What Trade Happens 1st

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keep Kennedy and use 1st round pick for Aish
In: Danger Treloar Aish not bad midfield depth

How do we trade our first pick for Aish, and end up with Treloar too??
We won't be trading in 2-3-4 or however many established players. It's crazy to even think that we will.

Aish can stay in Brisbane, go to Adelaide, or timbuktoo for all I care. We don't need another skinny guy who is neither tall, nor quick. We have plenty.
We need a Carlisle-esque type though. Remember that we've all but lost Keeffe for the rest of his career. If Brown and/or Cloke went down, we'd be found wanting pretty quickly. And of course Danger can come in as a free agent. No problem at all, come on down, i'll pick him up at the airport, and drive him to the Westpac Centre. And I live in Brisbane. But i'll do it, Patty, whaddayasay??

Buresponse post: 39020495 said:
How do we trade our first pick for Aish, and end up with Treloar too??
We won't be trading in 2-3-4 or however many established players. It's crazy to even think that we will.

Aish can stay in Brisbane, go to Adelaide, or timbuktoo for all I care. We don't need another skinny guy who is neither tall, nor quick. We have plenty.
We need a Carlisle-esque type though. Remember that we've all but lost Keeffe for the rest of his career. If Brown and/or Cloke went down, we'd be found wanting pretty quickly. And of course Danger can come in as a free agent. No problem at all, come on down, i'll pick him up at the airport, and drive him to the Westpac Centre. And I live in Brisbane. But i'll do it, Patty, whaddayasay??
It was in response to something else on page 49

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't open it.... What does it say?

THIS was meant to be the year Geelong dropped off the perch.

With nine 30-year-old players and memories still fresh of three premierships, it seemed only fair that Geelong’s run of eight-straight finals appearances came to an end.

SCROLL DOWN TO SEE WHICH OTHER TWO BIG MELBOURNE CLUBS HAVE A WAR CHEST READY TO SPEND

But in this year’s player exchange period, the Cats have a $1.3 million bombshell move in store to wrench their premiership window back open.

If Adelaide superstar Patrick Dangerfield (estimated $800,000) and Carlton’s Lachie Henderson ($500,000) set up camp down the Geelong coast, as many industry insiders increasingly expect, the Cats will pull off a free agency heist that might be bigger than the “Buddy” Franklin deal.

story-fnp04d70-1227390329237

Geelong has had its contested ball problems in recent years, but Dangerfield equalled the all-time record with 26 of them, playing off the red-hot Nat Fyfe a fortnight ago.

Standing alongside Selwood, Dangerfield could give the Cats the best midfield double act in the game, while Henderson takes over from Rivers in the back half and swings forward.

Surely the Cats would be prepared to hand over a first-round draft pick for a player of Henderson’s quality.

The 25-year-old is not a free agent after spending just six years at Carlton.

LATEST MOVES: DEPARTMENT OF TRADE

How can they afford it? The Cats have leftover cash from their missed attempt to lure ex-Demon James Frawley last year and will save on the possible retirements of Hamish McIntosh, Corey Enright, Rivers and Mathew Stokes, while wildcard Steve Motlop won’t be offered the world to stay. Veteran quartet Steve Johnson, Jimmy Bartel, Andrew Mackie and James Kelly could all be tempted to go again, perhaps sensing the golden opportunity to win a fourth flag.

But Chris Scott’s men are not the only club with a war chest this year. Collingwood and Richmond are eyeing the exchange period ready to add some extra midfield-forward class that would add the lick of cream to their cakes.

Which club is the most advanced, or appealing destination? One veteran list expert said Collingwood, as it had “smartly traded out” players in recent years, building a strong base of young talent.

This year, Collingwood is into Greater Western Sydney prime mover Adam Treloar on a deal reportedly worth up to $750,000 a year, and up-and-down Lion James Aish.

The Tigers would love Giant Dylan Shiel or one of Gold Coast pair Brandon Matera and Dion Prestia.

Swan Daniel Hannebery, who is a top-three Brownlow contender and a free agent next year, could also be sought, along with tough nut Luke Parker. Sydney’s salary cap is “Buddy” tight.

The next three weeks, when the clubs have their byes, is when the contract talks usually heat up.

Richmond list guru Blair Hartley said last November the Tigers would “hopefully have the space to attack the (player) market in the next two or three years”.

He said the club had been “managing the cap to make sure you are in a position to be involved when you need to be, like everybody else”.

Surely, they would ask the question of Dangerfield, too.

Dangerfield’s manager, Paul Connors, said the Crows’ superstar was honouring his commitment to Adelaide.

“It’s not like contract talks are off,” Connors said on Triple M.

“He is playing like a committed person for the Adelaide footy club ... and he will make up his own mind in the second half of the year.”

GOING TO MARKET

Victorian clubs ready to make big plays in this year’s exchange period.

RICHMOND

Premiership zone: Showed against Freo its best footy is capable but 2017-18 looms as the sweet spot.

Dream target: Dylan Shiel is close to re-signing at GWS but need a speedy midfield-forward and Brandon Matera or Steven Motlop would add some goalkicking zest. Daniel Hannebery gettable.

The worry: A disaster if Alex Rance packs it up.

GEELONG

Premiership zone: Any side with Hawkins, Selwood and Taylor can contend immediately with the right support cast.

Dream targets: Patrick Dangerfield would change the dynamic of the Cats’ midfield next season and Lachie Henderson could chase a flag as a dangerous floating tall. Scott Selwood also an option.

The worry: Rhys Stanley has impressed with his athleticism but the ruck needs further strengthening.

COLLINGWOOD

Premiership zone: Magpies have added eight first-round draft picks in the past three years, setting them up for a genuine flag tilt from 2018-19.

Dream target: Giant Adam Treloar is an elite ball-winner who kicks goals. James Aish also in frame.

The worry: Big asterisk alongside Ben Reid’s name after continued soft-tissue problems and SA gun Matthew Scharenberg won’t re-sign yet.

The most interesting thing I find about that Geelong "offer" would surely mean one of hawkins or motlop is goneskies maybe even both. No way they can sign all 4. Hawkins was meant to be signed months ago.

Unless of course I've missed something and he's already signed. In which case I stand corrected

Hope we are not interested in Dangerfield, he will cost us more than he is worth and we will end up like Carlton with the most expensive player on any list and zero premierships. Prefer to gamble on the next super star through the draft. No disrespect towards Judd intended.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back