List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

We need to find players that will fit into our system and be in the top 25ish players consistently for selection.

That’s effectively what we did post 2022
The acquisitions of Hill, McStay, Mitchell and Frampton gave us exactly that and all of them didn’t cost us anything beyond a second round pick that was deep in the 40s really as a collective.

This is the space we need to operate in this off season again.

Yes stick to those type trades and profit.

Agree with this, I don't see us winning the whole thing next year, why delay the inevitable? Happy to be proven wrong but personally don't see where our growth comes from where it shoots us back in to top 4 next year.
Why delay the inevitable? Because it's not a strong competition with no dominant teams. Could easily run it back with a couple of tweaks and be back at the pointy end so that's what we'll be doing.

“Right back in the top 4 mix next season”? Really?

I think we’ll be in the mix for the bottom four. Our old players will be even further in decline yet will still get games because we have the worst set of U25’s in the entire competition. And we have no draft picks or trade-worthy players to do anything about it.

By 2026-27, we’re going to have lost most/all of Pendles, Sidebottom, Mitchell, Elliott, Mihochek, Howe, Cox, McStay, Crisp and Hoskin-Elliott. I expect we’ll claim the wooden spoon in one/both of those seasons and, frankly, we probably need to, in order to get in the top end talent to contend again. I just hope we bottom out before Tassie comes into the comp.

As time passes, we’re all going to look back fondly on our 2023 Premiership and realise it was a bloody miracle that just about everything went right with a list that already had serious flaws in it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Pretty sure if we do finish last in any of those years you will get pick 4 ish, going of gws and gc entry.

If Lukosius is on big money, he might be worth prying out on the cheap. It's simply inevitable that more players will fall out of the Suns as the side gets older - they won't be prioritising their third most valuable tall forward.

When I say cheap, I mean I think he might be gettable for a second if his entire contract is taken up.

I'm not convinced we can play a three tall forward line without one being able to ruck, however. We simply can't expect it of McStay nor Mihocek, and we couldn't play three talls + Cameron and Cox. So the question begs - would what we lose by playing Luko instead of Maso as second ruck be negligible with what we gain around the ground?

What position does Lukosius actually want to play?

Could he slot in across half back and we utilise his long kicking? Or is his preference to be a third tall forward?

“Right back in the top 4 mix next season”? Really?

I think we’ll be in the mix for the bottom four. Our old players will be even further in decline yet will still get games because we have the worst set of U25’s in the entire competition. And we have no draft picks or trade-worthy players to do anything about it.

By 2026-27, we’re going to have lost most/all of Pendles, Sidebottom, Mitchell, Elliott, Mihochek, Howe, Cox, McStay, Crisp and Hoskin-Elliott. I expect we’ll claim the wooden spoon in one/both of those seasons and, frankly, we probably need to, in order to get in the top end talent to contend again. I just hope we bottom out before Tassie comes into the comp.

As time passes, we’re all going to look back fondly on our 2023 Premiership and realise it was a bloody miracle that just about everything went right with a list that already had serious flaws in it.

That is your glass half empty view.

I have the view point that there is no side in the competition that we can't beat when we have our best side on the park. Yes, we have an old list, but we were smashed with injuries all year to key players that broke down our season. We also played on a shortened pre-season with a tough fixture as a result of finishing in the top 4 last year.

We will go into next season with a full off-season, a healthy list (hopefully) and fixture that will give us double ups against some of the other bottom/middle sides of this season.

Sure, there is a world where the table falls out behind some of our older players, but I think they are all still playing good footy and see no reason why they won't in 2025.

Could he slot in across half back and we utilise his long kicking? Or is his preference to be a third tall forward?
Every forward who comes to Collingwood as a natural forward by trade .ends up on defence sadly lol
Only Hill and McStay have stayed true.

Lukosius would be a wonderful third tall type half forward but for his cost that type of player isn’t worth the currency in terms of trade and $$$..

Jeremy Howe when we brought him in was a far better player and he was effectively involved in a 3 way trade that involved a second rounder in the mix.

There’s too many players now running around with an inflated cost that just doesn’t marry up for me

That is your glass half empty view.

I have the view point that there is no side in the competition that we can't beat when we have our best side on the park. Yes, we have an old list, but we were smashed with injuries all year to key players that broke down our season. We also played on a shortened pre-season with a tough fixture as a result of finishing in the top 4 last year.

We will go into next season with a full off-season, a healthy list (hopefully) and fixture that will give us double ups against some of the other bottom/middle sides of this season.

Sure, there is a world where the table falls out behind some of our older players, but I think they are all still playing good footy and see no reason why they won't in 2025.
I’m optimistic for 2025 without saying we’ll win the flag. Think we will make finals.

Prefers to be a forward

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The players we've drafted have not come on. The trades we've made haven't been the smartest decisions, but all of that has happened so we need to deal with it and look forwards.
I think we gave up way too much for Schutlz, but I also think it wasn't his decision and I'm not going to slag him off. We've traded out Grundy and Treloar to clear some cash, but still paying some of their contract, Ginnivan was a loose cannon, I like him as a footballer but he seems like he's not a club player, so I'll trust the club, in the same way I trusted the club to trade and draft I guess.

I'm prepared for the next few years to be languishing on the bottom. Loads of gaps in all spots, relying on too many that are over 30 and some players who are too young but needing to be on every week. I think we need 2025 as a buffer and to blood the younger brigade or those mature but inexperienced players, ala Dean, Long, Sullivan, Steene, Richards and McInnes, providing both of those last two stay. You don't get on an AFL list by chance, all of these players have shown something, they just need to show it at the top level. Kyle Martin syndrome.
I'd be keep Kruegs but on a year contract.

I dare say Markov might be unlucky come delisitng time. Johnson, Begg as well. With two retirements so far, Carry and Murph, that's 5 changes. The club may go harder or trade out some players for picks, but I can't see teams knocking our door down for anyone on the outer in particular. Maybe Reef.
I could just be pessemistic, but I'm preparing myself.

I reckon you’re on the money.

Why delay the inevitable? Because it's not a strong competition with no dominant teams. Could easily run it back with a couple of tweaks and be back at the pointy end so that's what we'll be doing.

I think you’re deluding yourself. The output from our old brigade will continue to diminish but none of our youngsters are producing strong enough performances to force them out of the side. Harrison looked the most likely and now he’s going to be sidelined for a year. Every other team has far more talented youngsters who will improve again in 2025. We will go backwards in relative terms, perhaps cushioned a little by a slightly easier fixture.

I expect to finish 2025 above Richmond, West Coast and St Kilda. Not confident about any others.

If doggies looked to move on macrae and Daniel for cap relief I’d look at both.

Peter wright despite extending recently is on the outer. Could be another cap dump.

There’s some trades we could do to improve short term and improve on what we have.

You make those top-up type of trades if you’re a contender. We’re not and those players are all past the midpoints of their careers.

I think we should trade John Noble. He’s one of very few players on our list who would attract a draft pick higher than what we paid for him. Buy low, sell higher is the key to trading which we routinely get the wrong way around.

The players we've drafted have not come on. The trades we've made haven't been the smartest decisions, but all of that has happened so we need to deal with it and look forwards.
I think we gave up way too much for Schutlz, but I also think it wasn't his decision and I'm not going to slag him off. We've traded out Grundy and Treloar to clear some cash, but still paying some of their contract, Ginnivan was a loose cannon, I like him as a footballer but he seems like he's not a club player, so I'll trust the club, in the same way I trusted the club to trade and draft I guess.

I'm prepared for the next few years to be languishing on the bottom. Loads of gaps in all spots, relying on too many that are over 30 and some players who are too young but needing to be on every week. I think we need 2025 as a buffer and to blood the younger brigade or those mature but inexperienced players, ala Dean, Long, Sullivan, Steene, Richards and McInnes, providing both of those last two stay. You don't get on an AFL list by chance, all of these players have shown something, they just need to show it at the top level. Kyle Martin syndrome.
I'd be keep Kruegs but on a year contract.

I dare say Markov might be unlucky come delisitng time. Johnson, Begg as well. With two retirements so far, Carry and Murph, that's 5 changes. The club may go harder or trade out some players for picks, but I can't see teams knocking our door down for anyone on the outer in particular. Maybe Reef.
I could just be pessemistic, but I'm preparing myself.
Didnt we just re-sign Leggy for 2025 season?

I think we should trade John Noble. He’s one of very few players on our list who would attract a draft pick higher than what we paid for him. Buy low, sell higher is the key to trading which we routinely get the wrong way around.

I think Noble will be on the table along with a another few who may come up in conversation, such as Lipinski, Quaynor McInnes, Johnson and maybe Richards...

Man, what? Why do we have to get younger? We need to get better.
Haynes is not getting us any better he is finished and has been for a couple of years
We need to have an eye on our future yes we need to get better but added extra players 30 plus is not the answer unless they are someone like Tom Mitchell brought in to play a specific role and still at the top of their game

Doubt Quaynor would be on the table
Hasn’t had a great year but signed a long term contract earlier this year
The others I agree with
You can say the same for Lippa. Has been quiet for a month, but signed a 3 year deal in march until 2027 so doubt a rival is offering him a 5 year deal to move.
Noble not going anywhere either. Players in the best 23 I very doubt will be on the trade table.

Johnson probably, but don't think there will be mass changes. Richards has interested parties.

Our VFL team is pox.
Worst in the comp.
Young players when elevated fail to step up.
Trade currency is weak. I’d imagine 3rd rounders? (Re Ryan, McInness, McCrae). Why toss out cheap, unfulfilled potential? Keep our youth.
We need to totally overhaul our VFL program. Brendan McCarthy, I’m seeing a lot on game days? Isn’t he meant to be a junior coaching guru? Why isn’t he coaching VFL? Josh Fraser needs to get the flick.
Our only players worth anything and not essential to our core are JFN, Lipinski and (maybe) Richards. They’ll get us 2nd rounders.
Johnson as a swap for Keane? In what universe? I’m looking to dump Johnson’s contract. I’m taking a 4th rounder. He’s tapped out.
Who do we retire? How can we offload them, especially when we don’t have youth that can challenge their spots?
I see our only options being UFAs. Our trading position is poor and we don’t have much to get into the draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back