List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope not. First possession from a clean hit out maybe, but you’d hope that we can utilise him as the outside receiver in contested scenarios more often given his exceptional disposal. He’s wasted getting first possession in a contested situation.

Not if he puts himself or teammates in the clear from stoppage - which he will. How quickly his inside game came on this year was extraordinary. He blew away what Jordy and Titch offer in the role. He won't be wasted there. He'll be Diesel on the inside and then spread from stoppage and be Craig Bradley on the outside

Last edited:
If the rumours of Jack Carrol doing a medical at Collingwood are true. He’d be the second Jack Carroll to play for Collingwood if we picked him up

Not if he puts himself or teammates in the clear from stoppage - which he will. How quickly his inside game came on this year was extraordinary. He blew away what Jordy and Titch offer in the role. He won't be wasted there. He'll be Diesel on the inside and then spread from stoppage and be Craig Bradley on the outside

He was great inside but he is even better for the teams success if he's getting the second disposal from a clearance. I want the ball in his hands and in space.

Who knows next season he may become Judd from the stoppage and still be Naicos on outside.

He was great inside but he is even better for the teams success if he's getting the second disposal from a clearance. I want the ball in his hands and in space.

Who knows next season he may become Judd from the stoppage and still be Naicos on outside.
I think you're going to be both disappointed and ecstatic if that's what you want. Nick's not the finished product as an inside mid with a fair bit of physical development to come, but in his first year in the role, he finished third in the league in clearances and second in the Brownlow - with nearly all his votes coming after he moved to a first possession role.

He's already the best ground ball hunter in the league and regularly finds space for himself or teammates with the best ball handling, awareness, agility and vision in heavy traffic in the league - and as he gets stronger, he'll become even better at creating his own space or putting a teammate into space. No one will be as good as Nick at the crucial aspect of getting the ball from inside to outside. It'll trump him playing a stationary role and then looking to peel off if someone like Mitchell wins it. We'll be watching Nick on the move hunting the ball at stoppage for a decade or more to come and individual awards will rain from the sky.

I think you're going to be both disappointed and ecstatic if that's what you want. Nick's not the finished product as an inside mid with a fair bit of physical development to come, but in his first year in the role, he finished third in the league in clearances and second in the Brownlow - with nearly all his votes coming after he moved to a first possession role.

He's already the best ground ball hunter in the league and regularly finds space for himself or teammates with the best ball handling, awareness, agility and vision in heavy traffic in the league - and as he gets stronger, he'll become even better at creating his own space or putting a teammate into space. It'll trump him playing a stationary role and then looking to peel off if someone like Mitchell wins it. We'll be watching Nick on the move hunting the ball at stoppage for a decade or more to come and individual awards will rain from the sky.

he's not built to play 200 games inside a contest. if we want him to have a long career he cant play inside every game.

Is Charlie Clarke a possible SSP candidate?

It’s a yes from me as a train on player should we have the spot or spots.

Also what am I missing with Carroll? He’s 21, played 15 matches this year, isn’t on significant money and Carlton’s youth is as average as ours. Is it pace? Competitiveness? Or he’s just not that good?

he's not built to play 200 games inside a contest. if we want him to have a long career he cant play inside every game.
We'll see, but I have absolutely no doubt that Nick will be on the move hunting the footy at stoppage next year and for a long time beyond that, and that he'll be the best in the league at it, as well as being the best in the league on the spread. If you're in the centre square you don't get to play a non-contact role receiving- or your team is going to get smashed at stoppage. I think he's better built to be on the move hunting the footy than in a receivers role where he grapples in the contest with big blokes and then looks to spread and receive off that.

Based on what? I feel like traditional stereotypes about this kind of thing don't carry the same weight with those who are freakishly dedicated to recovery and preparation.

We'll see, but I have absolutely no doubt that Nick will be on the move hunting the footy at stoppage next year and for a long time beyond that, and that he'll be the best in the league at it, as well as being the best in the league on the spread. If you're in the centre square you don't get to play a non-contact role receiving- or your team is going to get smashed at stoppage. I think he's better built to be on the move hunting the footy than in a receivers role where he grapples in the contest with big blokes and then looks to spread and receive off that.
I suspect a lot of the pushback you’re receiving is this perception to be truly great in that role you need to be like Cripps, Oliver or Bont. Reading between the lines I think you’re referencing more the GAJ role for Nick. At Geelong they would protect him like no one has ever done and feed him the ball at every opportunity so he was brilliant as a first possession player and able to create in space as well. He was a small mid playing that 1st possession role at an elite level for 12 years so it can be done.

The key question I have is the help to protect Nick the way Bartel, Selwood and Corey looked after GAJ. IMO, Perryman is crucial in that space as a replacement for Pendles. Crisp did a good job in the middle of the season, but I felt we were lacking that big body “defensive” mid at times this year hence Long getting such a good run late season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I suspect a lot of the pushback you’re receiving is this perception to be truly great in that role you need to be like Cripps, Oliver or Bont. Reading between the lines I think you’re referencing more the GAJ role for Nick. At Geelong they would protect him like no one has ever done and feed him the ball at every opportunity so he was brilliant as a first possession player and able to create in space as well. He was a small mid playing that 1st possession role at an elite level for 12 years so it can be done.

The key question I have is the help to protect Nick the way Bartel, Selwood and Corey looked after GAJ. IMO, Perryman is crucial in that space as a replacement for Pendles. Crisp did a good job in the middle of the season, but I felt we were lacking that big body “defensive” mid at times this year hence Long getting such a good run late season.
I remember reading a breakdown of GAJ stats, he was 35% inside 65% outside, nick this year was <50% inside, largely due to lack of support. With proper support we should have him at a similar breakdown to GAJ, that would maximise his effectiveness.

Last edited:
Who the feck is Jack Carroll?

Carlton player

One of the many nothing players who Carlton supporters claimed was an integral cog on their "massive injury list" all year which really only ever contained 3 or 4 starting 23 players at any given time

Yep. Gaz is one who had the explosive and outstanding outside game as well, but there's been a fair few who aren't huge who have been outstanding on the inside - Serong andNeale are about as good as it gets at the moment, - along with Nick. They keep their feet and there's less tackling to ground than every before. I'm not seeing the size issue - he's too agile for the big blokes and gets to the ball before them.

Yeah, Perryman looks like a good body player who might be really good to help create space and play a defensive role as well as peeling off to receive - like Pendles will be doing this year. And I think you're right, we'll have a couple of blokes with him who block, create space and have a defensive remit and then peel off when Nick gets it - like Eagles did with Juddy. They'll be the blokes who get the strength based clearances when the ball goes to them and their bloke. Nick won't get the footy through strength, it'll be through getting to the ball first, and outstanding ball handling.

Last edited:
He has probably shown more than all of our developing mids, but his ceiling may be that of a Pat Lipinski.

Here's hoping that Reef, Macrae and Carroll (if he comes to us) are late bloomers

He looks pretty handy - good kick, shows composure, good at keeping his hands free when tackled.

that's not the role we are discussing

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back