List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Treloar was as forced out due to salary cap.
Different circumstances here.

If Petracca wants out, he should make his position clear.

And Melbourne should then make their position clear if they’re willing to allow him to blow up the joint or move him on
The trade period hasn’t even started yet and you’re expecting public declarations?

Sorry in advance - don’t read - I’m just responding to Sideswipe!

Well I’m not sure how to multi quote sadly but in response …

1. Pneumothorax ( if large) can be very easy to hear and diagnose sometimes but nigh on impossible other times ( if small )
Clearly I have no idea how big or small in this case - but you’d expect a high index of suspicion assuming Christian was admitting -or otherwise demonstrating the degree of rib tenderness to pressing the area that would have inevitably been present in that very area.

Summary - yes- it was potentially reasonably missable.

2. N/a - We don’t know that further damage was done - and I don’t think that I implied it had, and I don’t think anyone thought or suggested further damage was done (Despite the commentators querying why Collingwood wasn’t targeting Petracca, they didn’t appear to at all)

( in fact, a club insider told me that the players were told he was in real trouble and to be careful of inflicting further injury - rightly or wrongly)

3. Who knows what was missed without being there. But the damage was done by a knee to the ribs whilst in play before he came off - so the damage was done prior to the examination.
That said, the bleeding would have taken time to fully develop.
As would the pneumothorax.

But not so the extreme tenderness from the rib fractures.

And that tenderness was in such a dangerous area ( exact location of the vulnerable mushy spleen) that a very high index of suspicion of potentially serious concern was fully warranted.

So yes, concern re the original condition should have prevented him from going back to play - that together with the issue that he could barely move at all!

I’m not sure whether you need to prove that a return to play resulted in a worsening - but I’d maintain he shouldn’t have been allowed to return at all.

I’m clearly satisfied the Drs did not know he had a ruptured spleen and pneumothorax because obviously no one would send him back with either of those.

But, I do think they should have been very aware that those injuries were a very high risk, with a rib injury in that area, so I would think that IF - I repeat if - the Drs did not perform a full assessment, eg checking blood pressure and lung sounds, then they could well be found be be potentially liable for mismanagement. He almost died and that’s what the family would definitely know, is no doubt why they’re so upset with the club.

Patients have successfully sued for things way less than this.

Yes, I very much doubt there’s a contractual ‘Out’ for Christian here, as you say, but you’d think the club would understand why he’s so unhappy, and may factor that in to any discussions.

Re your final comment, yes maybe I’m going in a bit strong, but I can 100% say that having been a footy club doc for 10-12 years myself, that it was a very foreseeable serious risk that he was allowed back on.

And like always, things are always much easier in hindsight for all concerned.
Things are very rarely black and white in most areas of medicine.

If it can’t be proved further damage was done, then there is no action. End of story.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nope, problem is when you pay overs for players like Shultz that sets a precedent as to what other clubs expect from you.
The expectation in what a club will pay depends on the club asking.
If Melbourne mention this how can you really argue?
This is what some don’t realise mishandling trades leaves to open to getting screwed on other trades.
I think it probably set the expectation for what they could get dealing with GW more than with Collingwood as a whole.
If we’re going in to trade week with Leppitsch in charge of list management as is rumoured, then I think clubs will be unlikely to expect a Wright type experience in negotiations.

Part of Edmund's reporting on Sports day (SEN) was that Petracca wants to go to a BIG Victorian (or was it purely Melbourne?) club.

Have to have elite facilities, resources, great leadership from the top down, etc.

Counts out the Saints, Bulldogs, North

Probably counts out Richmond just because of where they're at. Would they even chase him?

Leaves us, Carlton, Essendon (I assume) and probably Hawthorn. Not sure Geelong would be in the picture.

Yeah I guess that makes sense. They'd be getting more than Harry too, they'd ask for a pick too, I'd imagine.
More than McKay for Petracca? No way, Melbourne would take a straight swap and feel like they’d gotten away with robbery.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Part of Edmund's reporting on Sports day (SEN) was that Petracca wants to go to a BIG Victorian (or was it purely Melbourne?) club.

Have to have elite facilities, resources, great leadership from the top down, etc.

Counts out the Saints, Bulldogs, North

Probably counts out Richmond just because of where they're at. Would they even chase him?

Leaves us, Carlton, Essendon (I assume) and probably Hawthorn. Not sure Geelong would be in the picture.
The Bulldogs new facilities are for all intents and purposes, best in the league. The only part that doesn’t work for them is that they’re not a big club.

Could we get our Ginnivan pick back perhaps?
In a deal on Frost it’s not exactly appealing. I’m also not overly keen on a 31yo Frost your follow up with Lewis makes more sense, IMO. Has anyone checked in on Carl with the latest on Trac? That one’s moving fast!

Last edited:
I personally think the Schultz trade will be proven a good decision. He can’t be judged on goals alone. His efforts off the ball, pressure, chasing and tackling help create turnovers.

Ginni was a front running show pony, Schultz is a much better fit for the culture Fly is building.

I have a feeling we will be saving some $ to have a red hot crack at the Bont next season. Perfect replacement for Pendles, contract at dogs ends in 25 and is an unrestricted free agent. With the deals they are locking away for Jamara, Naughton and Darcy, they may just run short of funds for the Bont.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
Good summation, Lachie.

In the words of Kane Cornes, our Oracle and voice of reason... Harry McKay is not fit to carry Petracca's bags.
He’s a Coleman medallist just coming in to his absolute prime years. Melbourne would do that trade every day of the week.

I'd be all over Hewitt if we could get him, one of the most underrated midfielders going around, nice size, absolute machine at the stoppages who can also get on the outside and is a nice user of the ball especially by foot.

If he was the one who gets shaken out of the tree by the scum having too many mouths to feed then I'd hope we'd be all over him, even at 29 in December he'll give us 3-4 very solid years of production and help take some pressure of Nicky.
I’d get behind it I just don’t think it’s realistic. If I’m Carlton he’s the last of that “gettable” group I’m allowing to leave. IMO, he’s their third best mid.

Do we go after trac or does it have a slight whiff of Dayne Beams about it? An injured “star” who’s past his prime but still a good player. Mind you trac is way better than the Beams but we’ve been burnt and I’m really hesitant at losing another first round pick. Can we just give them 4 average players? That’ll be equivalent. AJ, Reef, JFN and Finn. Probably not 😂

In a deal on Frost it’s not exactly appealing. I’m also not overly keen on a 31yo Frost. Has anyone checked in on Carl with the latest on Trac? That one’s moving fast!
What's changed? Melbourne aren't trading him, he's signed for another 5 years so you can froth all you like.

Who’s the party leaking Petracca doesn’t like Casey?
Most likely someone putting 2 and 2 together similar to what is shown below and coming up with an answer of 4 5.

1724667151626.png

Probably not a whole lot of substance to it beyond a musing similar to "dunno if I'd want to be making the trek to the back blocks of Crimebourne from my pad in Kew Armadale 4+ times a week if I were him".

Last edited:
What's changed? Melbourne aren't trading him, he's signed for another 5 years so you can froth all you like.
No frothing I’m just concerned for your welfare and reading/ comprehension skills. It’s a slow week with the pre-finals bye and I expect it to die down into next week, but you’re still keen on the ride or die approach. Interesting.

Just looking at the lay of the land. We don’t have the draft capital to satisfy the dees, carlton don’t have the cap space without convincing someone to move, good luck with that, tigers are a basket case, dons are going nowhere, hawks are on the rise. Hawks might well Bradbury this.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back