List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade & FA 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Small forward wasn’t an area of the list that needed improving given those coming through and I’d argue hasn’t been improved in any real way. If you were bringing in a Jeremy Cameron or Lynch or Dangerfield then I would have agreed with the strategy and risk /reward ..never the case and never worth the effort /price for mine.

None of this is hindsight. Way bigger holes that needed and still need surgery that will bite hard.

The fact so much went right in 2023 allowing us to salute was, for mine, a minor miracle. But the holes in the list were /are there if you wanna look. For mine, it made it more critical that we optimise our 1st & and 2nd rounders at the draft instead of valuing them like cheap confetti.

Have and always will take the view that you always ALWAYS take your 1st rounders to the draft - and will only ever make an exception if shopping in the Cameron, Lynch, Dangerfield part of the market.

Walking and chewing gum at the same time is still doable ..competing deep into finals whilst still drafting in young talent is also still possible.

Thought at the time it was a very very poor decision irrespective of likely EOY ladder position. Bottom 8 finish makes it an even costlier poor decision.
We lost to the premiers in 2022 by 1 goal. We then finished clear in 1st in 2023 and won all of our finals. It wasn't a "minor miricle". It Was just a follow on from 2022 with not to many injuries.
2024 so far has been full of injuries. We were in 3rd place 3 games ago. Unfortunately the Injuries have continued since then and most of our list is under done. We still have an opportunity to play finals and impact if we get it together.
It's not a time to throw it all in and rebuild. One more year with this list should be the goal in 2025.
Late 1st rounders are overrated Schultz is a better player than most late 1sts. Trading is what got us a premiership last year. Schultz has been one of our better small forwards this year.

Last edited:
We lost to the premiers in 2022 by 1 point. We then finished clear in 1st in 2023 and won all of our finals. It wasn't a "minor miricle". It Was just a follow on from 2022 with not to many injuries.
2024 so far has been full of injuries. We were in 3rd place 3 games ago. Unfortunately the Injuries have continued since then and most of our list is under done. We still have an opportunity to play finals and impact if we get it together.
It's not a time to throw it all in and rebuild. One more year with this list should be the goal in 2025.
Late 1st rounders are overrated Schultz is a better player than most late 1sts. Trading is what got us a premiership last year. Schultz has been one of our better small forwards this year.
Good on you mate. Great thoughts. 🍻

Yes,he did play a big part in us winning the flag.Without the five players he recruited at the end of 22 we not only wouldn’t have won the flag in 23 we probably wouldn’t have made the top four..He filled in a lot of the holes on our list left by Hine.Unfortunately there’s still a few more holes to fill as the list ages.
Wright created half these holes trading out talented players in Grundy, Adams, Henry and Ginnivan for peanuts. Now Grundy and Adams will probably lead Swans to a flag, Henry will be a key to Geelong's forwardline on track for top 4 and Hawks will likely overtake us on the ladder and we would've effectively paid them to take Ginnivan who's more talented than Schultz.

It's crazy to think that in a salary dump fire sale, Ned Guy managed to get more return for Treloar (who has never been AA or won a BnF) than Wright got for a multi-AA and Copeland winner in Grundy without the fire sale narrative.

Hill and Mitchell are the only big trade wins he's had with us. The rest of the trade-ins are NQRs who have become whipping boys.

Do we take a chance on Rory Lobb now that he’s been converted by Dogs as a backman ? he actually looks ok in his new role ….
If he cements this spot in defence. I reckon he stays at the dogs.
Not sure anyone will pay what he is on for a newly turned defender learning the new role.

We lost to the premiers in 2022 by 1 point. We then finished clear in 1st in 2023 and won all of our finals. It wasn't a "minor miricle". It Was just a follow on from 2022 with not to many injuries.
Pick 6/7 as it's currently being projected is not a late first rounder.

Schultz impact this year is basically just a role player. Not that different to a Frampton. I'd argue you'd miss Framptons height and versatility a lot more than we would miss Schultz. And you don't pay first and second rounders for that.

Wright created half these holes trading out talented players in Grundy, Adams, Henry and Ginnivan for peanuts. Now Grundy and Adams will probably lead Swans to a flag, Henry will be a key to Geelong's forwardline on track for top 4 and Hawks will likely overtake us on the ladder and we would've effectively paid them to take Ginnivan who's more talented than Schultz.

It's crazy to think that in a salary dump fire sale, Ned Guy managed to get more return for Treloar (who has never been AA or won a BnF) than Wright got for a multi-AA and Copeland winner in Grundy without the fire sale narrative.

Hill and Mitchell are the only big trade wins he's had with us. The rest of the trade-ins are NQRs who have become whipping boys.
So what you are saying is that you want to go back in time and keep Grundy and Ginnivan. Force Henry and Adams to go into the PSD to escape Collingwood and give back our premiership squad because with Grundy in the team we would have never had the money to pay for the salaries of Hill and Mitchell, both whom were fundamental to wining the flag for us.
We were premiers last year enjoy it while you can.

We did win win the Premiership last year……..or just dreamt it?

Dare I say McStay helped us make the GF, might want to add him.

Pick 6/7 as it's currently being projected is not a late first rounder.

Schultz impact this year is basically just a role player. Not that different to a Frampton. I'd argue you'd miss Framptons height and versatility a lot more than we would miss Schultz. And you don't pay first and second rounders for that.
Mate it's not pick 6/7. You have no idea about the draft. There will be plenty of father/son, academy, Free agency compo picks before our pick. Are you even a Collingwood supporter?

I'd rather be premiers. Which we are.

Adams wanted to leave & was injured for our GF. Ginni wanted to leave & was non existent during the GF. Henry wanted to leave & has been the Cats sub the past few weeks. And Grundy shouldn't have threatened to go back to SA if he didn't get the big whopping contract we ended up giving him.

So what you are saying is that you want to go back in time and keep Grundy and Ginnivan. Force Henry and Adams to go into the PSD to escape Collingwood and give back our premiership squad because with Grundy in the team we would have never had the money to pay for the salaries of Hill and Mitchell, both whom were fundamental to wining the flag for us.
We were premiers last year enjoy it while you can.
None of this makes sense. Adams was contracted so he can't go into the PSD. He would be useful this year with Mitchell out.

Hill is on peanuts. He came to us as an unproven talent and his current contract is so low that they are trying to renegotiate. Hawks are subsidizing Mitchell contract. The salary cap has also expanded massively so no one really has problems keeping their players. We only saved $500k trading away Grundy given how much we're subsidizing it.

And absolutely we should've called Henry's bluff and told him to go PSD and try to get to the reigning premiers.

I'm not even saying we should've kept them. I'm saying any other list manager would've extracted more trade value for them so that we could've reinvested. That's why we have holes, because we trade out talented players and ex-first rounders and get rubbish picks back.

Mate it's not pick 6/7. You have no idea about the draft. There will be plenty of father/son, academy, Free agency compo picks before our pick. Are you even a Collingwood supporter?
I know plenty about the draft. If your pick is low enough, most of the academy, compo and F/S picks come after it. It's the second round picks that generally get pushed out to nothing and that's generally what we've received when we trade out players

(Log in to remove this ad.)

None of this makes sense. Adams was contracted so he can't go into the PSD. He would be useful this year with Mitchell out.

Hill is on peanuts. He came to us as an unproven talent and his current contract is so low that they are trying to renegotiate. Hawks are subsidizing Mitchell contract. The salary cap has also expanded massively so no one really has problems keeping their players. We only saved $500k trading away Grundy given how much we're subsidizing it.

And absolutely we should've called Henry's bluff and told him to go PSD and try to get to the reigning premiers.

I'm not even saying we should've kept them. I'm saying any other list manager would've extracted more trade value for them so that we could've reinvested. That's why we have holes, because we trade out talented players and ex-first rounders and get rubbish picks back.
Okay Adams had one year to go.
Hill is on about 450K a year. Mitchell is on about 500k a year with the 1st year subsidised. We are saving about 650K a year on Grundys contract no 500k. That's what Melbourne was paying him.
The cap was stretched with Grundy in the team. With him and Henry out we had enough for both Hill and Mitchell that's pretty much the way it was.

Last edited:
I know plenty about the draft. If your pick is low enough, most of the academy, compo and F/S picks come after it. It's the second round picks that generally get pushed out to nothing and that's generally what we've received when we trade out players
Disagree. Our pick 18 got pushed back to 25 last year.

The following picks were added:
Pick 2 Academy
Pick 3 UFA
Pick 9 Adacemy
Pick 14 Academy
Pick 15 Father Son
Pick 19 Father Son
Pick 24 Academy

Pick 7 became Pick 11.
We are currently getting Pick 8. But we are 8 points (2 wins off Pick 17).

Why are people engaging with a bloke who’d find a way to be upset if he won the lottery…

In case you didn’t know from the 1000 posts saying the same bloody thing, he doesn’t like Shultz
You obviously haven't read the 1000 posts properly then because I don't dislike Schultz. I just hate the trade as well as a whole number of other trades GW has done.

You obviously haven't read the 1000 posts properly then because I don't dislike Schultz. I just hate the trade as well as a whole number of other trades GW has done.
We know. You've been telling us the same thing multiple times a day, every week, for months. Maybe write a letter to the club & let them know you think they've made mistakes.

Why would anyone read your posts?

Where do I start, Pies traded players under the gun? Do u even read ? Adams wanted out, Henry wanted out, Grundy was an overpriced hack who WASNT signed onto a stupid deal by Wright, Stevo another hack ( , Ginnivan another wanted out .. so whats left? Oh so Schultz was not a big trade .. Wright single handedly turned the club mangement, $$$ issues and coaching staff to bring us a premiership and u have the temerity to bag him ... go somewhere else with your juvenile diatribes

Last edited:
you know very little about a lot .... and write on here to prove it

Where do I start seroiously Wright traded players? Do u even read ? Adams wanted out, Henry wanted out, Grundy was an overpriced hack who WASNT signed onto a stupid deal by WrightStevo another hack ( , Ginnivan another wanted out .. so whats left? Oh Schultz was not a big rade lmfao what planet did u arrive from.. Wright single handedly turned the club mangement, $$$ isseus and coaching staff to bring us a premiership and u have the temerity to bag him ... go somehwere else with your juvenile diatribes
I have no idea what I'm reading here

I was trying to tell him last week that Wright was overrated and our list management has been a disgrace. The flag was won off the back of mainly Buckley’s core from 18/19 plus Nick Daicos. Nothing to do with Wright and his underselling of our players and overpaying for incoming players. The Lachie Schultz deal was the worst deal in the club’s history.
Not even close.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade & FA 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back