List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade & FA 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve been a Daniel fan and argued a few months back that the pies should take him…

Whilst he’d be one of the better users of the ball in the team… and in the past has good stats as a clearance mid

… he’s too slow now. And is on a decent contract I believe
Agree to slow - and he’s not big enough to break tackles that inevitably come when you lack pace to move out of congestion.

FWIW Daniel is contracted for 2 more years on 700-750k.
He can stay there.

I like Daniel.

Unfortunately we are already being exposed down back.

Great kick which fits our needs, won't help our defense.

Macrae, Bytel, Sullivan, Markov, Cox, Lipinski, Frampton, Edward Allen, McCreery, Johnson, Begg and Dean. That's a third of our list that would barely get a game at any other club right now. Please tell me the majority of these players aren't contracted for next year?

Add in Carmichael and Murphy as forced retirements along with Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Howe, Elliott, Mitchell, WHE retiring in the next few years. **** me it's hard to be optimistic when we get reamed at the trade table every year.
Plenty of players being named in this thread, that we could target aren’t getting games at their club.
So what’s your point.

Last edited:
Yep, you're right. My mistake. We'd probably still want more than a third though. I suspect if it eventuates we'd want any trade to contribute meaningfully to us trying to bundle up picks for Tyler Welsh while still leaving us with room to swing for a couple of mids (which is more complicated because no-one knows if the AFL will change pick values and F/S discounts this year or next).

The days of bundling up picks to match bids are little more than a distant memory. Can only carry the same number of picks as you have list spots.

Currently going through the 2023 draft / trade thread - makes very interesting reading
Even journos thought we'd only be paying 2023 1st / maybe 2024 2nd for Schultz - some posters thinking even in this case that a pick might come back our way.
Most posts say they want Schultz - but not at a future first price

The 2023 thread won’t let me quote / reply into this 2024 thread so I’ve had to screen shot (if I’m not allowed to do this - mods please delete)

View attachment 2046633

Strangely enough, what posters do or don't want makes 3/5's of **** all difference on what the club does. FFS, build a bridge and get over it. It's been 8 months of the same thing over and over and ****ing over.

We just won a premiership. We saw an opportunity to improve our list and try to go back to back. It was always the right call. Just because it probably hasnt worked out doesnt make it the wrong call. Just because b2b is hard doesn't mean you give up on trying. Our list profile was old in 2022 should we have rebuild right before we won the premiership?
A few posters think we should stop trading for players just in case we go backwards the following year. Solid logic.

Macrae could be on the trade list.
We may have to look at another player or two that we may not expected to be traded in order to get back into the early part of the draft.
Howe l would go another season, Pendles l would make it his call and Sidey, l believe is already seeking a new 1 year deal. Personally l wouldn't be going down that route with Sidey, and giving a legend of our club, a terrific send off in Round 24 this season.
Macrae may be useful as part of a trade for Smith.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just prepare to be disappointed, Wil Brodie is a Wafl player, we won't be chasing him, he's not very good, it's just the truth. Much rather Will Phillips or the Crows Berry, madness wanting a has been.
Will Brodie isn't the player, but he's the style of player we need to partner with Nick imo. If you could guarantee me, we were getting 2022 Will Brodie, where he was top 10 for center clearances and 15th for tackles - it might be a different story, however since then he seems to have slid down the order and fallen out of favor.

However that style of contested clearance, and tackling machine around the contest, is exactly the sort we need to pair with Naicos. Sadly Pendles and Titch aren't 5 years younger, and besides JDG, are probably the best for us in that role. Ned Long showed some promise in his first 2 games for us, but it would be foolish for us to hang our hopes on him alone developing into that player. I still personally like Alex Davies from the Suns, who had another 12 tackles and 8 clearances today against Port in the absence of Touk Miller. Still only 22 years old and OOC at seasons end he would be the one I look to target.

Another one I'd have a look at is Josh Ward from the Hawks, the pick 7 from the 2021 draft. Hawthorn are boasting a significant midfield with Newcombe, Day, Mackenzie and Worpel - plus their supposed interest in Bailey Smith. Ward hasn't quite set the world on fire in his 3 seasons so far, but he's a very talented player with a nice mix of inside/contest skills and strong running work rate on the outside.

Strangely enough, what posters do or don't want makes 3/5's of **** all difference on what the club does. FFS, build a bridge and get over it. It's been 8 months of the same thing over and over and ****ing over.
No
Put me on ignore

If I have to read the “late firsts are a gamble”, “it’s essentially a 2nd rounder”, “no one could have foreseen this”, or have that a successful trading period be the justification for not criticising other trading periods (what I consider a terrible trading decision - And heaps of other opinions that, I believe, aren’t as well argued as mine - but that’s up for debate)
- then I can post what I like

And I didn’t suddenly arrive at the decision through hindsight.

You (and many others) think it was a valid, reasoned trade.

I still hope Schultz kicks a bag and we win the GF.

But I hated this trade from the moment it was raised and as long as this thread exists, I can say what I want about it.

I was also staying out of this thread today - but you quoted me(!)

So again, read, ignore, I don’t care.

No
Put me on ignore

If I have to read the “late firsts are a gamble”, “it’s essentially a 2nd rounder”, “no one could have foreseen this”, or have that a successful trading period be the justification for not criticising other trading periods (what I consider a terrible trading decision - And heaps of other opinions that, I believe, aren’t as well argued as mine - but that’s up for debate)

But I hated this trade from the moment it was raised and as long as this thread exists, I can say what I want about it.

Schultz is a good player when in form, but he isn't a 2 x 1st round draft pick type of player. If we were trading in a Toby Greene, then l would be expecting that would be the price, with a sweetner.
l know clubs have to pay overs to get players, but this is not a deal we should have agreed too. But hindsight is a wonderful thing....

Will Brodie isn't the player, but he's the style of player we need to partner with Nick imo. If you could guarantee me, we were getting 2022 Will Brodie, where he was top 10 for center clearances and 15th for tackles - it might be a different story, however since then he seems to have slid down the order and fallen out of favor.

However that style of contested clearance, and tackling machine around the contest, is exactly the sort we need to pair with Naicos. Sadly Pendles and Titch aren't 5 years younger, and besides JDG, are probably the best for us in that role. Ned Long showed some promise in his first 2 games for us, but it would be foolish for us to hang our hopes on him alone developing into that player. I still personally like Alex Davies from the Suns, who had another 12 tackles and 8 clearances today against Port in the absence of Touk Miller. Still only 22 years old and OOC at seasons end he would be the one I look to target.

Another one I'd have a look at is Josh Ward from the Hawks, the pick 7 from the 2021 draft. Hawthorn are boasting a significant midfield with Newcombe, Day, Mackenzie and Worpel - plus their supposed interest in Bailey Smith. Ward hasn't quite set the world on fire in his 3 seasons so far, but he's a very talented player with a nice mix of inside/contest skills and strong running work rate on the outside.
you are bang on regarding Alex Davies. He will get suspended today but he is a player who will attract attention and fills a gap at the Pies

Schultz hasn't cost us 2 1st round picks.

It was pick 34 (ended up being 38 on the night I believe) and a future 1st.

Obviously we did the trade hoping that future 1st was going to be in the high teens.

We gambled and not for the first time it looks like we'll come a bit unstuck due to our finishing position.

Those numbers for Brodie are impressive. So the obvious question is why the drop off?
If we can confirm it’s not his body, then he could be a cheap pick up.

Last edited:
No
Put me on ignore

Seriously this is getting absurd, because you clearly understand that the trade was a gamble worth taking to achieve B2B.
Particularly as Ginnivan wasn’t cutting it and HH and Joey weren’t stepping up.

Now that we’re struggling it’s a bad trade.
No - it was a calculated risk worth taking.
And trading is always about taking calculated risks.

We should be targeting the lists of the Suns and Giants, two clubs who have had continued access to highly rated junior talent.

There must be talented kids at those two clubs not getting games simply because they're stuck in a queue behind others who were once similarly talented juniors.

Carlton picked up a former top 10 selection in Hollands last year for SFA and he's played 14 senior games this season and kicked 12 goals.

We should be targeting the lists of the Suns and Giants, two clubs who have had continued access to highly rated junior talent.

There must be talented kids at those two clubs not getting games simply because they're stuck in a queue behind others who were once similarly talented juniors.

Carlton picked up a former top 10 selection in Hollands last year for SFA and he's played 14 senior games this season and kicked 12 goals.
Holland was the one I hoped we’d be after. But the Colombian Marching powder incident was obviously a red flag for most Club.

Seriously this is getting absurd, because you clearly understand that the trade was a gamble worth taking to achieve B2B.
Particularly as Ginnivan wasn’t cutting it and HH and Joey weren’t stepping up.

Now that we’re struggling it’s a bad trade.
No - it was a calculated risk worth taking.
And trading is always about taking calculated risks.
No. I want to go B2B.
This is not the trade I thought was the one that would get us the premiership.
I now hope it does. But I didnt think it was worth the risk - my posts have clearly indicated this.

As I’ve said, I didn’t wait until we were struggling to say it was a bad trade.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade & FA 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back