home" factor bullshit when a player has been interstate for a few years anyway. And who would want to go home to Adelaide

Christian Petracca could force a trade away from Melbourne via the AFL’s grievance tribunal​

Despite Melbourne categorically saying Christian Petracca is going nowhere, there’s a way the star Demon could force their hand. JON RALPH has the story.
Jon Ralph and Jay Clark

3 min read
News Sport Network

AFL: Garry Lyon had a strong reaction to suggestions Christian Petracca could be traded for Harry McKay.
Christian Petracca has the option of forcing a trade from Melbourne through the AFL’s grievance tribunal as his teammates increasingly ponder life without their star match winner.
Petracca’s prolonged campaign to exit Melbourne continues, with 45 days until the end of the trade period and no end in sight as his resolve hardens to play elsewhere.
The Herald Sun can reveal there is a process through the AFL’s collective bargaining agreement where he could ask the AFL to step in to broker a trade through mediation if all attempts to convince the Demons he wants a new start fail.
Christian Petracca could force a trade away from Melbourne. Picture: Michael Klein

He revealed his partner Bella was told by a doctor at 3am that morning that the brilliant Demons matchwinner might not pull through.
Melbourne believes it did nothing wrong in putting him back on the field despite four broken ribs and a lacerated spleen - and conducted a review into its own conduct - but Petracca remains aggrieved by their treatment.
The grievance tribunal is the nuclear option and has never been used before but is detailed in the AFL’s collective bargaining agreement.
The AFLPA is aware of the grievance tribunal, with some player agents in the league believing Petracca would have a case given the list of issues he has with the Demons.
The first option for Petracca would be opening up on his reasons for a trade - the club’s cultural issues, Clayton Oliver’s behaviour, the Josh Smith trafficking allegations - which could help force the club’s hand.
At a series of player gatherings across the weekend it was clear that players want more clarity over his future.
A series of Melbourne players met on Sunday night at the Botanical Hotel, with some now despairing at the damage being done to the club and aware that trading Petracca might be the right option.

The man widely thought to be the next captain of the football club has now done irreparable damage to his leadership aspirations.
The Melbourne star forward again asked for a trade in his exit meeting on Monday, but the Demons are adamant he is going nowhere given five years on a deal worth well over $6 million in salary obligations.
He is still processing the trauma of his injury, which put him in hospital for repeated stints but has also had a long-lasting aftermath as he comes to grips with returning to football.
He is not able to get his heartbeat up over 100 beats per minute for another month and will deal with trauma experts as he tries to work through his mental issues over a return to football.
While his camp might have hoped he could find his way to a power club like Carlton in a dal for Harry McKay that trade is not going to happen.
Carlton and McKay’s manager David Trotter on Tuesday made clear that McKay was off the table and would not be part of any discussion over Petracca’s future.
Petracca told an episode of the Howie Games podcast his partner Bella was called by a doctor while he was in hospital telling her how dire his predicament was at one stage.

Petracca broke four ribs, suffered a lacerated spleen and had a small puncture in his lung.
“This must have been 3am in the morning. I didn’t know at the time; I was drugged up,” Petracca told Mark Howard.
“Bella came to the ICU the next day and basically said that at three in the morning we got the number off the surgeon because he called to say you might not make it. He’s in critical condition. Because there was internal bleeding and everything. So (I was) in a serious and critical condition. For me, it was more that, that hit home rather than the actual injury itself. I’ll be fine physically and I’ll be able to train and get back to playing. It’s just more that piece; that the people around you feel it more than you.
“Even since then the last 6-7 weeks have been really tough on both of us. She’s been amazing for me since I first met her but just through this experience... I’ve got insomnia I feel like; to be honest, I can’t sleep.”
As our coach said, has got SFA to do with us.

Tigers had a horrible run of injuries across their entire list. Maybe we back in our fitness staff over theirs?

Did you see OUR injury list this year?
Do we really want another old player with a history of injuries?

Mitchell, McStay, Mihochek, Cox, Howe, Moore, DeGoey and then Lynch too?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If the Pies really wanted to get Trac...can be done.
Depends on the risk the club are willing to take with cap space (seen this movie before.....).
If the club take a low risk approach....not possible.
But if the resource is there and its managed well, might not be that big a risk.

Its so 2015 to just say "no draft picks"....

Lets assume we have the cap room (for the purpose of this PURE hypothetical).

JN & pick 32 or 48 (points for academy) to GC.....pay his existing salary for the 2 years we had already signed him for as a cap relief to GC....to get our hands on 13.

Take 13 and F2 (more likely F1....but open with F2) + Reef to Melb for Trac + F3 back (or something).
Basis of a deal is there....Won't get over the line, but will get you a seat at the table.

Trade Richards to Port for pick whatever (next years F2 if we can). just so we can have something in the draft!

"Cap space" is now the diff between Reef/ Richards contracts & Trac for the next 2 years, the JN wage as well for the remainder.

Slight backend the deal based on cap increases to accommodate the JN 2 years (where could that go wrong i wonder?!?).

Absolutely cooks us in this draft, but we're cooked anyway....so might as well load up for another tilt with the full knowledge it will come back to haunt us at some point.

Again depending on the cap space.....could even offer Melb to continue Grundy payments for 3 more years beyond what they are in lieu of a F2 or player (we'll contribute to Olivers wage for 3 years....or until he leaves Melb :) ).

Clearly a lot of What Ifs and unknowns due to cap space....but honestly, if a club has the cap resource to use....its doable if they want to go to the wall from a Cap perspective.
Just a pure hypothetical around what might get you in the door.

End of the day, whether its Draft picks or Cap space.....its a massive ask to bring him in and won't happen without us paying the debt at some point down the line......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the Pies really wanted to get Trac...can be done.
Depends on the risk the club are willing to take with cap space (seen this movie before.....).
If the club take a low risk approach....not possible.
But if the resource is there and its managed well, might not be that big a risk.

Its so 2015 to just say "no draft picks"....

Lets assume we have the cap room (for the purpose of this PURE hypothetical).

JN & pick 32 or 48 (points for academy) to GC.....pay his existing salary for the 2 years we had already signed him for as a cap relief to GC....to get our hands on 13.

Take 13 and F2 (more likely F1....but open with F2) + Reef to Melb for Trac + F3 back (or something).
Basis of a deal is there....Won't get over the line, but will get you a seat at the table.

Trade Richards to Port for pick whatever (next years F2 if we can). just so we can have something in the draft!

"Cap space" is now the diff between Reef/ Richards contracts & Trac for the next 2 years, the JN wage as well for the remainder.

Slight backend the deal based on cap increases to accommodate the JN 2 years (where could that go wrong i wonder?!?).

Absolutely cooks us in this draft, but we're cooked anyway....so might as well load up for another tilt with the full knowledge it will come back to haunt us at some point.

Again depending on the cap space.....could even offer Melb to continue Grundy payments for 3 more years beyond what they are in lieu of a F2 or player (we'll contribute to Olivers wage for 3 years....or until he leaves Melb :) ).

Clearly a lot of What Ifs and unknowns due to cap space....but honestly, if a club has the cap resource to use....its doable if they want to go to the wall from a Cap perspective.
Just a pure hypothetical around what might get you in the door.

End of the day, whether its Draft picks or Cap space.....its a massive ask to bring him in and won't happen without us paying the debt at some point down the line......
The Coach has clearly indicated that we do not have the salary cap space. Several posters have commented on the WHY.

To get Petracca, it will have to be similar currency to what we gave up for Beams, which is 2 mid to late first round picks.
We can give up next years first round, and maybe offer Reef as they have poor key forward stocks.

Not really true, Van Rooyen and Turner look like decent KPD options, Fritsch and Kosi can obviously hit the scoreboard enough to support them so they have a decent mix up forward especially if Shane Mcadam can get on the field next year.

Their problem isn't forward options, it's the delivery into the forward line and inability to lock it in that generally holds Melbourne back.

Last edited:

Jon Ralph and Jay Clark

3 min read
News Sport Network

Wow.

Not really true, Van Rooyen and Turner look like decent KPD options, Fritsch and Kosi can obviously hit the scoreboard enough to support them so they have a decent mix up forward especially if Shane McAdam.

Their problem isn't forward options, it's the delivery into the forward line and inability to lock it in that generally holds Melbourne back.
They don't want Van Rooyen as their number 1, they want him 2/Ruck relief and Turner as the third tall. Thats why the want a Key Forward.

Jon Ralph and Jay Clark

3 min read
News Sport Network

I am not surprised. The grievance tribunal was an option in Ryder case when he wanted to leave Essendon.

How much dirty laundry do Melbourne want aired in public?

Not really true, Van Rooyen and Turner look like decent KPD options, Fritsch and Kosi can obviously hit the scoreboard enough to support them so they have a decent mix up forward especially if Shane McAdam.

Their problem absolutely is in their lack of forward options. They've publicly said so.

I rate Lukosius. I reckon hes got a stack of improvement still in the right system and played in a set position. His skill is sublime. Virtually been thrown out at GC. Wouldn't complain at all if he ended up at the Pies. A forward set up with McStay deep, Checkers 2nd tall and Lukosius playing further up. I never really get the "go home" factor bullshit when a player has been interstate for a few years anyway. And who would want to go home to Adelaide
Yep! Lukosius at CHF would be great.
He's shown he can kick bags of goals and from outside 50 too.
Get it done!

1. Petraca only makes sense if it's a similar level player trade out so Pies don't trade the farm. Cannot afford to trade multiple picks and youth as Pies are already the oldest team in the league. I can see Pies upgrading midfield but would need to trade out one of the forwards, perhaps DeGoey. So that is a sidestep trade for both teams talent wise but upgrade from a needs perspective.

2. Noble for a pick makes perfect sense. This would simply mean Markov moves back to best 22, which he was last year. Just hope he bounces back to his old self next year. So I'm not that worried about losing Noble, he is a decent ground ball defender but weak in challenging the ball in the air hence why he wasn't on the GF team as Lions forwards are all good at attacking the ball in the air.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back