List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Their FS's will go outside the top 30, so easily to match
But I think all suitors will find it hard to do a deal for houston. He may have to stay

Unless carlton comes to terms with the fact they'll need to use pick 11 if they want him

One of the camporeale brothers is meant to give very very high. Unless he played dead this season.

It would be refreshing but unfortunately the footy public view the act of calling out a players name on draft night a binding for life and that that player is indentured in perpetuity. Consequently any player leaving the club that initially drafted them is seen a violent traitor that threatens the very legitimacy of the sport.

So players have to come up with better reason than just money to quell the masses.
Yeah too much overreacting from supporters and the media. Most don’t care.

I do however care. Grudges are fun! Ginny and Henry can rot forever! And to a lesser extent Tay (maybe welcomed back if your progeny prove to be talented - until then GTFO!)

Can't let the bloooze get another bargain. Big mistake. They get Walkers son next year who could go number 1.

If they can play, we don't have any say in them getting a bargain - unless you're suggesting a good old fashioned knee capping, which might be the way to go.

If they can play, we don't have any say in them getting a bargain - unless you're suggesting a good old fashioned knee capping, which might be the way to go.

Surely a club can make a bid on the good brother? I'm not saying that club has to be us. Most likely the Tigers?

He's not getting to a contending club and being an automatic in their midfield. If he comes to us and is willing to play some other roles for a while, you'd think he'd at least get a chance to show what he's got in the midfield down the track with our impending departures
Agree. His versatility is actually what appeals to me and as you say he should get his chance to get more midfield time down the track if not immediately.

Agree. His versatility is actually what appeals to me and as you say he should get his chance to get more midfield time down the track if not immediately.
I think he would at Port too though - if he's good enough for midfield. Boak and Wines aren't going to last forever.

Honestly it kind of feels like we’re positioning ourselves to extract max value in a trade for him, at least to me.

Give him an offer that on the surface looks like we want to keep him but make sure it’s not as enticing as Ports deal, then use the fact we’ve offered him the revised contract as proof we want to keep him and drive a hard bargain at the trade table.

Of course I could be completely wrong. It’s just my gut feel.
Isn't he out of contract and therefore any offer we make to retain him is irrelevant when it comes to negotiating power at the trade table? Unless I don't fully understand what 'out of contract' means

Who wants to connect the dots:

Collingwood: In - Perryman (FA). Out- Noble (Trade), Richards (Trade)
Port: In - Cumming (FA), Lukosius (Trade), Richards (Trade). Out - Houston (Trade)
Carlton: In - Houston (Trade).
GCS: In - Noble (Trade). Out - Lukosius (Trade)

Resources:
Collingwood: Picks 33, 48 & 51
Port: Picks 36 & 54 + (Soldo Pick)
Carlton: Picks 11, 31, 62, 65 & 68 + Kennedy
GCS: Picks 6, 12, 20, 26, 35 & 46

Isn't he out of contract and therefore any offer we make to retain him is irrelevant when it comes to negotiating power at the trade table? Unless I don't fully understand what 'out of contract' means
It would only be irrelevant if Richards was willing to knock back a three year offer from us to go through the draft. I’m guessing faced with that choice he’ll choose up so the onus is on Port to come up with a deal that satisfies us to bring him across.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pendles said last night that he is gonna come back in the best shape he's ever been in, to be as fit as he has been in 20 years, so give 2025 one last shot.
I would like to think Pendles can go on for 2 more years. One because he is still more than good enough at the level, and two, because I would love for him to break the all-time games record before he retires.

So would a three way trade be possible between us, Gold Coast and Port that winds up with Houston landing with us?
If we had our first round pick.

Which Im not angry about.
Certainly not getting angrier with all the possible players available.
I’ve matured.
Not angry.
Nope.

Port: In - Cumming (FA), Lukosius (Trade), Richards (Trade). Out - Houston (Trade)

Resources:
Might as well add the Rioli moves in as well! I can sense an 18 club mega deal for Cooney to discuss for two weeks.

Resources:
Too hard. GC will probably do multiple trades with their early picks and end up trading very different picks than they currently hold.

Sort of but not really. For example, do you think we’d have a stronger hand at the trade table if we had an out of contract player who we hadn’t offered a contract to, or one that we not only had offered a contract to, but then upped said offer?
While it might not make a difference to the players decision, we’re showing our intent to try and retain him which potentially adds perceived value at the trade table.

Last night's brownlow count made one thing abundantly clear, Carlton and Collingwood rely too much on the one player to carry their midfield and win them games. The swans on the other hand have 3 top 10-15 mids who can all share the load . As much as fly wants a kpf , as enticing as Houston looks, we have to prioritize our salary cap and draft allocation towards building a midfield around Nick. What's the point of investing heavily in fwds if there isn't a capable midfield that is going to be able to deliver them the ball consistently.

Last night's brownlow count made one thing abundantly clear, Carlton and Collingwood rely too much on the one player to carry their midfield and win them games. The swans on the other hand have 3 top 10-15 mids who can all share the load . As much as fly wants a kpf , as enticing as Houston looks, we have to prioritize our salary cap and draft allocation towards building a midfield around Nick. What's the point of investing heavily in fwds if there isn't a capable midfield that is going to be able to deliver them the ball consistently.

Agree. But we also have a lot of holes when it comes to KPP.

Our midfield did stack up pretty well against the best in the comp and I’m sure we are planning for the future so I’m not too bothered.

To be fair, De Goey played all year hurt and still managed two 3 vote games and a 2 voter.

So a fit De Goey would be part of the equation.

We also had no Mitchell all season. Allen appears like he could take the next step next season, we seem to be turning Beau into a midfielder and McGuane will be in there in 2026.

So I'm not sure if the situation is as dire as it may look on the surface in 2024

I do agree in parts, healthy balance would be to have another player get 15/16 votes alongside Daicos.

We also didn't make finals, win enough games.

DeGoey has never really been a vote getter and was injured most of the year.
J Daicos plays on a wing and wingman have never been strong vote getters.
Mitchell barley played.
Crisp always seems to be around the 8-11 vote mark each year.
Pendles old but has the most votes ever.

Daicos and Cripps are just superstars that umpires froth over, they are always getting the 3 if half a chance.

I do agree in parts, healthy balance would be to have another player get 15/16 votes alongside Daicos.

We also didn't make finals, win enough games.

DeGoey has never really been a vote getter and was injured most of the year.
J Daicos plays on a wing and wingman have never been strong vote getters.
Mitchell barley played.
Crisp always seems to be around the 8-11 vote mark each year.
Pendles old but has the most votes ever.

Daicos and Cripps are just superstars that umpires froth over, they are always getting the 3 if half a chance.
It is about midfielders who can absolutely take over a game and swing the results their teams way.
We only have naicos with that ability, and degoey to a certain extent (although I am worried about his body going forward, hopefully I will be proven wrong ).
The mids you listed are serviceable but they are not game busters. The swans trio are all game busters in their own right, even the dogs with treloar and bont have two players who can just take over a game by themselves.
I merely wish we have another game winner or two alongside naicos. Sort of like when we had swan and pendles, who were destructive operators and tore teams apart by themselves.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back