List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

From Marc McGowan:

Dan Houston is edging ever closer to becoming a Magpie in a three-club deal, but there is still some haggling being done.

Negotiations are ongoing, but if this trade eventuates, it will look something like below:

Collingwood receives: Dan Houston, 58

Port Adelaide receives: Jack Lukosius, Joe Richards and Rory Atkins, 13, 29, 50

Gold Coast receives: John Noble, 2 x future first-rounders, 39
There’s no way port can be stupid enough to stump up a first not only for Lukosius, but also take on Rory Atkins

I think we'll only take 2-3 picks into the draft. Maybe package up some to move a few spots higher?
I think the two clubs who most needed to stockpile picks this year (Brisbane and Essendon) are just about sorted. Our best option to squeeze value out of the other picks is to trade them into next draft I think.

Exactly. Particularly the last point :

_ the players that may be available & up for trade (requirng a 1st) that you close the door on now

When it looks like we may (🤞) have just landed a dual AA HB who became available & was up for trade & will be able to play for us in 2025.
Essentially, we're adding a dual AA half back, to allow an AA and B&F in a Premiership year Wingman to return to where he plays his best footy.

Meanwhile our other dual Premiership player Wingman is now our pretty successful tagger!!

Oh I'm so excited for next year!!!

Exactly. Particularly the last point :

_ the players that may be available & up for trade (requirng a 1st) that you close the door on now

When it looks like we may (🤞) have just landed a dual AA HB who became available & was up for trade & will be able to play for us in 2025.
Yes. Refusing to do a deal for an elite player now because maybe a super elite player comes along later would be nuts. These players do not move often. This year we had a near perfect confluence of circumstances, that not only allowed us to bring in such a player, but bring him in on less than usually expected cost.

Others will disagree that we got value in the Houston deal, thinking we paid a lot, but a deal for a 2x AA starts at two first round picks. The only reason I was hesitant about dealing for Houston is because I thought we'd need to pay through the nose. We've not done that on what I've seen of the deal so far.

I don't think we should really be looking for big trades next year anyway. You don't want to be on that treadmill for ever.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sam Edmund hasnt tweeted for 6 hours
Jerry Seinfeld Popcorn GIF by Sheets & Giggles

I think the two clubs who most needed to stockpile picks this year (Brisbane and Essendon) are just about sorted. Our best option to squeeze value out of the other picks is to trade them into next draft I think.
I think it’s worth asking the question to Brisbane and Essendon. I reckon we should look at pick 28 and 32

If we get 2 picks in the 50's (ports pick 58 and gold coasts pick 50) as suggested on top the the picks 52 and 55 we already have, these picks have the opportunity to come in aleast 8 spots by the time the bids for ashcroft, lombard and kako come in.

Therefore out draft hand could look something like this:

• Pick 36 - 502 points
  • Pick 42 - 395 points
  • Pick 44 - 362 points
  • Pick 45 - 347 points
  • Pick 49 - 287 points

The package of 4 picks in the 40's equates to around 1390 (equivalent to around pick 10). Surely we can package it for a pick in the 20s.

If we end up with Houston, 39, 52, 55 the meat of the deal would have been similar to what we thought and essentially mean:

F1, 36, for 13 (unders for GC) traded to Port.

Noble for 29 (unders for CW) traded to Port.

Richards traded to CW for 39 (on the money).

If we fail to hold either 36 or 39 then it's a "win" for GC and PA.

If we maintain either of the above then it's on the money for mine.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back