List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Cats pick is getting later and later for the dogs and if they don’t want to give up a future first surely our picks would be better for the dogs over the cats. Any chance we could jump in front for smith?

Our picks are tied to Hawthorn's position.

Unfortunately we have paid them to take Ginnivan off our Hans...

Was an absolute balls up of a trade period last season.

Need to invest much heavier into the draft and luck out in the RIGHT draft to do that.

I just hope by going full ham after 2023 we don't blow Nick Daicos best years with nothing to show for it.

Would love to somehow trade into top 20 this draft.
We do but we aren't in a position to do anything in this draft. Next year is when we try and load up on picks. Our list is fine, just need to add a good midfielder or two

We just had Hawks, Geelong and Richmond dominate long periods of which they walked away with 3 flags in thier reign.

Pies also really have done a good job with 2001 - 03, 2007 - 2012, 2018, 2022 -23/?.
Strong and successful periods.

We buukt a dynasty side in 2010 imo but never capitalised off it. This was largely done through the draft to get the core and then as it matured added the missing bits (Ball and Jolly).

The other years we aimed to pinch them never built to truly be a dominant force for 5 years plus.
The 'We just won a flag' so you guys have to lay off any criticism for a few years, is exactly how clubs drift and lose their way afterwards for a little while or for decades.

I'td be footy expenditure directly related to the footy department, occurring in the next season. Why wouldn't it be counted?

No team does it. There's got to be a reason for it

A few teams were doing it but then the AFL increased the punishment.
Maybe they've been told to not do it by HQ.

It would be expenditure in that year, then the following would be in that year and so on.

Who would 2024 over spending flow into 2025 budgets?
Unless sit specifically states that any carry over will start eating into 2025.

Our picks are tied to Hawthorn's position.

Unfortunately we have paid them to take Ginnivan off our Hans...

Was an absolute balls up of a trade period last season.
It wasn't the best. Hawthorn handle ginni much different to us. They embrace ginni's idiosyncrasies and had no problem with him being at the pub the night before. Not sure I like the "my way or the highway " mantra we have atm. We can't be giving away players for nothing because they are a little bit different

Who would 2024 over spending flow into 2025 budgets?
Unless sit specifically states that any carry over will start eating into 2025.
You'd get the bill for it in 2025. They can't bill you until the year is up and they know how much you've exceeded by. No idea whether it'd be treated as footy department expenditure or not. I wouldn't be surprised if it was though.

It wasn't the best. Hawthorn handle ginni much different to us. They embrace ginni's idiosyncrasies and had no problem with him being at the pub the night before. Not sure I like the "my way or the highway " mantra we have atm. We can't be giving away players for nothing because they are a little bit different
The irony is, this was always the knock on bucks, but actually this far into mcraes tenure he has demonstrated far less patience for character and off field shenanigans than bucks did.

The 'We just won a flag' so you guys have to lay off any criticism for a few years, is exactly how clubs drift and lose their way afterwards for a little while or for decades.

I understand your point - but some of us restate the ‘we just won a flag’ line to remind posters that the club is not incompetent or a basket case. The smarts we utilised to get that flag are still there - be it game plan, recruiting, player development, etc.

We may have tripped up this year, but we still have the corporate competence and knowledge to hopefully avoid the dreaded ‘drift’.

Our players close to retirement are runners. We need a couple of mids to replace them and we'll be fine. When you have Nick, your always going to be there abouts, he just needs support

Yup and I remember the late 90s with Buckley.

Also we have little KPP youth coming through.

Will take 3 years to rejuvenate the list and by then our KPP will be either retired or old as.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I understand your point - but some of us restate the ‘we just won a flag’ line to remind posters that the club is not incompetent or a basket case. The smarts we utilised to get that flag are still there - be it game plan, recruiting, player development, etc.

We may have tripped up this year, but we still have the corporate competence and knowledge to hopefully avoid the dreaded ‘drift’.

I think there are 2 schools of thought in here.

The happy to pinch one every 15 to 20 years by lucking out with everything going right group.
Ie one of or all the following, gamplan catches comp out, belief run of luck, no injuries, one of the top teams in that season but not necessarily outright best team over 5 years.
I would say 2002, 2018 and 2023 fit this mould.

Then there are those who who are willing to take the dip and build a core group to come through and trade for needs once on the rise. To become a truly dominant side.
Looking for a sustained run as one of the comps best teams for 5 or 6 seasons plus.

Pies 2010/11/12 team was built with this in mind.
Hawks and Cats 00s/10s, and Richmond

The thing with relying on it all clicking for 1 season is you get 2002 when there is a much better side against you.

We just had Hawks, Geelong and Richmond dominate long periods of which they walked away with 3 flags in thier reign.

Pies also really have done a good job with 2001 - 03, 2007 - 2012, 2018, 2022 -23/?.
Strong and successful periods.

We buukt a dynasty side in 2010 imo but never capitalised off it. This was largely done through the draft to get the core and then as it matured added the missing bits (Ball and Jolly).

The other years we aimed to pinch them never built to truly be a dominant force for 5 years plus.
In terms of list, 2018-now is really one era, but things went wrong off field in the middle of it.

We had Pendles, Sidey, Howe, Maynard, JDG, Crisp, Checkers, Cox Elliott, Crisp, Adams, WHE, Moore there for all of it and could have had Treloar and Grundy too.

This is what I was responding to:

"We've had a couple of hits but we need to do more. I'm not sure Derek likes going to games watching mature aged footballers....If we going to dump a few players off the list, we might use the lower parts of the draft. to pick up more mature players and/or indigenous players in the WAFL and SANFL or similar levels.

THe other opening is irish players. I usually hate this kind of recruitment but it's desperate times."

It was strange to be suggesting we weren't looking at this avenues.

at times like these, i just give up and say that you're right. Our recruitment is first class. Derek is picking winners most of the time. As people have said, we won a premiership last year, so Derek must be one of the most successful recruiters in the league. Finn is a star, Reef is a star. I think all pie members are well satisfied with jakob ryan and harry demattia. Obviously I cant question derek's astute choice of nick daicos as a first rounder. Well done Derek. We are more than ready for the transition from the older players and we should return to and remain in the top four for the next decade.

The only suggestion that i would make is to return derek to the postion of list manager. I'm sure that you'd love it too, SR. We were flying when he was in charge. I'd love to return to those days.

I think there are 2 schools of thought in here.

The happy to pinch one every 15 to 20 years by lucking out with everything going right group.
Ie one of or all the following, gamplan catches comp out, belief run of luck, no injuries, one of the top teams in that season but not necessarily outright best team over 5 years.
I would say 2002, 2018 and 2023 fit this mould.

Then there are those who who are willing to take the dip and build a core group to come through and trade for needs once on the rise. To become a truly dominant side.
Looking for a sustained run as one of the comps best teams for 5 or 6 seasons plus.

Pies 2010/11/12 team was built with this in mind.
Hawks and Cats 00s/10s, and Richmond

The thing with relying on it all clicking for 1 season is you get 2002 when there is a much better side against you.
I’m happy to have seen three flags.

We do but we aren't in a position to do anything in this draft. Next year is when we try and load up on picks. Our list is fine, just need to add a good midfielder or two

Isn't next year McGuane draft? Or is it the year after?

Apparently this is the year to load up on, very strong top 25.

At this stage all be it a full season of development to go next year isn't looking as good.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back