List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Reading the Bombers board, they seem to think Wright has lost his confidence, lacked courage since his suspension.

I think it’s more he’s been no good since he did his shoulder in 2023. Whether that is confidence or it’s just not the same who knows.

Wrights biggest issue is that he’s just a complete zero under a high ball if isn’t allowed a run and jump at it. He is easily shifted off the drop of the ball and out marked by pretty much any KPD or medium size defender. He also provides very little when the ball hits the deck due to lacking agility.

That being said he has some pretty handy strengths. He’s 200cm tall, smart on the lead and generally is able to get separation with his reach/size on most KPD. He is one of the best set shots in the comp and is one of the better 2nd ruckman as a KPF.

I think Essendon is better off keeping him as getting as even competency at that forward second ruck spot can be hard to find

I think it’s more he’s been no good since he did his shoulder in 2023. Whether that is confidence or it’s just not the same who knows.

Wrights biggest issue is that he’s just a complete zero under a high ball if isn’t allowed a run and jump at it. He is easily shifted off the drop of the ball and out marked by pretty much any KPD or medium size defender. He also provides very little when the ball hits the deck due to lacking agility.

That being said he has some pretty handy strengths. He’s 200cm tall, smart on the lead and generally is able to get separation with his reach/size on most KPD. He is one of the best set shots in the comp and is one of the better 2nd ruckman as a KPF.

I think Essendon is better off keeping him as getting as even competency at that forward second ruck spot can be hard to find
For me it’s the bolded that illustrates why he’d be a better fit at Collingwood. We have McStay to sit under the high ball 20 from goal and also have a better mix at ground level to mitigate that issue below his knees. I think at Collingwood he’d have different starting points and probably get more looks 40-60 from goal which obviously suits his ability to convert.

The only reason I’m not inclined to agree with you on Essendon keeping him is the Bryan situation. He’s reached a point where you’re either resigned to losing him post 2025 if Wright bounces back or Wright becomes a depth player with the Bryan/ Draper combo dominating. I think Draper’s aggression and mobility will trump Wright’s ability to hit up and convert.

For me it’s the bolded that illustrates why he’d be a better fit at Collingwood. We have McStay to sit under the high ball 20 from goal and also have a better mix at ground level to mitigate that issue below his knees. I think at Collingwood he’d have different starting points and probably get more looks 40-60 from goal which obviously suits his ability to convert.
The other reason is, he sounds very much like Mason Cox albeit with a football background.
I’m a fan, now that I know he’s not 30 (not sure where I got that idea from).
A Pies fan needing a fresh start - let’s do this.

So the same weaknesses as Cox but his strengths are way better. Sign me up, he’ll work well alongside Checkers and McStay.

I think Harrison, Allan, Jiath woud get opportunities next season also. Pies have a bunch of 20-22 year olds that need to be bloodied.

I like Harrison and no doubt he would've got more opportunity next year but his injury will affect that.

I think Jiath is a year or 2 away from offering much. Which is ok and we could transition from Howe to Jiath.

That was frustrating. We didn't give him a chance. He was killing it in the reserves
Played 13 reserves games for 47 goals that year.
Only played 2 senior games and scored 2 goals 7.

Feel like we could have got more use out of him that year but he must have annoyed Lethal somehow because he barely got a look in. A polarising character, I suspect he didn’t really buy into the team first mantra. That seems to have been the pattern over his career.

You're overstating how much difference there is between pick 10 and 15-18.

I think you’re underestimating it tbh.

I think you're both right. If you look at draft outcomes, there really isn't that much difference, but clubs fall in love with draft prospects and thus when there is a trade to move from 15-18 to 10, they pay a lot.

Which ultimately means that 10 is a much more valuable recruiting chip - unless you actually take them to the draft where the outcome is likely to be similar.

The only reason I’m not inclined to agree with you on Essendon keeping him is the Bryan situation. He’s reached a point where you’re either resigned to losing him post 2025 if Wright bounces back or Wright becomes a depth player with the Bryan/ Draper combo dominating. I think Draper’s aggression and mobility will trump Wright’s ability to hit up and convert.

Im not high on Bryan. He’s similar to Wright with his lack of ability to compete in the air and on the ground but has zero ability as a forward.

Sure it’s nice that he’s a good kick for a ruckman but 9/10 I think he’s still better off just hand balling to a mid. He does seem to be a strong tap ruckman at least and as an overall package I expect him to have a long career whether that translates to playing a lot of games I don’t know.

I'm not convinced on Wright - unless we change our style significantly. We don't hit up leading talls 50+ out that often. We want talls for contests and leave the higher up the ground space for runners to stream forward into or smalls to work into. Talls are all about the contest for us - and I'm not convinced that that is Wright's bag.

I'm not convinced on Wright - unless we change our style significantly. We don't hit up leading talls 50+ out that often. We want talls for contests and leave the higher up the ground space for runners to stream forward into or smalls to work into. Talls are all about the contest for us - and I'm not convinced that that is Wright's bag.
I think I'd prefer Lynch but I don't really know why

and then his off and on injuries this year, which then halts his confidence and consistency.
Had hammy, nerve issue with his neck, hand issue.
Just wasnt his year (you can say that about half our team tbf)
This speaks to me.
I've had two spinal ops on my neck, c5/c6. Fusion that failed then a posterior laminectomy and formaminotomy. I waited too long, due to work and such, but my hands are no good now, drop things, lack feeling and in general fumbly. I'm 38 now, but my hands are done, which is great when you're a drummer and drum teacher....Also waiting to have my l5/s1 fused too. Yay!
That nerve also controls the shoulder, bicep and forearm. He needs to be very careful, he can't afford to be hit hard or have any whiplash effect if his nerves are compressed. he'll be paralyzed.
I'm sure the medical team are all over it, but Ryan needs to be vigilant and remember he's got a long life ahead. If he does have a fusion and nerve decompression, he'll need a lot of treatment.
I wonder if that issue has come about due to his head hit.

Walsh from the Blosers had his lower back done with a microdiscectomy, it's not as simple as removing some disc. The surgeon cuts muscles, nerves, ligaments, fascia and tendons just to get to the verrtebrae. Some surgeons go through the stomach and move your innards to get to the spine. The body is not a fan of being pulled apart!
Barrass is another, he'll be on the operating table once he's finished. Probably multiple times.
These two need to be very careful.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whilst I agree staggering the retirement of our veterans is best practice, in reality it might not be possible.

For example this year it might have required us retiring off WHE or Howe this year….Doesn’t make sense to do that given their form. Half way through the year Sidey was in the gun but he finished off the year as one of our best half dozen players. We possibly could have retired Mason off this year but he too is showing little signs of decline and nobody yet is demanding his spot.

Similarly I don’t want us re-signing players for season 2026 for “ staggering” reasons alone. They must be able to still perform in the clubs judgement. Each player must be assessed separately. If we suffer bulk retirements at the end of next year then so be it.

Whilst I agree staggering the retirement of our veterans is best practice, in reality it might not be possible.

For example this year it might have required us retiring off WHE or Howe this year….Doesn’t make sense to do that given their form. Half way through the year Sidey was in the gun but he finished off the year as one of our best half dozen players. We possibly could have retired Mason off this year but he too is showing little signs of decline and nobody yet is demanding his spot.

Similarly I don’t want us re-signing players for season 2026 for “ staggering” reasons alone. They must be able to still perform in the clubs judgement. Each player must be assessed separately. If we suffer bulk retirements at the end of next year then so be it.

Whilst someone is best 22 and you want to win the flag - it doesn't make sense to retire them at all. These blokes will either retire themselves or be retired when the coaches don't think they'll be best 22 in the following year - eg a fair bit of decline for all of them - or youngsters or recruits rising to push them out. It might have happened if guys like Reef, Harrison, Macrae, Sullivan, Bytel, Krueger really rose - but they didn't and the oldies are still very clearly ahead of them and thus in our best 22

Around the Boards 3/9/2024:
Adelaide (up to Page 377):
  • Mark Keane: Some say our Future 1st with junk picks back, others high 2nd pick.
  • Sam Berry: has re-signed so cross him of the list
  • Nathan Kreuger: Minor media speculation he could head home to SA.
  • Ash Johnson: Minor media speculation he could head home to SA.
Brisbane (Pg: 123):
  • Quiet on links between us
Carlton (Pg: 107):
  • "Owies plays similar to Elliot of collingwood" Hahahahaha!
Essendon (Pg: 182)
  • Peter Wright: Should be moved on (Melb/Coll). Pick in 20's. Swap for Joe Richards/Isaac Quaynor.
  • Dylan Sheil: "Shiel to Collingwood for #50"
  • Jake Stringer: "Stringer to Collingwood" (Noble pick swap / pick 32)
  • Ben Hobbs: "pick 20 (Noble > GoldCoast trade)"
  • Darcy Parish: Salary dump to us.
Fremantle (Pg 684):
  • Joe Richards: "Richard’s for a third"
Geelong (Pg 124):
Gold Coast (Pg 93):
  • Alex Davies: Media link. [Geel linked]
  • Jack Lukosius: Media.. Only if salary dump.
  • John Noble: Media link.
GWS (Pg 34):
  • James Peatling: Media link. and "I’m hearing JP is heading to the VFL" "Peatling goes for a late second round pick" [Melb, StK & WC linked]
Hawthorn (Pg 509):
Melbourne (Pg 269):
  • Christian Petracca: 2025 watch list.
  • Adam Tomlinson: Media speculation.
Kangaroos (Pg 78):
Port (Pg 139):
  • Joe Richards: Media link.
Richmond (Pg 229):
  • Tom Lynch: Media speculation
StKilda Pg 134):
Sydney (Pg 153):
  • Draft: Have heard rumours of our Future 1st for Sydney's picks 19 and 20 this year.
West Coast (Pg 35):
Western Bulldogs (Pg 805):
  • Bailey Smith: Most likely going to Geelong but rumours link us to him
  • Buku Khamis: OOC, we were linked last year
Draft:
  • Jobe Shanahan: 194cm KPF: Pick around 20
  • Matt Whitlock: 199cm KPD/F: Pick around 15
  • Jack Whitlock: 200cm CPF: Pick around 20
  • Alixzander Tauru: 191cm 3rd Defender: Pick around 30

• Mark Keane: Some say our Future 1st with junk picks back, others high 2nd pick.
  • Peter Wright: Should be moved on (Melb/Coll). Pick in 20's. Swap for Joe Richards/Isaac Quaynor.
Fremantle (Pg 684):
Geelong (Pg 124):
Gold Coast (Pg 93):
GWS (Pg 34):
  • James Peatling: Media link. and "I’m hearing JP is heading to the VFL" "Peatling goes for a late second round pick" [Melb, StK & WC linked]
Hawthorn (Pg 509):
Melbourne (Pg 269):
Kangaroos (Pg 78):
Port (Pg 139):
Richmond (Pg 229):
StKilda Pg 134):
Sydney (Pg 153):
  • Draft: Have heard rumours of our Future 1st for Sydney's picks 19 and 20 this year.
West Coast (Pg 35):
Draft:
Future 1st for Keane?
In which universe?

Fremantle (Pg 684):
Geelong (Pg 124):
Gold Coast (Pg 93):
GWS (Pg 34):
Hawthorn (Pg 509):
Melbourne (Pg 269):
Kangaroos (Pg 78):
Port (Pg 139):
Richmond (Pg 229):
StKilda Pg 134):
Sydney (Pg 153):
West Coast (Pg 35):
Draft:

The two on there I'd go with are Shiels for pick 50 and future first with Sydney for 19 and 20.

Just listening to SEN, they had Tom Morris doing the trade bell who suggested Peter Wright would cost a first round selection this year or next year. For someone who can’t get a regular game at his current club?
On the one hand it's Tom Morris but on the other hand it's something Adrian Dodoro might've said.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back