List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom Lynch.

Yep. So your thinking is another club could be as stupid as Gold Coast? There is no go home factor here either. Isn't Gold Coasts irrelevancy exactly the reason you'd match? That endless high picks doesn't equal success?

Essentially LDU is saying, North are shit and I don't wanna be here If he goes. Not many have done that.

I doubt he's a target for us.

But no one has kept anyone who has nominated yet.

How does it work?

You match the pick. Does the player have to sign the contract with you? Or is it now an uncontacted player requesting a trade situation?

If it's the latter, he's 2 years away from unrestricted free agency. Not a strong trading position.

If you match the contract, the guy can't leave unless he is traded. And North can match any contract. If he was unrestricted, I would be on board the chase.

If we believe that they will be poor again in 2025 and have another top 5 draft pick, would they really value another high pick like they would LDU? Would we? Isn't that exactly how you become shit like the Gold Coast?

Yep. So your thinking is another club could be as stupid as Gold Coast? There is no go home factor here either. Isn't Gold Coasts irrelevancy exactly the reason you'd match? That endless high picks doesn't equal success?

Essentially LDU is saying, North are shit and I don't wanna be here If he goes. Not many have done that.
To be clear I think there’s no chance LDU will be with us in 2026, but let’s say they match and force a trade after it’s been on the cards for 6 months on what will wind up one of the biggest deals in league history do you think the management is going to cop North saying Naicos + a 1st rounder? The deal would be 2 1sts and a best 23 player. A hefty price, but not one that rules any club out.

IN.
Houston, Perryman, Membrey, Tomlinson, National Draft Pick 52. National Draft Pick 55, Pre-season Draft.

Out.
Murphy, Noble, Krueger, Richards, beitel, Carmichael, Begg, Eyre

…. We’re better

I believe with Tomlinson, we aren't adding to our list

Damian Barrett is a knob. Trying to make a story out of little in terms of our off-field changes but giving no credit at all for our trade success. He says that Port's loss of Houston was the worst trade in history. So, Damo, if its that terrible a deal for Port, wouldn't it be reasonable to conclude that the Pies nailed it? But no, Damo can't bring himself to say anything positive at all about Collingwood. Miserable bstard.

And as far as the off-field stuff goes, I reckon we're now in the resolution phase. Unhappy people have left, replacements are being appointed. Our "back office" is going to be much more stable for season 2025 than it was for season 2024.
Fly, Leppa et al will sort the on field stuff - I have every confidence in Barry Carp and Board to oversee and resolve any off field stuff - Floreat Pica

Fly, Leppa et al will sort the on field stuff - I have every confidence in Barry Carp and Board to oversee and resolve any off field stuff - Floreat Pica
According to Barrett the club is imploding.

If you match the contract, the guy can't leave unless he is traded. And North can match any contract. If he was unrestricted, I would be on board the chase.

If we believe that they will be poor again in 2025 and have another top 5 draft pick, would they really value another high pick like they would LDU? Would we? Isn't that exactly how you become shit like the Gold Coast?

The point is you haven't kept him by matching. You've turned him into an uncontracted player requesting a trade, who becomes an unrestricted free agent in two years time. He's gone. So you match if you think you're going to get more for him in trade, otherwise you take the compo.

The point is you haven't kept him by matching. You've turned him into an uncontracted player requesting a trade, who becomes an unrestricted free agent in two years time. He's gone. So you match if you think you're going to get more for him in trade, otherwise you take the compo.

They can keep him by matching. They don't have to trade him, particularly given there is no go home factor here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He wouldn't be uncontracted, he would get the same contract with Nth that he would get from the other team.
He'd get the same contract offer. He doesn't have to sign it. He's uncontracted until he signs it.

He wouldn't be uncontracted, he would get the same contract with Nth that he would get from the other team.

Not necessarily. When the current club matches, there are four potential options - player accepts the matching offer, player and current club agree to a different deal, player gets traded or he walks to the draft.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Denver Grainger-Barras and/or Sam Weideman?
potatoes.gif

If Kangas win 5 games or less, LDU definitely leaves I reckon.
The thing with the star Restricted FA is they'd most likely be matched, unless your contract offer is nuts, which is most likely to happen if it's a shit team poaching from a good team and not the other way around, so they're really trade targets more than FA targets for us. It's the good solid players who are the freebies - except for salary cap.

Forget the top shelf, unless they are someone you'd target in trade, which I don't think is LDU. It's the good players a level below to look at if it's freebies you're after with free agency.

Free agency for us will be to top up. Not to add stars. Perryman and McStay level. We had a crack at Doedee. We had a crack at Battle. That's the level we're shopping with fa.

Last edited:
As if North wouldn't match. They can't just become the joke that is Gold Coast. Why would they need another pick 2 or 3 when they have no senior players? They have a heap of top end talent already but nowhere near enough quality around LDUs age. He is not Ben McKay who you'd gladly take the deal for.
I was thinking exactly the same as you until I thought it through properly. If LDU said he wants to go to Collingwood then in the end they would take that pick 2-4 from free agency because the other option if he insisted on leaving would a trade for picks that were at best in the 13-15 region. North would cave because he doesn't have to accept an offer from North, the same a Bailey Smith at the Dogs or Ollie Henry with us.

When's the last time an uncontracted player requested a trade and then re-signed?
It has never and will never happen. To think a player is forced to go back at that point and throw the shade at people FAIRANDBALANCED did earlier isn’t cool.

The thing with the star Restricted FA is they'd most likely be matched, unless your contract offer is nuts, which is most likely to happen if it's a shit team poaching from a good team and not the other way around, so they're really trade targets more than FA targets for us. It's the good solid players who are the freebies - except for salary cap.

Forget the top shelf, unless they are someone you'd target in trade, which I don't think is LDU. It's the good players a level below to look at if it's freebies you're after with free agency.

Free agency for us will be to top up. Not to add stars. Perryman and McStay level. We had a crack at Doedee. We had a crack at Battle. That's the level we're shopping with fa.
I think we should still make a godfather offer for Ed Richards (not LDU) though. WB will find it hard to match given the stars they have on the list. And if they do end up matching, hopefully it shakes out JUH in 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back