List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure how we didn't "win" the trade period

Added the best player in the trade period
Added a more than handy 25 year old utility
Gave up a Future 1st which would have been chewed up by a McGuane bid anyway
Moved only a little bit down the draft board

We objectively improved our list in a real way without really hurting our draft position much
And our best 22 is marginally improved by Perryman and significantly improved by Houston

Tigers did well they also gave up a heap.
Richmond have basically just thrown the next 3-4 years in the bin with their trade period and everyone is just completely sucking them off.

Richmond ALREADY traded multiple years worth of first round picks to get Taranto and Hopper, so they haven't picked high in the draft in the last two drafts, so have no especially promising young talent, and they only have two remaining premiership players under 30, in Short (29) and Balta (25).

So they're going to have a bunch of old guys who are running on fumes at this point, running around with a bunch of inexperienced 18 year old talents, and it's going to be a disaster for the first two years, and then all the old guys will retire and there'll be a whole new cliff for them to fall off.

Even if their "8 picks inside 25" all turn out at or above the average for their draft positions, it will only eventually get them back to being an average side, because you need more than 8 decent players to win games.

People just assume draft picks = eventual success, when almost none of the successful teams of the last quarter century have done it by bottoming out hard and stacking tons of draft picks into their coffers.

The exact reason I used the “”. You can lock in Essendon, Carlton and possibly Melbourne (our bottom 6 double up) twice next year. Brisbane is a lock and probably Port as well after the Houston trade. All that’s left is one or two in the 6-12 range depending on how long the season is because we won’t get any of WC, Richmond or North twice.
I wonder if the Showdown gets bumped for Port vs Pies during gather round

Richmond have basically just thrown the next 3-4 years in the bin with their trade period and everyone is just completely sucking them off.

Richmond ALREADY traded multiple years worth of first round picks to get Taranto and Hopper, so they haven't picked high in the draft in the last two drafts, so have no especially promising young talent, and they only have two remaining premiership players under 30, in Short (29) and Balta (25).

So they're going to have a bunch of old guys who are running on fumes at this point, running around with a bunch of inexperienced 18 year old talents, and it's going to be a disaster for the first two years, and then all the old guys will retire and there'll be a whole new cliff for them to fall off.

Even if their "8 picks inside 25" all turn out at or above the average for their draft positions, it will only eventually get them back to being an average side, because you need more than 8 decent players to win games.

People just assume draft picks = eventual success, when almost none of the successful teams of the last quarter century have done it by bottoming out hard and stacking tons of draft picks into their coffers.

Yep the chances they nail 4/8 is high.

Balta signing was bizarre considering they might get pick 2 for him next year.

We all wanted Logan Morris but he's always had the turning circle of the Queen Mary and lacked pace and athleticism. Watch him closely. We'll see how he goes without Daniher there. He's got great hands but will he be a 200 game player, I'm not so sure.
I could be wrong, but I foresee a real Chris Dawes-like career for Logan.

I wonder if the Showdown gets bumped for Port vs Pies during gather round
I’d be shocked if we don’t play Port in gather Rd! I think the only reason not to is to maximise crowds by putting Port and Adelaide against smaller clubs because we’ll get 30k regardless of who we play.

100% agree, but the observation I’d make is that the posters who felt that way are attached to the current players to a point where they can’t fathom using them as assets to our advantage.

We only got the Houston deal done because of the sheer luck that Noble and Richards were leaving to clubs that could be entwined because of the Lukocious move. That won’t happen every year, but it’s healthy to lose a contracted player against your will so long as they aren’t a fabric player.
As you say though, it's sheer luck that GC targeted Noble out of all our players. He is the quintessential trade bait every poster will offer up and literally no one will raise an argument against trading him. It would be a very different reaction if we had to trade out IQ to get Houston in because we had no other trade capital this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2024 Draft and Trade Period Key Dates​

Oct 4 to Oct 11: Free agency window
Oct 7 to Oct 16: Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period
Oct 17 to Nov 8: Pick swap window
Nov 1 to Nov 8: Delisted free agency period
Nov 20-21: Telstra AFL Draft
Nov 22: Telstra Pre-Season Draft and Rookie Draft

And our best 22 is marginally improved by Perryman and significantly improved by Houston
Who does Perryman displace from our current best 22, if everyone's fit and firing?

Lipinski, WHE, McCreery? All seem valuable role players.

Sidey, Pendles, Howe, Elliott or Mitchell? Not if our veteran brigade stays fit.

Is he just a versatile, talented depth option for now?

I love his acquisition, don't get me wrong, but is he best 22 from day one?

As you say though, it's sheer luck that GC targeted Noble out of all our players. He is the quintessential trade bait every poster will offer up and literally no one will raise an argument against trading him. It would be a very different reaction if we had to trade out IQ to get Houston in because we had no other trade capital this year.
Not from me (depending on the deal of course). We get to find out next year when he gets Hail Mary offers…

I just hope when Leppa is working out our list spots today that they look at player history when having multiple injuries over a 3 or more year period. That being they generally never make it. Krueger got drafted in 2018 and has played only 15 games. Regardless of his attributes his body simply isn’t up to it. He’s always been injured when we’ve needed him to come in and play a role.
Hope is not a strategy.

Same with Hayes from the saints. 3 years for 7 games.

Tomlinson doesn’t get injured and is available when called to fill a role.

Membrey was a first picked player with not much injury history.

Hopefully we take Tomlinson and Membrey as proven key back and forward cover vs hope that the other players they are considering are even there when called to do the job.

He's undersized so central KPF role might be a stretch but you've put a limit on him after one year.

Also McStay....
I'm not sure about the McStay reference.

But yeah, I don't think he's got a very high ceiling as I don't think he's got the tools. I don't think he's agile enough to develop a particularly good ground level game or big or athletic enough to become a really big threat in the air.

Really good forwards have an edge that they can exploit for their main threat or are a threat in more ways than one.

Why don’t you go back and do this for the past 20 years? What fun. And none of that is true. You have no idea what could happen.

I’m sure next season you will be saying “if we didn’t sign perryman we could have got x”
If we didn't get Shoota last year, there would have been a bidding war for him this year, as there were a few clubs sounding him out before we snapped him up.
It would probably have meant Houston OR Shoota.
Happy we've got both.

Who does Perryman displace from our current best 22, if everyone's fit and firing?

Sidey, Pendles, Howe, Elliott or Mitchell? Not if our veteran brigade stays fit.

I’d think Lippa (sorry to one honoured person here 😳) first. Then back up policy for Titch coz still not sure where he stands re when he plays again next year.

Then potentially another Swiss Army knife alongside WHE

It’s rare all our best 23 ( I should have said 23) are on the park at once but I can’t wait for fitting everybody in to be the problem.

Perrymans been an automatic selection at a good side for a long time so I’m sure we’ll find a spot for him

The above is poorly worded but i don't think DFAs can "offically"(nothing stopping an in principle agreement now) be signed until the DFA period. From a logical sense, because not all players who will be delisted, have been. Not sure why the AFL would specifically have a Delisted Free Agency Period if they can be signed outside of that?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back