List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

No hatred, just wants to move on from being head of footy into a CEO role. Same reason Leppitsch has moved on from line coaching despite being regarded as one of the best in the industry. Just wanting a change in role from what they've been doing for decades.
Why is the highly regarded Brian Cook leaving after such a short time at the Blues.

Out : Richards ( if he goes)
In : OWIES
Machine Gun GIF

Implicit in Wright being considered for his job.
Cook signed on until the end of 2025, so presumably Carlton is looking at candidates for their next CEO now, who will replace Cook at the end of next season.

4 years as CEO seems to me to be a relatively reasonable tenure for a CEO of a footy club.

Yep. It's impossible to judge really without a really clear understanding of the current draft, which I sure as hell don't have.
Maybe I’m taking McRae’s comments too literally, but this is where I revert to him preferring players over picks. Rather than it being about trading out of drafts I look at it as him valuing the guy that finishes top 5-10 in our B&F over what might equate to a mid 20’s pick in a draft where the recruiters might not want to be picking.

For a practical example I’d look at 2020. In hindsight having a bundle of picks between 20-60 in that draft was much better value than having top end picks. The problem was we wound up with 4 of the 10 iffy picks in that bracket. At least we get a sense for it all in a weeks time!

No hatred, just wants to move on from being head of footy into a CEO role. Same reason Leppitsch has moved on from line coaching despite being regarded as one of the best in the industry. Just wanting a change in role from what they've been doing for decades.

Ah it's the guy who constantly shits on Nick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe I’m taking McRae’s comments too literally, but this is where I revert to him preferring players over picks. Rather than it being about trading out of drafts I look at it as him valuing the guy that finishes top 5-10 in our B&F over what might equate to a mid 20’s pick in a draft where the recruiters might not want to be picking.

For a practical example I’d look at 2020. In hindsight having a bundle of picks between 20-60 in that draft was much better value than having top end picks. The problem was we wound up with 4 of the 10 iffy picks in that bracket. At least we get a sense for it all in a weeks time!
Fly's job is about next year, so Noble trumps draft picks, but he'll only get one vote in terms of these decisions, and who knows - any pick we get for Noble might still go to a player.

Will this be the year clubs get fully professional and make their OPPOSITION pay full price when it comes to matching bids for highly rated F/S or academy player?

By all reports Levi Ashcroft is as good as any in this years draft, Twomey has him at No.1, he might be as good or better than his brother at the same age (you know the one, he just won the North Smith) and yet we face the prospect once again of a team who finishes last not being willing to call out a father son because they want the cache that comes attached to the player picked at No.1.

Sure, some will argue that Richmond mightn't have him at No.1 on their draft board but that's not really the point.

The point is if he isn't No.1 he'll be close enough to it and more importantly they know Brisbane will match any bid and by extension the player they take at pick 2 is the one that was only ever available to them anyway.

It's a win/win. You get the player you want and you stop the opposition gaining a further discount with every bid that doesn't come.

It'll be interesting to see what offers Brisbane get for their current pick 18 as right now they don't have another pick between it and 56. They need points for a F/S and academy bid. If we could gain 2 picks in return for Noble and/or Richards requests a trade then perhaps we could be in a position to bundle up some selections (not 20 obviously if we received it) and make a play for it (Richmond in box seat).

There appears to be a complete misunderstanding on this board about what it takes to get free agents in the door.

Yes, comparatively you are paying for free agents more than their market value, but the trade off is you aren't using a pick. The above market payments is exactly that cost. Good projections will show that the $850k for instance over 6 years falls in line with an average payment and if we have spotted talent effectively he will reach that potential.

Our biggest issue at the moment is not being able to get players in due to lack of picks. We have the cap space which will only free up further next year with retirements.

If we win the premiership next year you won't be coming back here complaining about slightly over paying for perryman.

The real issue with the Perryman deal is that it is six years for a player who hasn't played the role we want him to since 2022.

He may be good. Or not. A six year commitment may well become a real issue if he's on $850k, counted against our salary cap, playing in the VFL for the last 3-4 years.

Our biggest issue isn't our lack of picks to attract players. Our biggest issue is our picks over the last 4-5 years have not developed into AFL level players. If we had selected better, we wouldn't need to look externally, and we'd have a strong group of developing players around Nick's age. We simply don't.

2022 the year they finished bottom 3, yeah? I mean Greenwood had a top 3 B&F result in the year we recruited him, but he was never higher than an 11-20 list fit 🤷‍♂️
2020 iirc, they finished 10th. Will you be talking down Darcy Cameron’s inevitable top 3 finish this year or will you maintain he’ll get million dollar offers off the back of one good season in a non finals team?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back