List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

The issue was that our pacey midfielders lacked defensive traits and our defensive mids lacked pace.

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Maybe but they were good enough to win a flag last year and be ahead in a lot of games this year before they went into defensive mode in final quarters. I really feel that we just didn’t play to our strengths late in games. If most of our mids tend to be attacking then go with that a bit longer in matches or go defensive in first quarters then storm home in the last three. I guess I’m feeling that we are downplaying our own players a bit off the back of a disappointing year.

Last edited:
Yeh, I wouldn't object to us picking up Matt Kennedy, although who knows what his price would be and whether we would have to pay a Pie tax given he plays for Carlton.

My post was more in reference to Macrae, who's only a year younger than Parker.

In terms of our coaches it's difficult without knowing what their endurance levels are like to know why the coaches play some kids as subs. Assuming that it's an endurance issue, you could always pick a more experienced player as sub and then sub them on when the younger player tires, however this probably gives you less flexibility in the event there's an injury to another player.

There's a lot of talk around Reef as he's out of contract at the end of this season. Perhaps the club is willing to see what the market is like for him first knowing that we can match any offer if we choose to. Or perhaps the club is attempting to keep multiple balls in the air which are dependent on not only players already at the club, but potential acquisitions.

For what it's worth I'd like to see them persist with Reef.
We've got a poor draft hand this year, we need to understand the impact of the 2025 bidding/matching scheme to ensure that we have cover for Tom McGuane next year. Looks like we're in no position to bring in Tier 1 contracted players this year - the large number of uncontracted players gives us some flexibility to shake out some targeted Tier 2 players who drop down the pecking order at their current club as a result of player trading.

They'd want a lot more than Checkers, a future first and Richards
I wonder how much leverage CP would have in this circumstance if he did sincerely want out and selects whatever club.

Usually it’s a return home factor or just wants out, more opportunity elsewhere etc.

CP doesn’t flag these factors but if he’s gained unrest along with family not being (supposedly) happy with the way the club dealt with his injury vs us, I wonder if he has more say in his request than other circumstances if he said he wanted out.

2 years ago we are looking at a rebuild. We win a flag last year out of script. We can't keep going along this well worn path. I think it is about time the smart money was put into a future team that can give us at least 2 or 3 flags in a decade.
I don't think any team would be rated poorly if they wern't contending until 4 years after their last flag. But if we keep going the way we are it will be 1 flag every 10-20 years. Not for me I'm afraid. I've had that for the last 60 years. Even at myage, I'd wait four years for the start of a Dynasty.

2 years ago we are looking at a rebuild. We win a flag last year out of script. We can't keep going along this well worn path. I think it is about time the smart money was put into a future team that can give us at least 2 or 3 flags in a decade.
I don't think any team would be rated poorly if they wern't contending until 4 years after their last flag. But if we keep going the way we are it will be 1 flag every 10-20 years. Not for me I'm afraid. I've had that for the last 60 years. Even at myage, I'd wait four years for the start of a Dynasty.
I'd be happy with B2B .............

for starters

I wonder how much leverage CP would have in this circumstance if he did sincerely want out and selects whatever club.

Usually it’s a return home factor or just wants out, more opportunity elsewhere etc.

CP doesn’t flag these factors but if he’s gained unrest along with family not being (supposedly) happy with the way the club dealt with his injury vs us, I wonder if he has more say in his request than other circumstances if he said he wanted out.
I expect in the first instance Melbourne will take a business first attitude.
Even if they sympathise with his cause and agree to trade him, they will feel they should be able to get fair price for him.
The club would probably only let him go for less if they were really concerned Petracca or his management may make their views and concerns public if he didn’t get to where he wanted to be.

IMO, we need an in-and-under midfielder to extract the ball and distribute it to the Daicos bros and DeGoey on the outside. We really don't want Nick in particular getting crunched trying to win the ball at the coalface. He needs more protection and is most damaging as first receiver, not extractor.

What are your thoughts on Clayton Oliver if we can get him from Melbourne for say our 2nd-rounder plus our 2025 2nd-rounder, with the Dees paying a significant chunk of his salary? Cleary Oliver has his issues and is a poor kick but he is a contested ball-winning beast, tackling machine and good distributor by hand. A fresh start under Fly might be just what he needs to turn things around. And the Dees are unlikely to play hard-ball over him at the trade table. Oliver turning his career around is not that far-fetched - look at what Jesse Hogan has done.

Given our weak draft hand, I think we really need to get creative and look for a turn-around prospect with big upside potential.

IMO, we need an in-and-under midfielder to extract the ball and distribute it to the Daicos bros and DeGoey on the outside. We really don't want Nick in particular getting crunched trying to win the ball at the coalface. He needs more protection and is most damaging as first receiver, not extractor.

What are your thoughts on Clayton Oliver if we can get him from Melbourne for say our 2nd-rounder plus our 2025 2nd-rounder, with the Dees paying a significant chunk of his salary? Cleary Oliver has his issues and is a poor kick but he is a contested ball-winning beast, tackling machine and good distributor by hand. A fresh start under Fly might be just what he needs to turn things around. And the Dees are unlikely to play hard-ball over him at the trade table. Oliver turning his career around is not that far-fetched - look at what Jesse Hogan has done.

Given our weak draft hand, I think we really need to get creative and look for a turn-around prospect with big upside potential.

In a heartbeat.

Two GF appearances and 2Prelims in 5 years suggests to me that we are going ok. I love that we pretty consistently are playing finals rather than bottoming out for 5-10 years at a time.

Wouldn't touch Clayton Oliver. He's toxic.

EXCITING PIE WEIGHS OPTIONS

COLLINGWOOD has tabled a contract offer to lively small forward Joe Richards, who is weighing interest from multiple clubs including Port Adelaide.

Richards made an eye-catching start to his Pies career earlier this season, breaking through for eight senior games before his campaign was curtailed midway through the year by a fractured foot.

The zippy attacker has attracted rival interest from across the competition, primarily from the Power, and is expected to mull his options over the final fortnight of the season.

Richards, a former schoolteacher, became one of the stories of the 2022 draft when he was selected by Collingwood as a 22-year-old following an outstanding campaign with the Wangaratta Magpies in the Ovens and Murray Football League.

He is one of a number of small forwards being considered by rival clubs with Carlton's Matt Owies, Sydney's Jacob Konstanty and West Coast's Liam Ryan among those attracting interest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

EXCITING PIE WEIGHS OPTIONS

COLLINGWOOD has tabled a contract offer to lively small forward Joe Richards, who is weighing interest from multiple clubs including Port Adelaide.

Richards made an eye-catching start to his Pies career earlier this season, breaking through for eight senior games before his campaign was curtailed midway through the year by a fractured foot.

The zippy attacker has attracted rival interest from across the competition, primarily from the Power, and is expected to mull his options over the final fortnight of the season.

Richards, a former schoolteacher, became one of the stories of the 2022 draft when he was selected by Collingwood as a 22-year-old following an outstanding campaign with the Wangaratta Magpies in the Ovens and Murray Football League.

He is one of a number of small forwards being considered by rival clubs with Carlton's Matt Owies, Sydney's Jacob Konstanty and West Coast's Liam Ryan among those attracting interest.

Interesting regarding Houston, wonder who the other clubs are? If Richards chooses to go to Port maybe we could offer up Richards and a pick.

I don't think we are any chance of snagging Petracca, which is a shame because he is a champ. But I wouldn't be discounting the challenge he has ahead of him to get back to full fitness. He has not been able to exert himself for months. Has lost a decent amount of muscle mass and undoubtedly a lot of conditioning.

He will surely get both back and he looks the type who can stack on muscle by looking at a dumbbell - but it is not an insignificant challenge ahead of him.
I think Melbourne will do all they can to keep Petracca happy. If that means taking peanuts for guys like Oliver, moving on Pert etc etc, they will do it.

Gawn and Petracca will force major changes at that club.

I thought it was simple. If we trade a future 1st, chances are we will finish lower than expected on the ladder. We retain it and chances are we rocket back up.

also mentioned that the crows could choose to keep him, like they have with previous players.
I’d prefer they keep him and we pick him up in 12 months as a FA if we want him. Crows will demand overs this year.

Yes, depending on the draft cost.

If it's for a 3rd round pick or later, I can't see why not.

He'd add depth and leadership to our midfield and, being a former captain, might also be able to provide some valuable intel on Swans strategies and players who are on the fringes and open to a move.

James Peatling at GWS. Was a mid season draftee in 2021, but has shown some promise for GWS in the midfield. Might be worth a look given his age profile and fills a need

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
The issue here is he has offers north of $800k in front of him per season.

The other concern is …Fly doesn’t give away midfield mins to players he doesn’t trust or as he says numerous times “set them up to fail”.

Next season we will still have a midfield that will contain Naicos, JDG, Mitchell, Crisp, Penldes, Jaicos and possibly even Sidebottom still.

The only player in the current market up for grabs that would command instant midfield minutes as it stands based on the above is Bailey Smith.

Ben Hobbs anyone?
Might be on the move.
Bachar Houli
Patrick Ryder
Jake Melksham
Josh Jenkins
Michael Hibberd
Adam Saad
Massimo D'Ambrosio

I would like to extend this list of players who enjoyed success after leaving Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back