List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Their not similar. Tomo is a much better player who can actually rebound and read the play much better.
I think so too. Better player who better complements what we've got. I'd prefer us to get Frost for his closing speed, but Tomlinson will be an upgrade on what we've got.

If we can somehow turn Richards, Noble and our future first into Houston, we've made out like bandits.

Houston is a genuine A grader.

Can't see it happening, but we'd be back up amongst flag favs with Houston and Perryman coming in.

Agree with the math. And I would concede, if we particularly take into account our first round drafting history, maybe we would be better off trading it for an established player.

I've always felt that the Pies haven't made great decisions in the first round, but hadn't looked at the data, so I went and looked at our track record in the past 24 years (yes, got a bit obsessed). It does not look flattering especially outside top 10 picks, F/S and NGA. I look at 2012 (ex Grundy), 2013 and 2020 in particular as big failures.

For whoever is interested (otherwise please feel free to ignore):

2000: Pick 3, Alan Didak (PASS, TOP 10)
2001: Pick 11, Richard Cole (FAIL)
2002:
2003: Pick 17, Billy Morrison (FAIL)
2004: Pick 10, Chris Egan (FAIL)
2005: Pick 2 Daisy Thomas (PASS, TOP 10) and Pick 5 Scott Pendlebury (PASS, TOP 10)
2006: Pick 8 Ben Reid (PASS, TOP 10) and Pick 10 Nathan Brown (PASS, TOP 10)
2007:
2008: Pick 11 Sidebottom (PASS)
2009:
2010:
2011:
2012: pick 18 Brody Grundy (PASS), 19 Ben Kennedy (FAIL), 20 Tim Broomhead (FAIL)
2013: pick 6 Matthew Scharenberg (FAIL), pick 10 Nathan Freeman (FAIL)
2014: pick 5 Jordy De Goey (PASS, TOP 10), pick 9 Darcy Moore (PASS, F/S)
2015:
2016:
2017: pick 6 Jaidyn Stephenson (other than the first year, FAIL)
2018: pick 13 Isaac Quaynor (PASS, NGA)
2019:
2020: pick 17 Ollie Henry (FAIL - but likely ends up a pretty good player for Geelong), 19 Fin Macrae (FAIL), 23 Reef McInnes (FAIL)
2021: pick 4 Nick Daicos (PASS, TOP 10 AND F/S)
2022: pick 19 Ed Allan (?)
2023: pick 25 Harry De Mattia (?)
I always find it amusing that people put Henry in the fail category just because he asked to be traded, despite the fact that he’ll play 100+ games, and potentially 200+.

Like, ok you’re still bitter but don’t take it out on our recruiters who correctly identified him as AFL level talent.

Hi lads. Not sure how much weight to put on the Houston rumour, but if true & given your limited draft hand, would Harvey Harrison possibly be put on trade table?
Yes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I always find it amusing that people put Henry in the fail category just because he asked to be traded, despite the fact that he’ll play 100+ games, and potentially 200+.

Like, ok you’re still bitter but don’t take it out on our recruiters who correctly identified him as AFL level talent.

They may have identified the talent but they totally underestimated the go home factor. Wasted pick in the end. Hopefully they have learnt a valuable lesson.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Tomlinson is hall of fame bad

He will replace Jack Frost on our worst key defender list
No offence, but I've got a bit more faith in the opinion of the match committees who've picked him 185 times and our footy department who are supposedly interested in him, as well as thinking he looks fine when I've seen him, admittedly without any attention.

Henry is a talent, but he was always going back to Geelong.
Our recruiters should have listened to Eddie McGuire and picked Holmes instead.
Anyway, move on and find our next star.

They may have identified the talent but they totally underestimated the go home factor. Wasted pick in the end. Hopefully they have learnt a valuable lesson.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
No, as a club if we’re going to be able to identify the best talent we need to back ourselves in to retain said talent. The only thing your supposed “lesson” would achieve is clubs passing over the best talent and allowing them to walk where they want to for fear of them going home, which would lead to an even more compromised draft.

Henry is a talent, but he was always going back to Geelong.
Our recruiters should have listened to Eddie McGuire and picked Holmes instead.
Anyway, move on and find our next star.
What happened here?
I know we liked him but for some reason went w Macrae (game style?)

Well, over 2015-2023, assuming P Gothard is no good, that's still a 90% hit rate
Over 24 years from 2000-2023, its 16 guns which is 67% hit rate
Personally I'd be very happy with those odds :shrug:
Look, my point is not so much that Pick 12 is amazing. Its more that Pick 12 and an F1 (likely also in a similar range), plus a list leading salary, I would be hoping to get a bonafide backline gun like J Sicily, an Alex Rance in his prime. Or a midfield superstar like Green or Butters or Petracca to partner with Nick Daicos
Speaking of a midfield superstar like Petracca, I heard directly from a board member of MelbFC that Petracca is truly pissed at the club and is a certainty to be at the Pies in 2026. This may be an influence on how we deal with F1 this year. Might even limit how hard we go at Houston? Obviously a long way to go and I'm not sure about the guy's judgement (in 2023 he was sure Melb were going to win and was dismissive of the Pies!) I think it does confirm Trac's mindset thou

Hi lads. Not sure how much weight to put on the Houston rumour, but if true & given your limited draft hand, would Harvey Harrison possibly be put on trade table?
Personally, I would prefer to keep him. He's going to be a gun.

That's fair and reasonable but do you have any better key defender options because otherwise we're left with Frampton, Eyre and Dean and young has all 3 covered. We don't have picks to get a gun defender. By your logic, we just keep doing what we're doing and that's worse than bringing in a Young or tomlinson. At least give us some options otherwise you’re just yanking your own chain.
I don’t want Young because he lacks hardness and competitiveness which are major weaknesses in a defender.
No surprise Voss who values those traits wants to move him.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back