List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

- NEW POSTER & URGENT - RE: HARRY PERRYMAN -

Hi guys,

Been reading these forums for 20 years but felt compelled to register an account and give my thoughts account after seeing that we are looking to offer Harry Perryman a godfather offer to come to the pies.

As an avid footy watcher, I have always thought Perryman was an ok if not average player, but definitely a player that has never stood out.
I think many of us have probably had an inflated view of his quality, based on the fact that he has always been a regular in a pretty strong GWS team.

Anyway, considering the reports that we have offered Perryman a godfather circa 7-year $850k (based on media estimates) I felt compelled to do more research on him.

This led me to a feature on the AFL app which lets you view every possession/contest a player has been involved in during a game over the last few years.

For anyone that wants to do this for themselves go onto the AFL app click on the stats tab and then enter a players name in the search box and then click highlights, and each game will pop up to select.

I did this for Perryman and what I found was pretty underwhelming.
After seeing majority of his possessions/involvements in his games over the last few years, it is pretty clear that Perryman is NOT a player we should be targeting, especially at the wages/years quoted.

In summary:

• He is a very slow player (which most of us know), but this is further exacerbated by the fact that he seems to always coast/jog through play, very rarely taking the game on, which really limits his effectiveness as a rebounder.
  • Most of his possessions are uncontested / under no pressure, and consist of chips around the back 50 and wings.
  • In the rare occasion that he has the ball under pressure or tries to open up play, he seems to always make an error disposing of the ball (which was a suprise as he has always been talked about as a smart/good user).
  • He looks to be a relatively average (if not poor) level one-on-one defender and has shown almost zero evidence of being an effective intercept marker.
  • Overall, he just seems to be an awkward style footballer, who is a 5/10 in most areas but doesn’t excel at any particular aspect of the game.
While I understand the need to replace Noble, it is pretty clear that Perryman is not the answer. In fact, if that’s what we wanted, then Perryman’s fellow-free agent teammate Isaac Cumming is the answer, who is practically a taller, quicker, stronger, better marking version of Noble - noting that Cumming has only received 4-year deals from SA. Someone like Nick Hind is a cheaper alternative.

Would love someone else to go through the same exercise and see if they come to a different conclusion. I personally struggle to see any evidence/passages of play to suggest he is worth any more than $450-500k p.a.
While I more than most hope Perryman turns out to be a great player for the club (if he does sign), the more I look at this pursuit the more it wreaks of desperation. We have worked so hard to correct the salary cap, only to fail to find any suitable targets, to the point we are now overreaching for a vanilla run-of-the mill player we don’t need. I personally would rather bank the money for someone that can push us closer to another premiership.

Previously, I have had the same sinking feeling when we traded:

• Our future 1st in 2020 for practically peanuts (which cost us a 15-year superstar in Fin Callaghan);
  • and our future 1st in 2023 (which ultimately cost us Petracca this year).
Let’s hope this short-sighted move doesn’t cost us LDU/Brayshaw/Rayner in 2025 or Ben King in 2026.

FWIW - I did the same exercise for James Peatling and have a much more positive outlook on his potential. Looks to be a more dynamic version of James Row-bottom/Jack Steele.
IDK, but Perryman looks much better than some of them quotes. It contradicts the fact that he's been chased by 3 or 4 clubs that we know of. I seriously doubt Peatling could have the same impact in the midfield compared to Perryman. Perryman is a strong mark and a beautiful kick. His lack of pace was well documented in his draft year but only when compared to really qick midfielders of that draft. He still went at pick 14. I reckon we see him as the Pendles replacement running through the middle and half back. Inconsistency is Peatlings problem.

Hi guys,

Been reading these forums for 20 years but felt compelled to register an account and give my thoughts account after seeing that we are looking to offer Harry Perryman a godfather offer to come to the pies.

As an avid footy watcher, I have always thought Perryman was an ok if not average player, but definitely a player that has never stood out.
I think many of us have probably had an inflated view of his quality, based on the fact that he has always been a regular in a pretty strong GWS team.

Anyway, considering the reports that we have offered Perryman a godfather circa 7-year $850k (based on media estimates) I felt compelled to do more research on him.

This led me to a feature on the AFL app which lets you view every possession/contest a player has been involved in during a game over the last few years.

For anyone that wants to do this for themselves go onto the AFL app click on the stats tab and then enter a players name in the search box and then click highlights, and each game will pop up to select.

After seeing majority of his possessions/involvements in his games over the last few years, it is pretty clear that Perryman is NOT a player we should be targeting, especially at the wages/years quoted.

In summary:

• He is a very slow player (which most of us know), but this is further exacerbated by the fact that he seems to always coast/jog through play, very rarely taking the game on, which really limits his effectiveness as a rebounder.
  • Most of his possessions are uncontested / under no pressure, and consist of chips around the back 50 and wings.
  • In the rare occasion that he has the ball under pressure or tries to open up play, he seems to always make an error disposing of the ball (which was a suprise as he has always been talked about as a smart/good user).
  • He looks to be a relatively average (if not poor) level one-on-one defender and has shown almost zero evidence of being an effective intercept marker.
  • Overall, he just seems to be an awkward style footballer, who is a 5/10 in most areas but doesn’t excel at any particular aspect of the game.
While I understand the need to replace Noble, it is pretty clear that Perryman is not the answer. In fact, if that’s what we wanted, then Perryman’s fellow-free agent teammate Isaac Cumming is the answer, who is practically a taller, quicker, stronger, better marking version of Noble - noting that Cumming has only received 4-year deals from SA. Someone like Nick Hind is a cheaper alternative.

Would love someone else to go through the same exercise and see if they come to a different conclusion. I personally struggle to see any evidence/passages of play to suggest he is worth any more than $450-500k p.a.
While I more than most hope Perryman turns out to be a great player for the club (if he does sign), the more I look at this pursuit the more it wreaks of desperation. We have worked so hard to correct the salary cap, only to fail to find any suitable targets, to the point we are now overreaching for a vanilla run-of-the mill player we don’t need. I personally would rather bank the money for someone that can push us closer to another premiership.

• Our future 1st in 2020 for practically peanuts (which cost us a 15-year superstar in Fin Callaghan);
Let’s hope this short-sighted move doesn’t cost us LDU/Brayshaw/Rayner in 2025 or Ben King in 2026.

FWIW - I did the same exercise for James Peatling and have a much more positive outlook on his potential. Looks to be a more dynamic version of James Row-bottom/Jack Steele.
No, it didn’t cost us Callaghan. There is no way North would have allowed us to take pick 2 and Daicos. There would have been a bid on Nick knowing we would need to match.

IDK, but Perryman looks much better than some of them quotes. It contradicts the fact that he's been chased by 3 or 4 clubs that we know of. I seriously doubt Peatling could have the same impact in the midfield compared to Perryman. Perryman is a strong mark and a beautiful kick. His lack of pace was well documented in his draft year but only when compared to really qick midfielders of that draft. He still went at pick 14. I reckon we see him as the Pendles replacement running through the middle and half back. Inconsistency is Peatlings problem.
When I looked at the YouTube highlights of Perryman posted a few pages back, what did strike me is that his style of game looks like it will seamlessly blend in with the rest of our team and game plan. It looks like he’d suit us.

So maybe that’s how Fly sees home making us better.

Either that or he’ll be the best paid whipping boy since Grunders.

When I looked at the YouTube highlights of Perryman posted a few pages back, what did strike me is that his style of game looks like it will seamlessly blend in with the rest of our team and game plan. It looks like he’d suit us.

So maybe that’s how Fly sees home making us better.

Either that or he’ll be the best paid whipping boy since Grunders.

What is the endurance of Perryman like? (Given Hines comments about if you can't cover the ground etc)

Me too-Kinky, Ronnie Wearmouth and Ricky Barham were mine

I’d add Ray Shaw to that list. I adored him.

Loved Ronnie too - but years later when I saw him very drunk at a Port Fairy pub, the dream was shattered. He was the publican at the time.☹️

My issue with Tomlinson is that he’s always played with elite defenders and never been close to being one himself. That’s not to say we’re expecting a star, but playing with stars has made it much easier for him to play as many games as he has.

He’s a below average player, always has been and that’s being kind. The GWS Tomlinson is the most staggeringly overrated player I believe I’ve ever seen. Wanted to scratch my eyeballs out watching his name proposed every year by our supporters and other teams’. GWS moved on from him and became significantly better defensively, and he’s added very little to Melbourne despite playing with May and Lever the whole time.

At least Dunn played in a crapshoot Melbourne with an awful midfield letting in so many entries for so many years.

I’m not convinced Tomlinson is an upgrade on Frampton. We do need to boost depth but I’d rather someone with scope at least. James Blanck can play, and he’s not getting a game at Hawthorn next year.

100%. Don't get the love. Slow, not many touches, mostly uncontested, not a lot of tackles, 2.5 clangers per game.

Don't waste salary cap on filler.
I'm assuming you're basing this off his last couple of seasons down back. He was averaging 22 disposals per game in 21/22 when he got to play more midfield/wing. One of those season he also averaged 4.8 tackles a game.

I very much doubt we are targeting Perryman to play down back, because otherwise I would agree with you.

Checked the Dees board and Tomlinson has only hit 5 pages since being picked up in 2019!
Nothing since last year, did find this though…
“Interesting stat, the last 17 times Tomo, May and Lever have played together we've won. Yep, we're on a 17-0 winning streak with the three of them since late 2020”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi guys,

In summary:

A 20 year lurker through two premierships, every scandle, two coaching changes and umpteen trades, but Perryman’s recruitment is what motivates you to post? That’s hilarious!

Thanks for the tip on the highlights I’d never stumbled across that feature before and it looks a winner that. Perryman’s coming as a mid so most of his highlights on ball use, ability to defend and type of possession aren’t particularly relevant.

IMO, you’ve hit the nail on the head that he’s a somewhat average footballer what’s changed though is that with the increases to the salary cap in order to bring in an average footballer at no trade cost you have to pay $800k in 2025. Since signing Dan McStay the salary cap will have increased by 25% so this deal is effectively the same money as Dan so I’m not buying it hampering our ability to attract a high end FA. I’m personally much more concerned on that front by what we’re paying the likes of JDG and Naicos who should be on $1.2m + if we’re throwing $800k at Perryman…

I'm assuming you're basing this off his last couple of seasons down back. He was averaging 22 disposals per game in 21/22 when he got to play more midfield/wing. One of those season he also averaged 4.8 tackles a game.

I very much doubt we are targeting Perryman to play down back, because otherwise I would agree with you.
Exactly. Good post.

It’s apparent that the role we see for him is as a defensive in and under midfielder to support Nick and Jordie. Essentially the Tom Mitchell role.

He’s not being recruited for his recent role at GWS.

AFL Website

Dan Houston is yet to nominate a preferred club for 2025 and beyond

THEN ...​

don't rule out Collingwood. Genuine interest. This club won't be dying wondering in the trade period.

While the money is a little high (free agent tax), I think he will be a good player for us.

He will come in and play as a midfield foil to Daicos & DeGoey. From what I have seen, while not very quick of feet, he is clean and strong over the footy. His recruitment will allow us to push Crisp back to half back, who will replace the Noble drive off half back.

Hi guys,

In summary:

Out of everything that has occurred at Collingwood in the past 20 years, why has a potential recruitment of Harry Perryman been the thing that motivates you to create an account and comment?

Out of everything that has occurred at Collingwood in the past 20 years, why has a potential recruitment of Harry Perryman been the thing that motivates you to create an account and comment?
Because we are overpaying yet again. Seems like we’re just smashing the piñata at a party and waiting to see whose name comes out! Ridiculous money and not targeted at all.

Hey guys Tomlinson is so so shit, can we please never mention his name again, he completely sucks will always suck and will never not suck

Actually makes this thread unreadable seeing his name with genuine comments about his footballing ability

Feel like I’m back in 2017 reading this shit about him he is so bad and will probably retire

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I hope we get him now, purely because it will upset you.

My issue with Tomlinson is that he’s always played with elite defenders and never been close to being one himself. That’s not to say we’re expecting a star, but playing with stars has made it much easier for him to play as many games as he has.

He’s a below average player, always has been and that’s being kind. The GWS Tomlinson is the most staggeringly overrated player I believe I’ve ever seen. Wanted to scratch my eyeballs out watching his name proposed every year by our supporters and other teams’. GWS moved on from him and became significantly better defensively, and he’s added very little to Melbourne despite playing with May and Lever the whole time.

At least Dunn played in a crapshoot Melbourne with an awful midfield letting in so many entries for so many years.

I’m not convinced Tomlinson is an upgrade on Frampton. We do need to boost depth but I’d rather someone with scope at least. James Blanck can play, and he’s not getting a game at Hawthorn next year.
Hes hopeless

Panicky Fumbly and gets completely lost in aerial contests

It's hilarious looking back to see the same people who are scoffing at thought of bringing over Perryman were all on-board the Stringer-train a couple weeks back. Obviously not all of you, but a worrying few...

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back