List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

This is where I have serious reservations about CP. he is 29 years old AND has just been through a near death injury. Hope he bounces back to still be a pretty bloody good player… but is he “in his prime” any more?
I guess there is always an element of unknown about players coming back from such injuries, but I would take the risk. He is one of the premier powerful attacking mids in the comp, and is a threat up forward too. Given he hasn't had much injury history prior to this year, I think he should have good years left

This is where I have serious reservations about CP. he is 29 years old AND has just been through a near death injury. Hope he bounces back to still be a pretty bloody good player… but is he “in his prime” any more?
He will play with more power on his return. He has seen the white light.

Yeah agree, always thought he was stiff stuck behind lever and may and would have played a lot more footy elsewhere. I’m no expert in how good he is one on one, anyone else watched this guy a little closer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He does a reasonable job wherever he has been played on the ground, nothing amazing but I'd say he could do a job one on one.

The question is his knees and if/when is he going to fall off the cliff as a result of them?

Exciting Collingwood small forward Joe Richards’ eagerness to play more senior AFL football could determine whether he remains in black and white next season or takes up an offer from one of three rival clubs, including Port Adelaide.
Richards, 24, has played only nine games since being drafted from Wangaratta in 2022, including last week’s final round win over Melbourne, where he had 19 disposals and kicked a goal in an impressive display.

He has a two-year offer on the table from the Magpies.

Port Adelaide is keen on enticing the forward across the border. This column understands the Power have offered him a three-year contract deal, instead of the reported four year

Richards told Moneyball after the game that he will make a decision on his footy future in the coming weeks, having left all discussions in the hands of his manager John Meeson during the course of the season.

He says Collingwood has been so welcoming and has learnt so much from the likes of Bobby Hill and Jamie Elliott in recent seasons.

But given he is a mature-aged player, he is keen to bed down a regular senior spot in a team that has Hill, Elliott, Lachie Schultz and Beau McCreery among the small/medium forwards.

“I love the place,” Richards said of the Collingwood environment.

“I haven’t delved too much into all that yet (the contract talk), I just wanted to get back into the team first and finish off the year.

“I have left with my manager. I pretty much said I didn’t want to think about it until the end of the season.”

Richards made his AFL debut in round 9 against West Coast, kicking a goal and having 18 disposals.

He played three games in a row before suffering a foot fracture during the club’s draw with Fremantle in Perth.

“It’s been a really good learning year,” Richards said.

“It was really good to see the young guys get a run (in the last round) and do well. All we can do is put our hands up and keep working hard.

“It was good to see Ed Allan getting some reward for his efforts. The coaches backed him in and he showed what he could do.

“There are so many kids coming through. I think the future is pretty bright as we’ve still got a lot of experienced players too.”

Richards worked hard last pre-season on building up his strength and his tank, and plans to keep doing the same over the summer months, after a break in Bali.

The Magpies are keen to keep Richards, with a decision on his future to come in the next week or so.

I have to admit I haven't seen a whole lot of GWS games this year but it's promising to see Peatling has featured in most. Can someone give me a quick run down on how he plays and how he'd fit into the way we play?

Scodog10 I've seen you mention him plenty
I’ve watched Peatling pretty closely this season due to betting purposes so I was stoked to hear that we’re interested in him. This guy is relentless around stoppage and is a tackling machine, constantly applies pressure with big tackle numbers.

He found it hard to break into the GWS best 22 early on in the season/was sub a fair bit which I thought was very stiff. Got his opportunity in the mid once Cogs went down and played very well, so well that he had essentially played himself in the best 22 and got himself a mid spot even when Cogs came back.

He had two huge games late in the season against Melbourne and Brisbane. His clearance game against Brisbane was one of the main reasons GWS got back into that game and ended up winning from behind, he was arguably BOG that game.

He’d be a great addition to our midfield as we are in desperate need of another inside mid and will have far better opportunity than he does at GWS with Green, Cogs, Calla, Kelly and co.
Leeroy’s post hit all the key markers on why I’m a fan. I think he can fill that first possession role well if given the opportunity with the potential to be a high level performer. I haven’t seen enough to confirm or question manicpie and his assessment of Peatling’s pace and I’m not 100% on his ball handling, but I’ll back in the club if they chase him.

What put him on my radar was his last quarter v St Kilda in Rd 5 culminating in the match saving mark. He put his head over it when the game was on the line and he really stood up late season to drive their finals push with the highlight that breakout performance v Melbourne followed up by his BOG match v the Lions (16 coaches votes across those games). His trade cost sits at a similar level to Richards, but it’s that potential ceiling which has it as a “moneyball” type move which I think we need to get back to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds like Joe wants the extra year.

If we can land a future 2nd I would take the deal, If we can't I would offer the extra year.

Gives us some flexibility with our first next year with points for McGuane if we have 2x 2nds

Last edited:
I'd prefer that he makes the right decision for us. :p
Yes yes, we want to be selfish lol But players want to play, so it'll be a matter if he thinks he can get a permanent spot in that forward line.

We might give him some triggers for a third year to get it done.
I suspect Noble’s departure has changed the game. A number of occurrences happened about a month ago HH does his ACL, Jaicos goes behind the ball, Steele starts run withs and we offer Richards a contract. My reading of the tea leaves is Noble announced he was wanting to move on around then and we were in a funk so spun the magnets found that Jaicos behind the ball could work along with Steele’s spike in form all culminating in an attacking wing role opening up.

Under your scenario, MFC will have to cave in and meekly trade Petracca for significant unders.

Now, put yourself in MFC Board and Footy Dept shoes - how do they possibly explain and sell that to their members and supporters? They would all have to tender their resignations.

It ain’t gonna happen. At least one club - I predict Richmond (or Essendon) - will offer two first rounders and Petracca and MFC will agree to it, to bring this sordid affair to an end in a face-saving way.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I see some other scenarios based around IF Petracca insists on being traded to Collingwood.
Melbourne will need to pick the lesser of two evils.
The shitstorm with their members for trading a player for massive unders because we don’t have the picks to appease them.
Or, the shitstorm that will hit their club if Petracca goes public which may be through a grievance tribunal or not.
For all we do know, there may be more damaging scandals within the club that has not leaked out into the public domain.
If so, Melbourne would need to pick their poison. Unders and angry members or more media scrutiny and public fallout.

Can now see why Fly was at the VFL last weekend

Richmond will gaze far and wide for talent to replenish its list, but it will also look into its own backyard at a player nicknamed “Doc’’.
The Tigers are keen on their first-year VFL forward Sam Davidson, who is studying medicine at Monash University.

“Absolutely no doubt they’d take him if they could,’’ one recruiter said of the prospect of Richmond putting the 191cm right-footer in AFL yellow and black.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back