List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Its an interesting discussion . Schultz is the safe option in those choices. You get a solid AFL player, B grader who you can expect 5-7 years of good service. There will be plenty of picks 11 and 12 who won't reach that level. In a premeirship team wanting to load up again, who is really putting most eggs into one basket, its a very reasonable play.

However when you look through the pick 11 and 12s and see the names Curnow, Burgoyne, Wanganeen, Sidey, Butters, Pickett, Lynch, Greene, Higgins, Brad Johnston, Hayes, Glass etc etc you are giving up the chance of a generational or major A grader who you have for a whole career or if not sell at a premium. We probably need a few hits like that to come up in the next couple of years so giving up the higher than expected pick for Schultz could end up hurting a bit.

Giving up top 10 or low teen picks carries its own risks. Schultz was a good pick up but unless we rebound probably doesnt end up helping that much.
I think you nailed it. Contrary to the view that trading a first rounder is a risk - it's the opposite - it's the safe bet. You're going to get something for the pick, you're going to get it immediately as well. Neither is a given for the draft - with the latter being really unlikely.

The downside of the less risk is less potential for reward.

It really depends on your situation and strategy as to which is the best bet. If you need top end talent and don't need it immediately - take it to the draft. Otherwise trade it if someone worthwhile is there.

I disagree, your word is your bond.
Look at Bobby, Essendon obviously agreed to trade for him, f***** around and missed out on him.
We obviously told him we’d get it done, went bam and did the deal, (the next year).
Then we, as all club should, is state to the player what we will ultimately do to get the trade done.The club has responsibilities to the members.

The thing with Bobby is that we didn't mortgage our future and as such, success or failure, the price was ok.

What if GC had pledged to JFN that the trade would get done, can we then state we won't trade him for less than their pick 6? If we won't move, don't GC have to cough ups the pick.

I think players need to realise that there are values that clubs can't meet.
Personally, I would have told Schultz at the end of 23 that if we had to give a future first then we couldn't progress, I know many others disagree, and that's ok, but that's what I would have been very clear to him about.
I'd have said that at the end of 2024 we would give him a significant package if he was prepared to wait.

I have been thinking about this , as much I believe in our aging list having one more good premiership tilt left in it we should hold off on trading all future first picks until the first 2 or 3 drafts that Tasmania participate in. As Tasmania will no doubt have a significant access to the draft crop, some of those players taken with those picks will eventually be available at a lower price further down the track, as there will eventually be a talent squeeze in the tasmania squad . We have seen this happen with GC and gws and have benefitted from this as well. So we can still end up getting players from the draft we trade out off even if it is a few years wait.

So I wouldn't mind us keeping 2025 and 2026 first round picks, then trading out of the 2027,2028 or 2029 draft .

In the right set up Ash Johnson can be a decent third tall forward.

Take the Kangaroos for example - they play a battler like Toby Pink. If Ash Johnson isn't a better third tall forward option then I give up. Larkey and Comben as the 1-2?

Richmond - This is not a high benchmark but he is better than Kosi. Should get a game ahead of him I would have thought. Granted it will be a tough forward line to succeed in but still an option.

StKilda? - if Membrey leaves then an opportunity opens up. Ash is at least the equal of Camineti? Playing half your games at Marvel in perfect conditions should suit him.

Unfortunately I don't think he fits in that well to our forward line and probably needs a fresh start.
You’re severely overrating AJ. He’d be unlikely to get a game ahead of any of those players based on this years form.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone know when Tasmania will officially be part of the draft ? Will they be able to select underage talent ?
They haven’t released the rules yet so unsure. But it has been reported that it won’t be exactly the same as GWS and Gold Coast because they don’t want Tassie to have the same first few years (I.e. completely uncompetitive because they were fielding such young sides). One suggestion I’ve heard thrown around is that they may be given picks that they are required to trade (a bit like North’s rescue package last year) to steer them to recruiting more established talent, though I’m not sure if that was just journos spitballing or if the had more solid intel on what is being considered.

They haven’t released the rules yet so unsure. But it has been reported that it won’t be exactly the same as GWS and Gold Coast because they don’t want Tassie to have the same first few years (I.e. completely uncompetitive because they were fielding such young sides). One suggestion I’ve heard thrown around is that they may be given picks that they are required to trade (a bit like North’s rescue package last year) to steer them to recruiting more established talent, though I’m not sure if that was just journos spitballing or if the had more solid intel on what is being considered.
Yes, that's along the lines of how it will be. They'll try to lure mature age guns (26ish etc) to help with the young ones and also be competitive.
They don't want Tassie to do what GWS and Suns did.
They said they've learnt from those clubs and the draft picks won't be the same as they had. So it won't be as bad as people might think.

The down side to our team is, the Tasmanian guns like Howe, his son can choose Tassie or Collingwood as a F/S as like Riewoldts son etc.

The down side to our team is, the Tasmanian guns like Howe, his son can choose Tassie or Collingwood as a F/S as like Riewoldts son etc.
There was even talk that Tassie might get priority over kids from players from tassie.
But they could very well have a choice between clubs.

Wasn’t that when he played for the Bulldogs
Malthouse never coached Peter Daicos.
Daicos’ last coach was Leigh Matthews, who cut him at the end of 1994 (from memory).
Malthouse had issues with Hardie after Hardie won his Brownlow (‘85). Dogs made the Prelim in ‘85 but dropped off in ‘86. Malthouse was frustrated with Hardie because he wouldn’t play his position properly (back pocket). Hardie was loose and ran around doing his own thing. If reached a crescendo one match where Malthouse dragged Hardie. That was the end. Hardie ended up at the Bears next year. Hardie played 2 games for Pies in ‘92 when he was cooked.

I think you nailed it. Contrary to the view that trading a first rounder is a risk - it's the opposite - it's the safe bet. You're going to get something for the pick, you're going to get it immediately as well. Neither is a given for the draft - with the latter being really unlikely.

The downside of the less risk is less potential for reward.

It really depends on your situation and strategy as to which is the best bet. If you need top end talent and don't need it immediately - take it to the draft. Otherwise trade it if someone worthwhile is there.
In our case the immediacy was more important than the safety. Even hitting in the draft on a pick in the teens would have been a fair bit worse than Schultz this year. For a team coming off a flag it's a no brainer between a clear best 22 player at 25yo vs a draft pick at 12-13.

Dan Houston would be a good get, but not for two first round picks. If we're mortgaging our future in a trade it needs to be for a longer term player at this point. Don't think it's a good idea to trade for him now, at the very peak of his value and 4 years left on his contract. Has to be better value targets.

A first round pick plus Richards and some extras is more sensible, but doubt it's enough. Better to not pursue this one too hard, though would fit nicely into our team. Maybe I'm wrong though, soon we may be in need of older players to replace our retirees.

Yeah, those that have played 100 games for other clubs
That's what I posted before. Howe seems pretty excited about the Tassie team, as most Tasmanian footy fans are.
There's some DH's down here saying the money for the stadium should be used on medical upgrades, I've told them, that stadium money is only for the stadium, if the stadium isn't built, that money disappears, it won't be used for anything else in the state as it's separate to the state budget. They still don't get it.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back