List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

I would be really pissed if we gave up Jordy & IQ for Petracca.

Perhaps I'm in my lonesome in that thinking, but we don't know what version of Christian we'd be getting.

And we could end up losing a small forward in Richards & HB in Noble to top it off.
Plus DeGoeys on much less cash. DeGoeys on like 900k while Trac is on 1.2+ million.

I prefer Petracca stay at Melbourne now.

I don't want to give up what's been suggested to get him.

And I definitely don't want Blues to get him either. He can stay at the Dees where he does less damage 🤣
He can stay for one more year.
Then 2025 it gives clubs the ability to trade 2 years into the future, gives more flexibility if he still wants to leave.
But by then, he'll be close to 30. Not sure clubs will want to give up much. So its a delicate situation

We gave 20+ matches to Bytel, Long and Sullivan in 2024. I’d say that indicates our midfield is anything, but fine with Steele and Pendles probably going around for the last time and nothing underneath except Allan. I think the only issue with a move on Petracca is striking the balance of offence with defense. The move of Sidebottom into a negating role was fantastic late season, but as above it’s a short term fix and we need to find another that can strike that balance in a negating role on an ongoing basis.
That's exactly my point, we hardly ever had our best midfield off the pine for any significant portion of the year so of course it wasn't the best but it's more than a serviceable midfield roster. Tracca's a great get for the next 2-3 years but what's to say he won't fall off or succumb to injury like Mitchell has?

Means nothing since he doesn’t want to go to Hawthorn.
He doesn't yet but that might change if his preferred clubs can't strike a trade deal with MFC. Somebody's gonna throw a big trade offer at MFC to see if they can do a Bradbury and land Petracca after the other suitors have fallen over. My money's on Richmond but Hawthorn are sneaky chance.

He can stay for one more year.
Then 2025 it gives clubs the ability to trade 2 years into the future, gives more flexibility if he still wants to leave.
But then then, he'll be close to 30. Not sure clubs will want to give up much. So its a delicate situation
And Dees can be the ones to deal with him whilst he's recovering from his injury..

I would be really pissed if we gave up Jordy & IQ for Petracca.

Perhaps I'm in my lonesome in that thinking, but we don't know what version of Christian we'd be getting.

And we could end up losing a small forward in Richards & HB in Noble to top it off.
No we cant give up either of Jordy or IQ.
I think it’s simply a matter of what Melbourne want for Trac versus what he’s worth to us as in picks, players or both.
Of course we’d all love to have him but he turns 29 next year. We could probably justify a first round pick if we had one but I wouldn’t be happy to give up more than that or players that we require.
A couple of years back before he resigned was when he was worth the most in my opinion.
I just can’t see both parties agreeing on the price.

Petracca might be better than a De Goey or McKay but he's not so much better you'd want to lose one to just get him in IMO.

Arguably we and Carlton would be better served with McKay than Petracca as a 90% as good midfielder is easier to find than a key forward like McKay.

Carlton of course do have the luxury of Curnow with TDK in support but that luxury only lasts when they're fit to play.

We don't have the luxury of losing De Goey as we need to build upon our midfield mix that already includes him.

Need keep JDG he would be amazing swapping with Trac forward.

IQ would be a loss but it's something we could manage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Petracca might be better than a De Goey or McKay but he's not so much better you'd want to lose one to just get him in IMO.

Arguably we and Carlton would be better served with McKay than Petracca as a 90% as good midfielder is easier to find than a key forward like McKay.

Carlton of course do have the luxury of Curnow with TDK in support but that luxury only lasts when they're fit to play.

We don't have the luxury of losing De Goey as we need to build upon our midfield mix that already includes him.
Carlton have a 2024 first round draft pick. We don't.

He doesn't yet but that might change if his preferred clubs can't strike a trade deal with MFC. Somebody's gonna throw a big trade offer at MFC to see if they can do a Bradbury and land Petracca after the other suitors have fallen over. My money's on Richmond but Hawthorn are sneaky chance.
Yeah I prefer he go to Richmond if he leaves Melbourne. Doesn't hurt us 🤣 They're going to be useless for years.

Then we don't have to give up anyone.

Blues don't get him.

Hawks don't get him.

Dees don't have him.

Wins all around.

Except for maybe Christian..

Not happy with Darcy Cameron for pick 56 and getting 62 back or turning Beams into DeGoey and Jack Crisp, Bobby Hill for a second rounder was some good business too.
Definitely some good dealings, i think on the balance of it our list management has been atrocious. Definitely under the previous regime and has continued on. Schultz for pick 10+ is not a good outcome at all. Ginivan for nothing not a good deal. McStay was a great deal dollar wise, Grundy should have been traded for two first rounders to Adelaide. Then we would still have Treloar. Trading pick 2 was an obvious disaster. Henry not a good trade. Beams in reverse undid any of the good that came from the first trade! Overpaying duds like Stephenson and Phillips…

I’m not sure how you can say that our midfield is fine as it is when we’re relying on Pendlebury and Sidebottom to run through there while having to utilise Nick in a contested role rather than being a receiver. More than half our midfield is on the wrong side of 30, adding Petracca and eliminating the need to rely on our older guys would be a blessing.
My issue is primarily how do you fit all these midfielders in the same midfield? I can't see Sidebottom and Mitchell playing more than 10 games between them in this arrangement which I don't have a problem with, but they will be dead weight on the team/cap space in the meantime which choking opportunity from the youth.

He wants to be playing for Collingwood. It's just a matter of how Melbourne approach this matter. They may terminate any responsibility for his contract, basically removing his money off their books. If that's the case, they may have to take less in terms of a trade, to what they may originally thought they could get...
Or they make him stay and get rid of others at the club, that maybe causing him angst eg. Oliver. However you feel this approach would make life very awkward and probably dysfunctional at the D's....
If we're really interested, then we need to get creative with our trading......
What does "terminate any responsibility for his contract" mean? Is that even a real thing?

I was most taken by Fly on SEN saying yesterday that we will be very aggressive this trade period and want to bring plenty of new talent in

Could be a very interesting trade period and wonder what we have been planning the last 6 months

Pleasing that we have kept our plans in house
Being aggressive suggests we are willing to trade on some of our players, we have no existing collateral.

This Petracca story will be fascinating to watch unfold.

I suspect Carlton will try really hard to get McKay to agree to go. If they can then the deal will find a way, if not….reckon relationships at Carlton will be strained.
McKay ain’t moving to Melbourne.
And there’s no net gain there for Carlton.
They plug a hole in the midfield and then allow Curnow to get double teamed in the forward line.
They’ll be no better off.
McKay is a Blues favourite and it would tear the club apart.

Their first pick for starters, and maybe a 2nd? Time will tell over the next month or so.
Their first pick won’t be much better than Sydney’s first pick. If Sydney feel we could slide, is it worth considering trading a F1 for Sydney’s two picks this year? Use pick 18 on Smith and hopefully still have picks 19 and 20 (Noble) to take to the draft (Whitlocks) or trade for Trac?
I understand the trepidation to do it, but is the risk offset by being able to trade two futures next year if required?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back