List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

You simply can’t neglect your future, to go all in for the now. If we don’t win a flag next year, we’re up against it in the three years beyond that.

Pendles, Checkers, Sidey, Howe, Cox, Elliott, WHE, Mitchell will all go in the years following next.

A balance must be struck in order to challenge every 10 years. This is not the right strategy at all.

What kind of loser mentality has a club wanting to challenge every 10 years?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Perfect example of my point. You've already decided that we were going to draft better players than the ones we traded in. Who says that the picks traded for Treloar weren't going to turn into Sharenberg/Freeman types?
Who says Huston doesn’t do his ACL day one of preseason and never make it back. Taking two picks to the draft defrays the risk. Yes there is a chance both end up as busts but same with the player you bring in

Two clubs are at the centre of what is shaping as an intriguing trade period and are set to play a major role in the fortunes of a series of Melbourne rivals.

Four Victorian clubs – St Kilda, Collingwood, Western Bulldogs and Melbourne – as well as West Coast, are trying to prise breakout midfielder James Peatling from GWS, while Port Adelaide football boss Chris Davies conceded on Thursday the Magpies now lead the race for Harry Perryman.

Another GWS player, Isaac Cumming, has already announced he will exercise his unrestricted free agency rights to sign with Adelaide, while first-round pick Conor Stone, Xavier O’Halloran and little-known swingman Wade Derksen are also on rivals’ radars.

The Power are annual movers and shakers in the player movement period, and contracted back-to-back All-Australian Dan Houston’s wish to return to Melbourne is the biggest potential deal this year.
Carlton and North Melbourne lead a long list of Houston suitors, which might again include the Demons, but need to convince the star defender they can stump up enough to get a deal done. Houston, who is contracted through to the 2028 season, says he is willing to stay at Alberton if a trade can’t be arranged.
At least one first-round pick will be required, and Port would prefer that to be in this year’s strong and deep draft, although the Blues and Roos want to use their top selections, which are at 11 and two, respectively.
Gold Coast’s top selection – No.12 – is in play, and a potential key to unlocking the Houston trade, given the Suns will trade it, as they will match a bid on academy prospect Leo Lombard, who is projected to be taken just before or around that.
Brisbane will also move their top pick, which is No.18, because they will match bids on father-son gun Levi Ashcroft and academy prospect Sam Marshall.

Port have already secured Sun Jack Lukosius’ trade commitment, will offload Ivan Soldo – likely to St Kilda – and are trying to pinch Joe Richards from Collingwood.
They also have a young forward in Ollie Lord who has Melbourne clubs interested, too, but Charlie Dixon’s retirement and Todd Marshall’s concussion issues mean they are reluctant to let him go.

Perryman wants more midfield time, which is unlikely to occur at the Giants, and his free agency offers are audacious enough for him to almost certainly depart.

Peatling, who burst to life late in the season as a midfielder, looms as a different story. GWS added a third year to their offer ahead of their heartbreaking semi-final defeat to Brisbane before Peatling and his agent, Winston Rous, met with Melbourne suitors in the past week.

There is more confidence at the Giants of him staying than Perryman, whose decision appears intrinsically linked to Stone’s future.
Stone was the No.15 pick out of the Oakleigh Chargers four years ago, but has only 13 games to his name and never more than five in one season.
However, Cumming’s departure, which will likely be followed by Perryman, presents a big opportunity for Stone, who performed strongly at both ends of the ground in the VFL, but looms as a half-back/winger-type in 2025.
Derksen, who has not played a senior game since being a mid-season draft selection two years ago, has requested a trade, but is contracted until the end of 2025. Melbourne, who need key position help at both ends, are the most interested in him.

O’Halloran, who has caught the Bulldogs’ eye, also has a year left on his contract, meaning the Giants do not have to, and so far, are unwilling to, trade either him or Derksen.
Nick Haynes, an All-Australian four years ago and now in the twilight of his career, will exercise his unrestricted free agency rights to sign with Carlton.

Pretty big unders. Media have speculated that North have offered their future first, which most would be thinking thats a 1-5 pick next year. If he picked us then the only way I can see us getting it done would be involving splitting out future first into this year and adding on to pick 12 for Noble (which I still think we would need to add more in to get done). Something like Noble Richards and Future 1st for Houston and a future third (for points).

Like we thought with Hawks 2024 picks when we traded in 2023?

Last edited:
You simply can’t neglect your future, to go all in for the now. If we don’t win a flag next year, we’re up against it in the three years beyond that.

Pendles, Checkers, Sidey, Howe, Cox, Elliott, WHE, Mitchell will all go in the years following next.

A balance must be struck in order to challenge every 10 years. This is not the right strategy at all.
IMO, the club needs to go all in winning flags every year, and aim for exactly that, by bringing in needed players, with some savvy recruiting in the next 24 months we may almost cover all retirements. And at the same time, stays in the hunts for more flags, we should be aiming to stay in it as long as possible, as Geelong does, and maybe pinch the odd draft pick player here and there on a needs basis. remembering Tasmania is coming in to ruin the draft for a few years so shop early and hard IMO.

In Fly we trust.

The Dogs weren't interested in retaining Lipinski, nor were they particularly optimistic about his chances of playing senior footy with them.

We have an offer on the table for Richards that we recently increased. Our primary intention is to retain him and play him in our best 22.

That makes the price different.

If they want to be dickheads about the price they're willing to pay, I'd back ourselves to talk him into staying rather than entering the draft system of he doesn't get the trade.
A quick google suggest the dogs offered him a 3 year contract that he rejected to choose the pies. It's always funny to me how fringe players become best 22 once someone else wants them. Richards is worth a junk pick. I hope he stays.

Who says Huston doesn’t do his ACL day one of preseason and never make it back. Taking two picks to the draft defrays the risk. Yes there is a chance both end up as busts but same with the player you bring in
I think that your way off with this line of thinking. There is a much higher chance of both of the two picks not getting to heights of Houston in his current form than Houston suffering a career ending injury in the preseason.

I think that your way off with this line of thinking. There is a much higher chance of both of the two picks not getting to heights of Houston in his current form than Huston suffering a career ending injury.
So you pick two draftees whose bodies failed them and then say that is more likely than one player getting injured. Okay got it

I doubt Port will knock back North’s offer for pick 15, Noble and Richards.
In my scenario we would be trading Noble and getting 12 or 20. It would require us using our future first to do some haggling. Port would receive something like 12, late first and Richards for Houston and Future third. Id rather keep Richards though.

Two clubs are at the centre of what is shaping as an intriguing trade period and are set to play a major role in the fortunes of a series of Melbourne rivals.

Four Victorian clubs – St Kilda, Collingwood, Western Bulldogs and Melbourne – as well as West Coast, are trying to prise breakout midfielder James Peatling from GWS, while Port Adelaide football boss Chris Davies conceded on Thursday the Magpies now lead the race for Harry Perryman.

Another GWS player, Isaac Cumming, has already announced he will exercise his unrestricted free agency rights to sign with Adelaide, while first-round pick Conor Stone, Xavier O’Halloran and little-known swingman Wade Derksen are also on rivals’ radars.

The Power are annual movers and shakers in the player movement period, and contracted back-to-back All-Australian Dan Houston’s wish to return to Melbourne is the biggest potential deal this year.
Carlton and North Melbourne lead a long list of Houston suitors, which might again include the Demons, but need to convince the star defender they can stump up enough to get a deal done. Houston, who is contracted through to the 2028 season, says he is willing to stay at Alberton if a trade can’t be arranged.
At least one first-round pick will be required, and Port would prefer that to be in this year’s strong and deep draft, although the Blues and Roos want to use their top selections, which are at 11 and two, respectively.
Gold Coast’s top selection – No.12 – is in play, and a potential key to unlocking the Houston trade, given the Suns will trade it, as they will match a bid on academy prospect Leo Lombard, who is projected to be taken just before or around that.
Brisbane will also move their top pick, which is No.18, because they will match bids on father-son gun Levi Ashcroft and academy prospect Sam Marshall.

Port have already secured Sun Jack Lukosius’ trade commitment, will offload Ivan Soldo – likely to St Kilda – and are trying to pinch Joe Richards from Collingwood.
They also have a young forward in Ollie Lord who has Melbourne clubs interested, too, but Charlie Dixon’s retirement and Todd Marshall’s concussion issues mean they are reluctant to let him go.

Perryman wants more midfield time, which is unlikely to occur at the Giants, and his free agency offers are audacious enough for him to almost certainly depart.

Peatling, who burst to life late in the season as a midfielder, looms as a different story. GWS added a third year to their offer ahead of their heartbreaking semi-final defeat to Brisbane before Peatling and his agent, Winston Rous, met with Melbourne suitors in the past week.

There is more confidence at the Giants of him staying than Perryman, whose decision appears intrinsically linked to Stone’s future.
Stone was the No.15 pick out of the Oakleigh Chargers four years ago, but has only 13 games to his name and never more than five in one season.
However, Cumming’s departure, which will likely be followed by Perryman, presents a big opportunity for Stone, who performed strongly at both ends of the ground in the VFL, but looms as a half-back/winger-type in 2025.
Derksen, who has not played a senior game since being a mid-season draft selection two years ago, has requested a trade, but is contracted until the end of 2025. Melbourne, who need key position help at both ends, are the most interested in him.

O’Halloran, who has caught the Bulldogs’ eye, also has a year left on his contract, meaning the Giants do not have to, and so far, are unwilling to, trade either him or Derksen.
Nick Haynes, an All-Australian four years ago and now in the twilight of his career, will exercise his unrestricted free agency rights to sign with Carlton.

If we can walk out of this trade period with Perryman, Peatling and Lord I'd be absolutely rapt

Big if I know, but just saying

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No it’s not, the club like many here obviously feel that the window is open.

If your team is in the window are you trading in known quantities or rolling the dice on draft picks ?

And nobody is suggesting we ignore the draft. I’m strongly in favor of using the draft but trades will always happen in parallel with that.

12, 20 and Richards for Houston would probably get it done, but I don't think I'd want to do that.
I'd do Richards, Noble and future first for Houston.

3 way deal. Port and GC squabble about picks, but Port want this year's 12 and GC will want the future pick as the big pieces.

When we picked up Freeman and Sharenberg using two top 10 draft picks and they both barely played for us who could have known? Huston's a risk and so are draft picks.

Should trade Nick then. We could derisk his potential injury with 4 first round picks...

No flag, no BNF, no all Aus and didn’t play 100 games for two top 10 picks. If that was the return we got from the draft picks you’d say they were a bust
Treloar got traded for Bulldogs pick 14. Which we used to draft Henry. Henry is one of our best draft picks of recent times but unfortunately bleeds Geelong, so we trade in Tom Mitchell who plays an integral role in our premiership.

Even despite that Treloar is a champion who we screwed over with poor salary cap management. I wish he was still at the pies.

I'd do Richards, Noble and future first for Houston.

3 way deal. Port and GC squabble about picks, but Port want this year's 12 and GC will want the future pick as the big pieces.
Only issue I’m seeing is points for Tommy but I guess there’s other avenues to get future second rounders. That would upset a few on here because we’d be left with a pick in the 40’s and 50’s in this years draft

And nobody is suggesting we ignore the draft. I’m strongly in favor of using the draft but trades will always happen in parallel with that.
2022 is a good example.
Cheap trades for Hill and Frampton, Mitchell, FA with mcstay and took our 1st round pick to the draft.
No reason it has to be one or the other.
We'll def go to the draft, as you have to; just a matter of what picks they end up being. But this draft has a lot of depth so odds are you'll get some good players.

To ‘challenge’ you have to play finals. I prefer the club’s approach which sees us do this regularly rather than every 10 years.

No flag, no BNF, no all Aus and didn’t play 100 games for two top 10 picks. If that was the return we got from the draft picks you’d say they were a bust
The salary cap stuff up is another story. He'll hit approximately 200 games of solid AFL midfield with an AA year since we traded for him. Better than what you'd average for the picks in terms of both number of games and quality.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back