List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade & FA 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

They rated the guy so highly they gave him that astronomical contract. They've lost Brayshaw. Who knows how Petracca will be on return. If they are willing to move Oliver on, I'd take that as a big warning. He doesn't even look fit. Always blasts the ball forward without looking. I don't see the attraction at all. Particularly not with his contract & history.
As I acknowledged, you're probably right.

There are examples across the league however where teams have granted a player a large, long-term contract, only to change tack either in the way they play or to fill holes in their list which necessitates offloading the long-term contract.

The attraction is that he is a prolific ball winner who is very good with his hands in traffic and capable of releasing outside runners. It was always more likely than not that this season would be a struggle for him; the reward is that it is an outlier and that he comes back better next season.

With where they're at, salary cap might be more valuable to the Dogs than draft picks at the moment. A deal that enables them to keep English would be worth a fair bit to them.
Surely they would want a draft pick as well. They might want to get Daniels salary off their books, but they ouldn't give Smith away for nothing, their salary cap couldn't be that bad.

Surely they would want a draft pick as well. They might want to get Daniels salary off their books, but they ouldn't give Smith away for nothing, their salary cap couldn't be that bad.
I don't see why they'd forgo draft picks from either Geelong or Hawthorn, just to offload Daniel's salary, noting that if Smith leaves they also shed his salary.

A better approach for them to take would be to deal with both players separately to maximise the return they get for Smith. If they need to contribute towards Daniel's salary, then that would be a better outcome than forgoing the ability to maximise the return they receive for Smith, particularly as there's demand in the market for Smith.

GC gave away a top 10 pick to get Bowes off their books - assumedly it was so that they could keep someone. It might come down to a choice for them between a top 10 pick or keeping English and getting a second round pick. You'd keep English wouldn't you?

It's all too complicated these days for us mugs to really evaluate trades - particularly as we never really know a key component - the salaries involved. We've got our head around salary dumps, but what about salary bargains - how much more do you have to pay if the bloke is contracted at unders and how much more are you willing to pay if he's agreed to a cheap contract - I think that was probably a factor in the Schultz trade. It's no longer just matching how good the bloke is with his trade price.

Most people were happy to give up our 1st Rounder this year for Schultz as we believed that we were going to be a Top 4 side again and that pick was going to be Pick 14 plus.
Now that things aren't going to plan, everyone is whinging about giving our 1st rounder for him.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
Top 10 is no guarantee that the player would be any good. How many Top 10 picks have failed over the years.

Most people were happy to give up our 1st Rounder this year for Schultz as we believed that we were going to be a Top 4 side again and that pick was going to be Pick 14 plus.
Now that things aren't going to plan, everyone is whinging about giving our 1st rounder for him.
Top 10 is no guarantee that the player would be any good. How many Top 10 picks have failed over the years.

A lot of people (me included) are uncomfortable with trading out future firsts so regularly. It can blow up in your face and has done so once already spectacularly when we finished second-last. Yes, I know we had to trade out because of Nick bid's etc. But we could have waited to see where our pick fell and got full value for it. These trades have been pretty inept.

Future firsts should only be used on near certain A-B+-graders.

And then we again have fallen victim to our hubris and swapped future seconds with Hawthorn for Ginni.

These trades seem to be done at warp speed....

It's one thing to be easy to deal with at the trade table.. but it's another thing altogether to buying high and selling low all the time. Does anyone think Hawthorn, Freo etc will consider these past trades when it comes to dealing with us again and give us a great deal? I don't.

Assuming there was any truth in the rumour we’d still have to part with our future first for Smith. Even with Daniels and his contract bundled in.

Given our likely pick, it will be just as attractive, if not more so, than the 2024 firsts on offer from the Hawks and Cats.

The whole two horse race illusion could have shifted very quickly with our free fall down the ladder.

Hindsight is great. Im sure they would have a different exit interview with Adams too right now knowing Mitchells injury and Fin Macraes slower development at AFL level. But they thought post flag Ginnivan and Adams weren't needed and Shultz was.

People seem to forget Ginnivan struggled last year and by his own admittance struggled with his role in the Pies forward line. His role at the Hawks cannot be compared.

Hindsight we would go harder at Goldstein or another ruck knowing Darcy C would be on his own most of the year.

Oh wait if we knew Murphy and Carmichael would retire we could have made different choices in the draft and trade.

But we didn't know. Shultz is a Collingwood player and analyzing last years trades is a waste of time. So boring.

If that's not enough to get clickbait then lets talk about Graeme Wright while he is overseas. Surely he is to blame. 🤣

All I care about is beating the hawks, qualifying for finals and going b2b. That's what's ahead of us. Until we can't qualify I am not reading anything different. No excuses. Proud of this club and what they have given us.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Hindsight is great. Im sure they would have a different exit interview with Adams too right now knowing Mitchells injury and Fin Macraes slower development at AFL level. But they thought post flag Ginnivan and Adams weren't needed and Shultz was.

People seem to forget Ginnivan struggled last year and by his own admittance struggled with his role in the Pies forward line. His role at the Hawks cannot be compared.

Hindsight we would go harder at Goldstein or another ruck knowing Darcy C would be on his own most of the year.

Oh wait if we knew Murphy and Carmichael would retire we could have made different choices in the draft and trade.

But we didn't know. Shultz is a Collingwood player and analyzing last years trades is a waste of time. So boring.

If that's not enough to get clickbait then lets talk about Graeme Wright while he is overseas. Surely he is to blame. 🤣

All I care about is beating the hawks, qualifying for finals and going b2b. That's what's ahead of us. Until we can't qualify I am not reading anything different. No excuses. Proud of this club and what they have given us.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
What a bloody great post, you sir get my fav gif in response.

IMG_0412.gif

GC gave away a top 10 pick to get Bowes off their books - assumedly it was so that they could keep someone. It might come down to a choice for them between a top 10 pick or keeping English and getting a second round pick. You'd keep English wouldn't you?

It's all too complicated these days for us mugs to really evaluate trades - particularly as we never really know a key component - the salaries involved. We've got our head around salary dumps, but what about salary bargains - how much more do you have to pay if the bloke is contracted at unders and how much more are you willing to pay if he's agreed to a cheap contract - I think that was probably a factor in the Schultz trade. It's no longer just matching how good the bloke is with his trade price.
Hopefully it's either Daniels and Smith or English, that's assuming Daniels and Smith demand to come to CFC, could we be so lucky?!?!?

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only have to go back to what happened with our salary dump. We recd very little draft capital in return. Agree that it is feasible a package deal is in the offing and not much will need to be paid as a result

Pretty sure the player must tick on of these boxes to be selected in National draft by Hiney!

1. Plays for Oakleigh Chargers

2. Brother plays AFL

3. Dual sports

4. Supported Collingwood growing up

5. Currently injured

He’ll have to try his hardest to pass over all the talls available in the draft around our first pick .

He’ll have to try his hardest to pass over all the talls available in the draft around our first pick .

Someone needs to tie him up and stash him in the next room

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t think too many were happy giving a future first for Schultz, they were ok giving 2023’s first though.
We caved just so we could move on to the next deal, Wright use to do that at Hawthorn as well. It burnt us
Should of held our ground

With where they're at, salary cap might be more valuable to the Dogs than draft picks at the moment. A deal that enables them to keep English would be worth a fair bit to them.
Look at our list. Where is our money going? We’d have a crap load of players on less than the league average

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade & FA 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back