List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Generally. But this years draft has more depth than recruiters have seen in years. Its why clubs are wanting more picks this year. Its why richmond are using this draft to start the rebuild. Next year probably a bit weaker at this stage.

Wasn’t the excuse for us giving up this years 1st for Schultz was that is was an average draft so it didn’t really matter? Now all of a sudden it’s a good draft.

We should try to target Brisbane’s first rounder wherever it lands as well as the deal for Sydney’s two firsts. 3 teenish picks puts us in the frame for a possible combination of Whitlock twins or a trade for Smith or Houston.

Wasn’t the excuse for us giving up this years 1st for Schultz was that is was an average draft so it didn’t really matter? Now all of a sudden it’s a good draft.
Not sure what the reason was. But I very doubt they imagined it would be this deep at the time of the trade tbf

Aware that this is mainly a fantasy thread but thinking we'll get pick 20 for Noble is taking it too far.
Not really, 20 will go out a few spots potentially to 24/5 after academy and f/s. He’s a best 22 player who is contracted, pick 25 is certainly no guarantee when it comes to finding a best 22 player.

Ok let’s take a step back here, there are plenty of drafts that have been dubbed “super drafts”, “exceptionally deep” etc in the past that in hindsight have turned out pretty average or even mediocre.
At the end of the day there’s still every chance that a late 20’s pick ends up busting despite the hype, so it’s in our best interests to try and get the best picks possible without settling because later picks are supposedly more valuable this year. We want to have access as early as possible, period and I hope our recruiters have the same attitude.

Also these Whitlock twins are starting to take on mythical status on here. Don't get me wrong, if we have the ability to pick up a 200cm key position player i'm all aboard, and if we're coming in the 20s or late teens and one is available it's happy days. But if these boys are actually are the special, bona fide can't miss talents they're being spruiked as, i reckon they'd be completely out of our reach, no matter ho strong the rest of the draft is.

Absolutely, it’s a problem but a good problem that our veterans are all best 22. It may bite us in the end but premierships are hard to win so best to hold the window open as long as possible. In an ideal world we don’t want to lose 6-7 of them all at once at the end of 2025 so hopefully for some of them their form justifies another season after that.
My money is on Pendles and Mitchell at the end of next year. I think most of the others will go on.

Noble will go for Pick 26… and pies will let him go for that rather than hang onto a player who wants to be elsewhere

Pies just asking for more - just in case they get it

Richards probably go for ports pick 37

Pies draft hand then becomes

26, 32, 37, 48, 50

Which is not great but plenty of options to pick up players and/or upgrade picks to move higher up draft board

Eg 37 & 50 for blues pick 31 as they need the points for F/sons
Might be able to nab Lions pick 14 and use it on a Jobe Shannahan/Alix Tauru

Freo knew what our 2023 pick was and the only way it could be the same this year was if we won the flag.
We cop some flack for not doing a, b & c but there’s another party involved.
We don’t/can’t walk away once we’ve committed to the player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Freo gambled on us falling down the ladder this year, given our aging list.
Very smart play by them

Sure was and yet again when trading our Future 1st Rounders we got it Wrong

Sure was and yet again when trading our Future 1st Rounders we got it Wrong
But we flagged, so you take more risks than you would if you didn't. In retrospect, he was available and wanted to come to us, and so far has not produced anywhere near his capabilities, however this year he had an alibi given family issues, so lets judge him next year.

What will be interesting to see is what the club does now, I have no doubt this time around we are going to be ultra aggressive, and getting Davies and Peatling age group is now critical to regenerate on the run.

Just for ##### & giggles, but I tend to agree. I know most of us hate the bloke, but he definitely would make us better.

Last edited:
I thought we wanted to give last year's pick, but Freo were pushing for this year. We were led to believe Freo were stockpiling picks for players to trade for, like Logan McDonald and others.

Freo gambled on us falling down the ladder this year, given our aging list.
Very smart play by them

It was never going to be any worse than the last pick of the first round which it was last year...

You mean a fair price for the best pressure forward in the league who was a pre-agent at the time? I think the fact that Petracca about faced so quickly is a good indicator of the type of deal it takes to get the biggest trade in history done. Petracca alongside Naicos and JDG is a mix that would be unrivalled league wide and is the type of mix that tips a club over the edge in a close competition. The fear mongering of people looking backwards not forwards isn’t enough to dissuade me of my faith in the list.

Biggest trade in history ? A 30yo not even best player in the league biggest in history?

We should try to target Brisbane’s first rounder wherever it lands as well as the deal for Sydney’s two firsts. 3 teenish picks puts us in the frame for a possible combination of Whitlock twins or a trade for Smith or Houston.
Wow, how do you propose we go from no 1st round pick this year to 3?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back