List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Nicky Daicos recruiting stars + Darcy Moore inadvertently exposing how badly a certain club is run, costing said club Houston and potentially Tracc. True Collingwood legends.

I just hope when Leppa is working out our list spots today that they look at player history when having multiple injuries over a 3 or more year period. That being they generally never make it. Krueger got drafted in 2018 and has played only 15 games. Regardless of his attributes his body simply isn’t up to it. He’s always been injured when we’ve needed him to come in and play a role.
Hope is not a strategy.

Same with Hayes from the saints. 3 years for 7 games.

Tomlinson doesn’t get injured and is available when called to fill a role.

Membrey was a first picked player with not much injury history.

Hopefully we take Tomlinson and Membrey as proven key back and forward cover vs hope that the other players they are considering are even there when called to do the job.
That’s rather simplistic analysis though. Kreugs turned the corner last year injury wise and had a pretty good injury run. And they’ve mostly been contact injuries.

Hayes I’m not sure on because I don’t know a lot about him but writing him off due to early career injuries is the easy choice but might not be the best choice. Imagine if Melbourne had dumped Max Gawn after his second ACL at age 20. Or Collingwood dumping young Darcy Moore because of constant hamstring strains

The question should be who is the best fit for short and medium term. not who is the worse injury risk

The media and commentators are fixated on draft picks and the promise/hope of the future.

I'd argue it's not the worst trade period for Melbourne, as they didn't lose Petracca, Oliver, Pickett or Viney, however they're planning for a future that's no certainty to arrive.
actually i think melbourne has a good blend
often you see a few young high quality draftees can be good role players in a flag side
we had it with pendles and sidey
brisbane had a few this year
melbourne do so many things terribly as a footy club, but i actually think thier list management is pretty good
(with the exception of giving up james jordan - thought that was a mistake at the time)

That’s rather simplistic analysis though. Kreugs turned the corner last year injury wise and had a pretty good injury run.

Hayes I’m not sure on because I don’t know a lot about him but writing him off due to early career injuries is the easy choice but might not be the best choice. Imagine if Melbourne had dumped Max Gawn after his second ACL at age 20.

The question should be who is the best fit for short and medium term. not who is the worse injury risk
His biggest problem is that he can't mark overhead. If he fixes that, he could be very good

I just hope when Leppa is working out our list spots today that they look at player history when having multiple injuries over a 3 or more year period. That being they generally never make it. Krueger got drafted in 2018 and has played only 15 games. Regardless of his attributes his body simply isn’t up to it. He’s always been injured when we’ve needed him to come in and play a role.
Hope is not a strategy.

I'm of the view that re-signing and recruiting should be viewed the same - as you're deciding whether or not to have this bloke working for you in the future.

So the guys with injury issues on your list should be viewed the same way as potential recruits with injury issues.

With both, if the potential is great enough you take the risk - that way you don't move on guys like Elliott and Moore when they seem permanently locked into the rehab group.

Big season for DeGoat in 2025. I believe we really need to see him play at least 90% of games.
If he has another season where he misses a block of 4 to 6 games, it will be interesting to see what approach the club takes during next seasons trade period, particularly with the quality of opposition players out of contract next season or if we try to get a Petracca in...

Who does Perryman displace from our current best 22, if everyone's fit and firing?

Lipinski, WHE, McCreery? All seem valuable role players.

Sidey, Pendles, Howe, Elliott or Mitchell? Not if our veteran brigade stays fit.

Is he just a versatile, talented depth option for now?

I love his acquisition, don't get me wrong, but is he best 22 from day one?
Not everyone will stay fit
However, by end of year he'll be picked ahead of most of those guys, if not all

Perryman comes in for Sidebottom.

Sidey had a great last 6 weeks, let's not forget he was awful before then.

Sidey should be depth.

actually i think melbourne has a good blend
often you see a few young high quality draftees can be good role players in a flag side
we had it with pendles and sidey
brisbane had a few this year
melbourne do so many things terribly as a footy club, but i actually think thier list management is pretty good
(with the exception of giving up james jordan - thought that was a mistake at the time)
Signing Grundy wasn't exactly a masterstroke - although getting him out was a good idea.

Darcy Moore inadvertently exposing how badly a certain club is run, costing said club Houston and potentially Tracc. True Collingwood legends.
I don't love that Darcy injured multiple people with his knees. I don't think it was on purpose, but I hope he changes his approach and gets that out of his game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perryman comes in for Sidebottom.

Sidey had a great last 6 weeks, let's not forget he was awful before then.

Sidey should be depth.
He had yet another strong year and can play several positions. Sidebottom is still best 23

People just assume draft picks = eventual success, when almost none of the successful teams of the last quarter century have done it by bottoming out hard and stacking tons of draft picks into their coffers.
It's not exactly true. Obviously Geelong have been able to top up with superstars like Dangerfield and Cameron that snagged them 2022 premiership. But recent premiers have come from both routes. Ie Brisbane are reaping the rewards of their years at the bottom with Rayner, Mcluggage, Pick 5 (plus F1) that they had available to trade for Neale etc. Melbourne in 2021 from their years at the bottom with Petracca and Oliver.

The one thing I think is common amongst all premiers is that they generally have an absolute superstar generational player. Ie Brisbane (Neale), Tigers (Dusty), Melbourne (Petracca), Geelong (Dangerfield/Cameron)

Technically, we did our rebuild already in 2021 when we got Nick. Other clubs can spend years in the bottom 4 trying to draft that level of player. Now that we have Nick, we don't need to bottom out for years trying to find someone like him and can instead focus on putting the right pieces around him.

I dunno - if I was running the AFL fixturing, I would be using a Pies game against Port as a standalone game during the season. And give us a no name team to play in Gather Round as we can draw a crowd anywhere.
I was just saying coz AFL seem to like trying to manufacture rivalry type games too

Imagine if Melbourne had dumped Max Gawn after his second ACL at age 20. Or Collingwood dumping young Darcy Moore because of constant hamstring strains
Max Gawn was a 209cm giant who was still developing. Darcy Moore was an elite talent with an elite pedigree and incredible character. Both of them were largely past their injury issues by the age of 22-23.

Jack Hayes is a 194cm 28yo shit truck who can't stay on the park, probably because he's a 194cm guy playing in the ruck a lot.

I like the idea of keeping the faith, but sometimes you have to recognise that the potential upside isn't worth the risk of wasting a list spot on someone who can't bring you value. It's why Kreuger has to go, in my view, as well.

That’s rather simplistic analysis though. Kreugs turned the corner last year injury wise and had a pretty good injury run. And they’ve mostly been contact injuries.

Hayes I’m not sure on because I don’t know a lot about him but writing him off due to early career injuries is the easy choice but might not be the best choice. Imagine if Melbourne had dumped Max Gawn after his second ACL at age 20. Or Collingwood dumping young Darcy Moore because of constant hamstring strains

You’re missing my point. I’m comparing role players that have averaged no more than 2.5 games a year to fill a role player issue. These guys coming in aren’t top 25 players on your list.
To compare Gawn and Moore who are needle movers in your club and both average more than 15 games a year through 8 plus year career Including your said injury they have. Is simply stupid and missing the point.

We are talking who fills the role better and more reliable for list spots in the 40’s.
I don’t think any of these players in consideration are viewed as top 30 players in your club, they are in case of emergency via injury play them. You can’t do that if they are bloody injured all the time.

All of them are insurance players only.

They're both big boys already too, like their dads.

Marcus goes to the same barber I do

Kid is huge at 14. I say huge, I should clarify tall. He’s quite tall for a 14 year old so he’s on track to be a true key forward like dad

I’m almost certain I convinced him to pick us over North (not joking)

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back