List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Isn’t the obvious question- if he’s so good why are Carlton wanting a 32 yo Haynes as a replacement? Who is also 10cm shorter.
Nobody is saying Young is 'so good'. What was said was:
I don’t think he is as bad as others make out…

On the Dogs, Smith is irrelevant because he’s out of contract so there’s no salary to dump, his departure would have already been factored in to the books. Macrae is a significant contract, but I can’t imagine Daniel would be on excessive money.

They’re definitely the club that stands out in terms of a bursting salary and they’ll still have to find more room for Darcy’s payday. Prying out one of their talls because they’ve over-extended would be a thing of beauty.
I'll take Ugle-Hagan or Naughton thanks.

Freo have taken on JOM and Brodie as dumps previously so seem to have a good handle on their payments. Although the Sean Darcy and Cox contracts they may not be happy with.

Sydney are always well run and could easily just trade Warner to a WA team if the homesick rumours are true. Not as a dump though.

In terms of list management teams:
  • GCS have needed to dump previously so may need to do it again
  • ESS Rosa just took over from Dodo so may have inherited a problem (Parich, McKay, Ridley, Stringer/Lav push out, etc.)

Freo took those contracts because they didn't have the players at the time who were likely to command massive contract extensions .They now have brayshaw, and Alex pierce coming out of contract at the end of next season , and will need to keep money aside for Hayden young and Caleb serong(shouldn't have issues with this but still have to plan ahead for it) .

The dons need a massive influx of fresh talent, they are not going to trade their draft picks.

As a young developing mid I really like Will Graham from Gold Coast. They currently have Rowell, Anderson, Flanders, Miller, Humphrey, Davies, Rogers + Lombard and other academy players. Give us Will Graham for Noble.

I reckon it's Naughton
That makes the most sense to me, even though it’s probably wishful thinking. Naughtons deal was done earlier in the year before Darcy really broke out and before the Mac Andrew deal suddenly changed the whole landscape. Darcy will be getting unprecedented offers, and even if he takes unders to stay at the dogs he’ll likely be on one of, if not the biggest deal in league history. Something will have to give down at the kennel.

Naughton, big contract, nowhere to be seen on the Bulldogs B&f leader board, kane might be onto something. Hanging on one too many talls, who are just getting in each other's way
In the absence of Oliver-type behavioural issues, it would be an extraordinary piece of mis-management to sign a bloke for 8 years then look to offload him after year 1.

Freo took those contracts because they didn't have the players at the time who were likely to command massive contract extensions .They now have brayshaw, and Alex pierce coming out of contract at the end of next season , and will need to keep money aside for Hayden young and Caleb serong(shouldn't have issues with this but still have to plan ahead for it) .

The dons need a massive influx of fresh talent, they are not going to trade their draft picks.
Re Freo: They have targeted Bolton and maybe there is truth to the Chad Warner homesickness. Those two coming in would put pressure on any cap. If so you would think Sean Darcy (Reidy & Knobel in the wings), or someone similar could be pushed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the absence of Oliver-type behavioural issues, it would be an extraordinary piece of mis-management to sign a bloke for 8 years then look to offload him after year 1.
There have been rumours around JUH not fitting in personality wise and could be pushed out if an A-grade midfielder was available as Liba 32yo, Treloar 31yo, Macrae = gone, Bont 28yo, Sniff = gone.

What would Geelong reasonably give up for Oliver? Perhaps they may ask for something back from Melbourne? Oliver & a second or 3rd round.

He's an A grade midfielder when he is at his peak. I wouldn't think it would be too hard to get him back to playing his best. We are talking about an opportunity here for Geelong to have a star studded midfield. It would be very tempting. Mackie would be thinking a move like this would push their chances for a premiership.
Most certainly a fully fit (both mentally and physically) Oliver would be of interest to Geelong (or anyone really).

However the contract is 6 more years and that is a very long time to be clear of the issues Oliver has, so there is a huge risk right there.
The cost of this contract is reportedly 10mil, again big risk to take on.
A grade midfielder? What he can be and what he currently is are two different things.

If Geelong ease Melbourne's burden and take Oliver off their hands, the pick (which will not be alot) will largely depend on how much of the contract Melbourne is prepared to pay.
If Melbourne pay half, then perhaps a F1 will do it.
If Melbourne pay nothing and Geelong take the whole remaining contract, F3 at best (if not Melbourne giving Geelong something to take him)

The question for Collingwood is how much of the salary cap do they want to allocate to the fwd line. Mcstay, bobby hill in the midst of contract negotiation for a pay increase, Schultz , and hypothetically half or more of naughtons contract.

The question for Collingwood is how much of the salary cap do they want to allocate to the fwd line. Mcstay, bobby hill in the midst of contract negotiation for a pay increase, Schultz , and hypothetically half or more of naughtons contract.
I say we take Naughton with an old school piece of backending. Gubby-style!

Mitch Cleary has a catchment of over 700 players that haven’t been publicly linked to Collingwood. So he’ll have plenty to choose from to claim himself as correct.

But if it is a big fish, we won’t want it out until Noble and pick 12 deal is sorted so we don’t make that trade appear any more valuable than it is.

Not expecting any big news until after that.

Re Freo: They have targeted Bolton and maybe there is truth to the Chad Warner homesickness. Those two coming in would put pressure on any cap. If so you would think Sean Darcy (Reidy & Knobel in the wings), or someone similar could be pushed.
Not sure we need another ruck - I'd be more interested in Treacy or Amiss, although being young, they're probably not on big money.

What would Geelong reasonably give up for Oliver? Perhaps they may ask for something back from Melbourne? Oliver & a second or 3rd round.

He's an A grade midfielder when he is at his peak. I wouldn't think it would be too hard to get him back to playing his best. We are talking about an opportunity here for Geelong to have a star studded midfield. It would be very tempting. Mackie would be thinking a move like this would push their chances for a premiership.
Melbourne may just take unders to get him off the books, seems like a cancer at the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back