List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Reef is an asset.
He's likely being used incorrectly. Should be up the ground more.

You are of course welcome to your opinion, but what I can’t agree with is your assessment that Reef is being ‘used incorrectly’. Implicit in this is a scenario where (a) the coaches including the development coaches don’t know what they’re doing, and/or (b) the coaches are somehow deliberately sabotaging Reef’s career and (as a consequence) the team’s ability to perform to our best.

Now I’m not suggesting that you are saying that - but if I consider the implications of your opinion, where else is there to go?

And in a very difficult season for us - why wouldn’t the coaches have tried Reef elsewhere?

Answer: because they don’t think he’s up to it, and when desperate to win games, he would be a liability.

You are of course welcome to your opinion, but what I can’t agree with is your assessment that Reef is being ‘used incorrectly’. Implicit in this is a scenario where (a) the coaches including the development coaches don’t know what they’re doing, and/or (b) the coaches are somehow deliberately sabotaging Reef’s career and (as a consequence) the team’s ability to perform to our best.

Now I’m not suggesting that you are saying that - but if I consider the implications of your opinion, where else is there to go?

And in a very difficult season for us - why wouldn’t the coaches have tried Reef elsewhere?

Answer: because they don’t think he’s up to it, and when desperate to win games, he would be a liability.
List sizes are an issue. They mean that if you're in contention, you're best off using a bloke where he is going to best provide depth rather than necessarily using them where they are going to best develop.

He's one that I think should have been tried down back - but we've needed him as forward depth over the last couple of years.

It's difficult to comment on why Reef is shunted in and out of the team without knowing the reasons why or the feedback that's being given to him. Obviously none of us would know unless we're part of the coaching or development team so we're left to make assumptions and conclusions from what we observe.

To me he has the traits to make it as an AFL-level player, however doesn't seem to find the footy enough. Whether that's due to his inability to get from contest to contest, or a flaw in his reading of the play, I don't know.

It seems obvious though that our coaching panel either doesn't consider him to be at the AFL standard right now, or quite ready to play 4 quarters at the AFL standard.

Last edited:
List sizes are an issue. They mean that if you're in contention, you're best off using a bloke where he is going to best provide depth rather than necessarily using them where they are going to best develop.

He's one that I think should have been tried down back - but we've needed him as forward depth over the last couple of years.

Apparently he’s been training down back today.

Why haven't the coaches tried Reef elsewhere? Because we're always chronically undersized up forward in the seniors and magoos and he's had to play there out of necessity. Would love to see him off half back and his last AIA game was mostly onball.

Why haven't the coaches tried Reef elsewhere? Because we're always chronically undersized up forward in the seniors and magoos and he's had to play there out of necessity. Would love to see him off half back and his last AIA game was mostly onball.

But when other talls return to the forward line, he’s dropped and not tried elsewhere.

At any rate, playing Reef at half back has been the talk of BF this morning, and I’d love for that to work.

Reef was recruited under the Buckley regime? Ditto Finlay?

It would be interesting to know if Fly was the coach at the time, would Reef have been selected?

I feel Fly would have a greater sense of loyalty to those players recruited via the draft or trade to the club during his tenure.

It's a bit like when Hardwick became the coach of the Suns. Chol knew his days were numbered.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fly talked about the aging list and the list in general in his presser, and they have a meeting this afternoon about it, and who may go on and who may not.
I think some hard decisions do need to be made, but at the same time we need to space it out so we don’t get the culture shock of five or six retirements at once

Fly talked about the aging list and the list in general in his presser, and they have a meeting this afternoon about it, and who may go on and who may not.

Lucky I listened to his presser before posting this reply, was going to say that I really hoped that these convos happen regularly (+ before trade periods!)

Lucky I listened to his presser before posting this reply, was going to say that I really hoped that these convos happen regularly (+ before trade periods!)
yeah, you'd think these conversations are a continued thing as we reach the end of the year

But when other talls return to the forward line, he’s dropped and not tried elsewhere.

At any rate, playing Reef at half back has been the talk of BF this morning, and I’d love for that to work.
Ask yourself how many games Brodie and McStay have played together, we're always short handed it seems so over to Reef and he gives it a go.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back