List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Was going to suggest Balta as a free agent option, then saw he re-signed for 7 years last week. Earlier had been wondering if Tigers would trade him seeing as they're rebuilding, surprised that he's atill just under 25. Unfortunately they see him as a part of their future.
Probably on 2million a year to stay and use their cap🤣

They can keep him by matching. They don't have to trade him, particularly given there is no go home factor here.
Omg. They CANT force him to stay!
Because, he is out of his contract. So, there are 3 options,

Option 1: North match a bid.
Then 2 options present for him.
Option 2: He accepts the matched contract from NM and signs a contract with them.
Option 3: OR, he rejects NM’s contract, and says he will leave. He is not forced or bound to stay at NM if they match.
He is out of contract! So as with any uncontracted player, he can either retire, go to the draft, or try to convince NM to trade him.

The option for NM is, initially, do they match a bid and hope that they can convince him to stay, but if he rejects their contract, they can organise a trade that is on better terms than the compo they will get?
Or, don’t match and accept the compo.

But in all the above, there is NO option that NM can FORCE him to stay, as you are trying to say.

It will be interesting when draft nights come around to see what players are not bid on. Of particular interest will be Gold Coast's academy players and Richmond bids. The Rioli deal must surely have had some quid pro quo. Some of the more unexpected pick trades could well constitute draft tampering. Unprovable of course, but clubs may be a little nervy given the AFL's attitude to due process. Suspicion is usually enough evidence if they want to make a point.

It has never and will never happen. To think a player is forced to go back at that point and throw the shade at people FAIRANDBALANCED did earlier isn’t cool.
I think there's an outside possibility of it happening with FA. The poaching club is paying overs to get them without a trade cost. The contract offer may be lower if the player is matched and you have to trade for them. So they might stay, as they might now be getting a better offer from their current club than the poaching club.

But most likely they're gone.

I think we should still make a godfather offer for Ed Richards (not LDU) though. WB will find it hard to match given the stars they have on the list. And if they do end up matching, hopefully it shakes out JUH in 2026
I think WB are more likely to match if they can cover the money because their pick will more likely be close to ours.

If they don't match they will get one pick let's say 15. If they match they can get 2 picks let's say 18 and a F1st out of us.
The compo pick for LDU would be closer to pick 5 a much better pick and they would more likely take it despite being able to more easily match.

I think there's an outside possibility of it happening with FA. The poaching club is paying overs to get them without a trade cost. The contract offer may be lower if the player is matched and you have to trade for them. So they might stay, as they might now be getting a better offer from their current club than the poaching club.

I assume this does happen. But they would sign on before or during the free agency period. No one would know about the matching because it is just the player signing a contract extension.

I think WB are more likely to match if they can cover the money because their pick will more likely be close to ours.

If they don't match they will get one pick let's say 15. If they match they can get 2 picks let's say 18 and a F1st out of us.
The compo pick for LDU would be closer to pick 5 a much better pick and they would more likely take it despite being able to more easily match.
We don't have a round one pick next year. The beauty of that is that similar to this year with Houston, if we're forced to trade, we can't really overpay. So we can trade our 2026 and 2027 first rounders for Richards but ask for their 2025 second rounder back to help match Mcguane.

If a trade fails, at least they've been forced to spend more on Richards and makes it harder for them to retain JUH

North could maybe be the first to make that statement, and I think they have much to lose.
What statement? They can’t force him to sign a contract, so if he wants to leave and they match its trade or the draft.

Zero chance. Contracted players being held to a contract is rare enough. It’ll be the same case as Smith where the player just walks to the draft. I’d acknowledge that it could be a thing in BigFooty fantasy land, but in the real world where people’s lives are being impacted based on 12-18 months of work it’ll never happen.

We don't have a round one pick next year. The beauty of that is that similar to this year with Houston, if we're forced to trade, we can't really overpay. So we can trade our 2026 and 2027 first rounders for Richards but ask for their 2025 second rounder back to help match Mcguane.

If a trade fails, at least they've been forced to spend more on Richards and makes it harder for them to retain JUH
Yes I stuffed up a bit. I was meaning to say they can only get our 1st from 2026 and 1st from 2027 as the 2 picks. Rather than next years first and 2026 1st. I understood that next year we could trade 2 years into the future my brain just didn't express it well. It is interesting with being able to trade 3 1sts from next year (not us obviously) Maybe it is a good idea to trade 1 out because bottom clubs would be less inclined to match free agents with only 2 1st round picks available.

Zero chance. Contracted players being held to a contract is rare enough. It’ll be the same case as Smith where the player just walks to the draft.
I'm suggesting the player may choose to stay if the matching results in him getting a million or two more over the course of the contract by staying with his club, which could be a possibility if the poaching club was offering that much in overs to get him as a freeby rather than through trade, and thus drops the contract offer for a trade situation.

I think we should still make a godfather offer for Ed Richards (not LDU) though. WB will find it hard to match given the stars they have on the list. And if they do end up matching, hopefully it shakes out JUH in 2026
Ed Richards, and Cam Rayner. They're the two that I'd be optimistic could be shaken loose.

Brisbane just went to $1m+ per year for McCluggage to keep him, they've got an expensive team currently and they need to ensure they can afford both Ashcrofts going forward, I wonder if they can afford Rayner on big money. I get the retirement of Daniher and the impending retirement of Neale will save them a lot, but there's still only so many guys you can pay big money to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As if North wouldn't match. They can't just become the joke that is Gold Coast. Why would they need another pick 2 or 3 when they have no senior players? They have a heap of top end talent already but nowhere near enough quality around LDUs age. He is not Ben McKay who you'd gladly take the deal for.
Because pick 2 or 3 can potentially be traded for a quality player itself. Particularly if LDU indicates early enough that he is leaving they can go out and target another player with a big offer knowing they have the trade collateral for it.
You're thinking from an outside North point of view, but if he was ours and we were in North's position, we would all be saying we will just match, and if we then need to trade it will cost more than pick 2 or 3. Give us a gun 25 year old player.
No, I’m thinking from a North point of view and you’re thinking from a fan point of view, which doesn’t always sit in reality when these situations arise. If your theory here rang true then Port would have demanded we give them a high quality player for Houston etc, but the reality is that you need said gun 25 year old to actually want to come to your club in the first place for that to work. Clubs deal with the resources they have, and if North were reckless enough in that situation to match an offer then they’d have to deal with the fact that the destination club doesn’t have the same currency as the compo would have given them. Matching doesn’t put them in a strong negotiating position, their player is still out of contract and able to walk to the draft if need be, which he’d likely do if he was keen enough to get away from Norf, much like Luke Ball was to get away from St Kilda back in the day.
So if somehow the planets align, LDU asks to move to us despite other vic clubs having way more money to offer him, we will need to work out a trade for him without a first round pick and with two likely poorly rated first round picks in 2026 and 2027.

Pipe dream. Fantasy footy. We may as well talk about how we are getting Harley Reid.

If LDU missed every game or most games next year due to injury, which nobody would want to see as he is such a brilliant player, that is the only scenario his value plummets enough to be a semi realistic target.
All I’m seeing here is that you don’t really understand how clubs think in regards to free agency and trading.

Yep. So your thinking is another club could be as stupid as Gold Coast? There is no go home factor here either. Isn't Gold Coasts irrelevancy exactly the reason you'd match? That endless high picks doesn't equal success?

Essentially LDU is saying, North are shit and I don't wanna be here If he goes. Not many have done that.
It depends of what you do with those endless high picks, but at the end of the day if LDU opted to utilise free agency it would be up to North to work out what the most favourable outcome would be based on what trade assets his target club (not necessarily us) has.

The only time in history that clubs have matched (or in Dangerfields case opted to trade without utilising FA at all) is when the destination club clearly had better assets available than what would have been given in compo. Knowing that to historically be the case, your opinion on this is unlikely to be the reality if it comes to that scenario.

They can keep him by matching. They don't have to trade him, particularly given there is no go home factor here.
You clearly don’t understand free agency rules if you think this is the case.

Unless they’re trading out JUH next year I can’t see them having the cap space to match a free agency offer. The dogs are going to be an interesting off field watch next year, especially given their historically up and down seasons under Beveridge.

Below is the list. A few have probably re-signed since. The one I'd have crack at is Alex Pearce. Ralphy and Cornes would go ballistic as he'll be 30. But he'd give us real kpd strength for a couple of years and buy us time to hopefully develop a draftee, as I think we'll draft at least one this year. I think he'd be 10 years and unrestricted.

I Have a solution. We ain't getting LDU full stop. I don’t even know where the rumours started, it's just BF fantasy. LDU will stay at norf, he loves the place
I don’t think we’ll get him either, but if Norf perform poorly again next year and he receives a monster offer (he will) from a contender I can see him walking.

Below is the list. A few have probably re-signed since. The one I'd have crack at is Alex Pearce. Ralphy and Cornes would go ballistic as he'll be 30. But he'd give us real kpd strength for a couple of years and buy us time to hopefully develop a draftee, as I think we'll draft at least one this year. I think he'd be 10 years and unrestricted.

He is freos captain. He will retire there.

I don’t think we’ll get him either, but if Norf perform poorly again next year and he receives a monster offer (he will) from a contender I can see him walking.
I hate to say it, but in terms of LDU, the realistic club who is good but need to add a top shelf mid and thus will be willing to pay a shit load is the Cats. And I reckon they'd have the cap space. Their current list wouldn't be that expensive.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back