List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Have a general question. Given the influx of vfl sides, what is the view that clubs have the right to match a bid on their vfl players
It’d be a great innovation that would ultimately strengthen vfl lists as a legitimate development path.

I’m sure there’ll be an interstate team that says it’s unfair

Why would we trade blokes like Noble?

Pies have absolutely no kids coming through the best one was Harrison who has just done an ACL.

Club will run it back with this list for one more year and assume injuries were the reason for the huge drop off.

Why would we trade blokes like Noble?

Pies have absolutely no kids coming through the best one was Harrison who has just done an ACL.

Club will run it back with this list for one more year and assume injuries were the reason for the huge drop off.

They probably have to... no picks or anybody valuable enough to trade for decent picks.

It's gonna be a rough rebuild when it does inevitably start.

Looking at this weeks omissions

Fiorini should be easy and cheap to acquire as he almost made it to the club previously. Can play inside or outside… an upgrade on some of our rookies…so worth securing imo. I’d be disappointed if he wasn’t in Collingwood colours next year

Aaron Francis is the other one. OOC this year… 27 years old… would be cheap, experienced ready made mid sized defender… lacking a bit of depth in that department with TJ very young, Ryan ?
We have been into Fiorini for 5 years now.
Personally I like him and he would add good depth and he can play.
Francis is a dud, absolutely no way on him.

No 2 draft pick. 24 today. Any reason you think he may be released for a third round pick ????

None at all other than the suggestion he’s out of favour. Cheap doesn’t mean a 3rd though. Was thinking F2nd plus other picks.

Keane is exactly the wrong type of player for us to target. Contracted best 22 NQR role player that, like Schultz, will see us bend over and overpay for. I almost need to prepare myself not to rage when it ends up inevitably costing us some sort of future first or second with late picks back to dress up a pig.

For these type of role players, you need to target out of favour players that will come cheap. Like the Dunns, Rougheads even Frampton who will probably be about as consistent as Keane.

Somebody like Fiorini who might be let go for very little must be a target. The D-grade midfielder experiment must end. Throwing many darts won't always land a hit. Bytel, Sullivan and Long (credit for his game tonight) are not long-termers in AFL footy. I'm not Fiorini's hugest fan but he is just a significant upgrade on those options.

I think our veterans continue to hold up their end of the bargain to be truthful. Most of them are playing so a similar level they did in '23. The reasons we've dropped are our prime-aged players have dropped off and our bottom end - mostly comprising of bullish cheap pick-ups - simply being plodders.
Why isn’t Long a longtermer given his performance last night?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thinking about the last quarter last night and last week...

A fit Clayton Oliver would be pretty handy... but gee it'd take some balls to take that lengthy contract on. You'd have to add a few clauses in I would've thought.

“Right back in the top 4 mix next season”? Really?

I think we’ll be in the mix for the bottom four. Our old players will be even further in decline yet will still get games because we have the worst set of U25’s in the entire competition. And we have no draft picks or trade-worthy players to do anything about it.

By 2026-27, we’re going to have lost most/all of Pendles, Sidebottom, Mitchell, Elliott, Mihochek, Howe, Cox, McStay, Crisp and Hoskin-Elliott. I expect we’ll claim the wooden spoon in one/both of those seasons and, frankly, we probably need to, in order to get in the top end talent to contend again. I just hope we bottom out before Tassie comes into the comp.

As time passes, we’re all going to look back fondly on our 2023 Premiership and realise it was a bloody miracle that just about everything went right with a list that already had serious flaws in it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Injuries aside we are not losing Elliot, Mihoceck, Crisp, WHE, Mitchell - who’ll still be younger than Sidey is now.

Looking at this weeks omissions

Fiorini should be easy and cheap to acquire as he almost made it to the club previously. Can play inside or outside… an upgrade on some of our rookies…so worth securing imo. I’d be disappointed if he wasn’t in Collingwood colours next year

Aaron Francis is the other one. OOC this year… 27 years old… would be cheap, experienced ready made mid sized defender… lacking a bit of depth in that department with TJ very young, Ryan ?
No and no. If they aren’t good enough for to make those teams I’d rather play our kids.

Thinking about the last quarter last night and last week...

A fit Clayton Oliver would be pretty handy... but gee it'd take some balls to take that lengthy contract on. You'd have to add a few clauses in I would've thought.
You take that contract with 30 first round picks.

Injuries aside we are not losing Elliot, Mihoceck, Crisp, WHE, Mitchell - who’ll still be younger than Sidey is now.

You are the eternal glass half full guy, Spinny, which is admirable even if not realistic.

Mihochek is becoming prone to hamstring injuries, just like Nathan Buckley’s career ended. He’ll play next year but will be doubtful, unreliable or ineffective beyond that. The end comes fast once hammy/calf injuries become chronic. I expect Elliott to retire at the end of this season or next.

The club can’t replace six or seven guys at once, so actually needs 2-3 to go over each of the next three off-seasons.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back