List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Stop It Michael Jordan GIF
I knew you'd like that one

Explain! Provide examples of reports being wildly inflated. Especially in regard to FA’s that are subject to specific rules around their contracts.
The idea that reported footy contract numbers might be incorrect/exaggerated is hardly a big leap.

What are the specific rules around FA contracts that differ from others?

Explain! Provide examples of reports being wildly inflated. Especially in regard to FA’s that are subject to specific rules around their contracts.
Mason Cox has definitely joked about how the media inflated his contract amount.

This is bigger news than Perryman.

I wonder if we'd consider a rookie pick, someone like Bartel?

Had a role at GWS as footy director, obviously a successful playing career and I quite like his work on the podcast he does with Ed.
One of the few media types that will stand up to Ed without any fear whatsoever

I wouldn't swap Noble for Peatling. Noble's a clear best 22 player whilst Peatling's fringe.

I also think now that we have Perryman coming in to play the defensive big body midfielder role, we don't need Peatling otherwise our midfield will be too one paced. We still have Mitchell coming back from injury next year and need to give Allan more opportunities.
Did you watch Peatling in the finals? Goes alright. Not fringe.

Look at the weasel words. Every year someone speculates "up to" or "as much as" and then later comments go with "reported." with the same amount.

The reality is that we can't give examples of it being either true or false.

Look at the weasel words. Every year someone speculates "up to" or "as much as" and then later comments go with "reported." with the same amount.

The reality is that we can't give examples of it being either true or false.
Precisely the point for anyone sitting outside the top 100 players in the game. Yet garbage like CoD’s continues to be put out there by the average punter who isn’t talking to players or agents or coaches or list managers on a regular basis. Don’t get me wrong I’m all for a journo snipe session, but this one is wide of the mark.
The idea that reported footy contract numbers might be incorrect/exaggerated is hardly a big leap.

What are the specific rules around FA contracts that differ from others?
I’m not engaging in another Sideswipe smart arsery session. If you have something to add on the topic just say it.

Reading between the lines though I’ve got NFI why the AFL would have investigated the Daniher contract because there’s sure as shit no law in place against this tactic:

Mason Cox has definitely joked about how the media inflated his contract amount.
Context is always king, but there’s one example of the hundreds of players getting signed each and every year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah 7 years at $850k seems totally unrealistic. The cynic in me thinks the media know this to be BS too but they will still trot it out to continue the narrative & discussion (outrage) about it to get more content out of it.

The story/intrigue about his decision is over so how can we keep interest in the story going? Make the contract figure controversial.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

For the rest of this career (if he goes to Pies), every time Perryman is mentioned by Ralph and other special journos you will also get a breakdown of how much they think he is being paid.
If you think a journalist is a Dick, why do you think we’d be interested in his viewpoints? Stop buying his paper and/or watching his show.

Being a supercoach tragic and watching plenty of games each week.

1. Peatling - underrated player, got more oppurtunity this year and shined.

2. Perryman - he's good but not 7 yrs @ 850k good.

3. Cumming - not bad, but would rather the other two.
Thanks.

Perryman as an unrestricted free agent is the silver lining. No draft cost, just salary and with 25% increase circa $800k salary is equivalent to $600k - its still slight overs for me but you need to pay overs to get them in. Good move by the club.

Assuming we will head to the draft and do deals on Noble and Richards and see if we can snag anyone else. We must have a KPD in our sights - hoping we can pull a rabbit out of the hat here.

Doubt we are any chance to land Houston given what Port will want for him.
Absolutely. We have no draft picks but what we do have is cap space. Spend some money, get the free agents in, and make us better.

Yeah 7 years at $850k seems totally unrealistic. The cynic in me thinks the media know this to be BS too but they will still trot it out to continue the narrative & discussion (outrage) about it to get more content out of it.

The story/intrigue about his decision is over so how can we keep interest in the story going? Make the contract figure controversial.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Its 6 years.

Players never publicly disclose their contracts
Their managers never publicly disclose their contracts
When players are broached on the topic, they continually mock the numbers being bandied about
The numbers are logically inflated because it's sexier for journos to put inflated numbers in their stories. It's better "clickbait"
The other issue is, there's a salary cap. It would be VERY doubtful that all these numbers would be accurate because then you'd have to genuinely believe that many many many clubs (possibly all of them) are breaking those caps

The salary cap is almost 15 million at the moment. If you want to believe that most clubs are paying multiple individual players a million dollars or more with a list of 44, then have at it

The numbers being thrown around just seem flat out irresponsible given the salary cap. The "average" wage based on 44 players with a slaray cap of 14.7 million is $334K. So just ONE million dollar player, hurts 2 others potentially earning just the average.

So if you want to believe that there's mulitple million dollar or near million dollar players at single clubs, cool beans.

I'm choosing not to because it's not really logical

You're choosing to believe journalists whose job it is to generate outrage and attention. Even if you're right and player Managers who secretly leaking their contract details (which is another can of worms), then you'd also need to believe that those Managers have reasons to lie about those numbers to help their client gain an advantage in negotiations.

So either way, the likelihood of the numbers being accurate is slim.

That's an RFA contract. They are the ones with the extra rules.
The issue with the Daniher contract was the triggering of the band 1 compensation and had nothing to do with his UFA or RFA status.

If we were to adjust Perryman’s contract in 2026 it will be investigated because of the compensation received by GWS. Being in the laws of the game does not preclude it from being something that the AFL can make a ruling and how open FA is to manipulation hence the greater transparency of FA contract reporting.

It’s a similar story to Buddy’s contract being enforceable under the salary cap even if he’d retired after 7 years and he’d forgone payment.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back