List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

What a nightmare these journalists have had this trade period. Best on was Cal Twomey then Mitch Cleary. The rest pathetic

I can't believe I/we keep coming back for more of this shit every year. I promised myself last year that I would ignore the first week of trade period and totally flunked.

Next year......🤦‍♂️

Did you try to understand? All I said was, as a fan, I prefer squad builds from the ground up like Richmond are going for. I understand why we couldn't do that now and the fact we won a flag and are a chance for more means I absolutely would not want it any other way.
I enjoy seeing young players come through the system, but I also like to be competitive every season. It is why I wouldn't like pies to go full rebuild.

If we can get JDG healthy on top of the two players we added in the trade period it will be a huge boost to our chances.

Doesn’t anyone know when our players are due back to start pre season having missed finals?

You don't rebuild when you have Nick Daicos on your list who is already playing like he is 27.

Chips in, flag chance every year, no one will win a flag by having 8 draft picks, just like GC and GWS keep proving.

The best method is to allow other clubs to develop players and then grab them via trade or FA, you just draft one or two players and attack the market.

And that is exactly what we will do, next year will have the space to get someone on huge money, and we will do that every year, whilst still drafting one or two players for need.

Look at the other teams like Melbourne, Essendon, Port, etc, they are going to the draft because they know they are not able to compete with the bets teams due to a lack of talent, especially Essendon, aside from Merrett they have no class at all.

We ain't doing that, ever.
💯

Nick Daicos is now a key asset not just on field but off field as well. Played a big role in convincing Houston to choose Pies.

We've traditionally struggled to really attract the star FAs/trade targets. With Nick, maybe we'll finally get that star KPF. They probably wouldn't mind Nick and Houston serving up the footy on a platter.

💯

Nick Daicos is now a key asset not just on field but off field as well. Played a big role in convincing Houston to choose Pies.
We've traditionally struggled to really attract the star FAs/trade targets. With Nick, maybe we'll finally get that star KPF. They probably wouldn't mind Nick and Houston serving up the footy on a platter.
Used to be known as "lace out" - ie Barry Price to Peter McKenna

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton had a golden chance to secure Houston …. and declined as they instead went back to the draft.

It was so un-Carlton-like and yet a decision that will only extend their premiership window years into the future.

I find this bizarre. Carlton have picks 3, 38, 63, 68, 69, 72. So pick 3 & 38 is extending their premiership window years? No pressure kids.
It’s a weird rhetoric that have going. I can’t remember who it was (maybe Sam Edmund?) on trade radio today but they were praising Carlton saying that they will be able to pick up a “generational player” with pick 3 like it was almost guaranteed or something?

It’s baffling that we’re copping so much flak for managing to get the best player in this years trade period with very limited draft capital, in addition to a very solid free agent which should keep us right in premiership contention, while Carlton is worshipped for trading two first rounders, a second rounder and their 3rd highest goal scorer for 2024, for a singular pick because the kid they choose might become a generational player.

It’s a weird rhetoric that have going. I can’t remember who it was (maybe Sam Edmund?) on trade radio today but they were praising Carlton saying that they will be able to pick up a “generational player” with pick 3 like it was almost guaranteed or something?

It’s baffling that we’re copping so much flak for managing to get the best player in this years trade period with very limited draft capital, in addition to a very solid free agent which should keep us right in premiership contention, while Carlton is worshipped for trading two first rounders, a second rounder and their 3rd highest goal scorer for 2024, for a singular pick because the kid they choose might become a generational player.
I liked the contrasting juxtaposition of "Carlton" and "premiership window."

Gee there's one particular salty Dee's poster on the Dan Houston thread giving out lots of GREAT advise on our list going forward, Fwit.....

I enjoy seeing young players come through the system, but I also like to be competitive every season. It is why I wouldn't like pies to go full rebuild.
Understood. I like winning as well. The best case for me is a quick rebuild/refresh and back to winning, or at least improving. I'm not asking for it and I'm definitely on board with our current list strategy.

The reason we are taking heat is because the Carlton nuffies like Maher and Edmund, know their team is not up to it, and we had the balls to go chips in. Carlton has huge salary cap issues, signing TDK next year will be a double edged sword.

He will command massive dollars, $1.2M I would guess, which then puts them out of business to trade next year without giving up Curnow or McKay.

Conversely, we retire a few next year and we have enough space to bring in LDU, Trac, or anyone else we can get, be it via a trade for Trac, or a FA.

As for Ralph, I don't mind him, his team won 3 flags, the dynasty is done and now he has to accept 10 years of North Melbourne like misery.

Geelong has been doing what we have been doing for a decade and saluted twice and missed out on an easy flag this year as well. But when we do it, it is a massive story, just to get clicks.

Was 2018 and it’s proven to be a strong draft but like every draft ever there are still first round busts
Tarryn Thomas the only bust inside the first 13 picks, and that wasn’t for a lack of talent. But there are some meh players in that lot too. Walsh at 1 was solid but he’s no superstar. Lukosious at 2 (lol). The King twins still haven’t lived up to the hype surrounding them. There are guns in there but nobody in the top 10 you’d regard as generational, and this draft seems to have the same vibe to me. Pick 3 is much more likely to land Carlton a Walsh level player than a Cripps level player imo.

It was an interesting trade all round I thought. Surprising that WCE preferred future picks, which I'm assuming is why Hawthorn did that trade to Carlton. I think WCE must be looking to load up on trades next year.
They’re targeting Warner.

Melbourne listed as a winner in that article and we aren’t

Our list is much better than Melbourne’s and we added Perryman for nothing, and Houston for our future first, pick 36 and two depth players

Melbourne also don’t have a future first (I repeat, with a worse list) and will be dreaming of taking a player as good as Houston with one of their top picks.

Make it make sense

How the **** do Richmond manage to pay 95% of the salary cap? They haven't even got any players that you'd have on long term contracts that you could front load. I think Balta is the only one.
I have a sneaking suspicion that a part of the reason they got such exceptional deals for Rioli and Balta is that they’re paying a chunk of their salaries. And if so, kudos to them.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back