Toast Collingwood: Why we'll win, why we'll lose

Remove this Banner Ad

Watched game day today and Cam Ling made a very good point. We have a lot of inexperienced finals campaigners compared to Collingwood who will have 20+ who have played in finals. Could be a telling factor over 4 quarters.

Watched game day today and Cam Ling made a very good point. We have a lot of inexperienced finals campaigners compared to Collingwood who will have 20+ who have played in finals. Could be a telling factor over 4 quarters

Call me old fashioned - but this is why I hate actual players appearing as "hosts" or "guest commentators" on footy shows/ games. As another player representing a team also in the finals - he should be avoiding making these sorts of comments about another finals team in my humble old fasioned opinion.

As for the forum question...

I wouldn't be surprised if we are beaten by about 8-10 goals - but I actually believe we have a really good chance at beating the Pies. It just seems to be the way over the past 5 yrs; one team develops a game style superior to all other teams; then another team comes along with a new style, or as in more recent yrs refines the previous teams style and improves it even better. I just think WC are bit like Pies were last yr. Last yr the Cats looked the best team; but Pies were building and started about midseason to look the stronger team and they just kept building before they clearly became best team in the comp. That seems to be WC this season - the team that just keeps gettign stronger each week.

If we are hungry, go out there and hit them hard, and don't get blown away in the first quarter or two we stand an obvious chance.

But i don't see this happening. Last time collingwood were without Jolly and just had Wood playing... all week the media hyped how we could win the game because of cox and Nats dominance blah blah blah...

In the end, we had no advantage. Wood, as far as i am concerned was one of the best on ground that day, both cox and Nat were quite and naturally we got pantsed.

I would love to see shuey just tear it up, tear the game apart and just show the victorians why he is the man.

Love to see it happen but i doubt it. Magpies by 48pts :thumbsdown::(:thumbsdown:

4F03.jpg

A congenital heart defect has stopped his opponent moments before he could enter the ring

This didn't get the respect it deserved :thumbsu:

The West Coast boys will find it very difficult next Saturday but I have no doubt that they will win their home final which may set up a second chance against us.

Half-back Sam Butler made an impressive return against the Crows, and Worsfold expects both key defender Will Schofield (fractured cheekbone) and midfielder Matt Rosa (knee) to be available for selection against the Pies in the first qualifying final.

From Woosh.

Congratulations on your season, I look forward to a game of tough finals football.
Looking at the line up and prediction of poor weather, it might be a game of the small forwards.

Well folks, another home and away season has concluded, although with a remarkably different result from previous seasons*, but the reigning wooden spooners come up against the reigning premiers at their home ground in the first week.

Now that the H & A has finished does that mean 'officially' we are not the reigning wooden spooners anymore? :thumbsu:

I think we can win, but we need to have constant pressure over the 4 quarters. Give them nothing and go hell for leather. We have nothing to lose. Woosh and the boys will be confident.

But i don't see this happening. Last time collingwood were without Jolly and just had Wood playing... all week the media hyped how we could win the game because of cox and Nats dominance blah blah blah...

In the end, we had no advantage. Wood, as far as i am concerned was one of the best on ground that day, both cox and Nat were quite and naturally we got pantsed.

55 hitouts to 23 our way,cox had 20 possessions, wood 14, hardly pantsed, if anything the other way, The problem was they roved to our ruckmen assumimg we would win it and also made better use of their clearances

If we are not overawed and able to take the finals pressure we will get closer than last time. We are a better side than we were earlier in the year and have only been beaten by St Kilda since then.

Daniel kerr must play otherwise we will lack the class in the midfield but it is our ball use to the forwards that must be spot on, isolates their backmen and they can be beaten one on one

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why we'll win:

-Their defence won't contain our forwards

-Our clearance and stoppage work is A1

-Emac is back to play on Cloke - the is the Key.

-Kerr will be unstoppable. Seriously he will have his best game ever for the club. This guy has 3 other gears come finals time.

-Naitanui. Enough said.

-Waters and Butler weren't in the team when we last played them IIRC? (maybe Butler played his first week back after an injury..?)

-Luke Shuey like Kerr will lift a few gears

-We have another attacking/offensive midfielder Masten in our midfield mix, will make a big difference.

Why we will lose:

-The only reason we will lose IMO is if their small/medium players Krak Blair Fasolo Davis have tear us apart and aren't contained. Krak will be the hardest match up. He needs to be held or knocked out by Waters.

[B [/B]

He needs to be held or knocked out by Waters.

the 2nd option!!!
(in a clean and fair way of course)

am feeling a lot more confident this week of us stealing a win..
(with the usual disclaimer that i expect to be smashed!!)..actually i dont think we will get smashed this time around..weve improved outta sight..we may just lose,or we may just win?..its confusing+excitng at the same time. 5 sleeps to go.

we need to bring our A game for 4 quarters and they must slip up around 15% from their normal standard.........as i see it

anyway I am of the view it will be too big a task for our guys, I would be very happy for them to soak it in, give it their all and let things take care of themselves.

Wacky dreams and feeling compelled to tell everyone about them was the given.

Makes me laugh :p

This had me laughing. Get this from the wife all the time. Good call. :D:thumbsu:

Why we can win: We're a good side and we play an attacking, pressuring game that gives us opportunity. Keep it locked in our forward line more often than not, and we're a chance. Need to control the game and not play reactive football.

We we won't win: It's away, it's Collingwood and we're inexperienced (even those with finals experience haven't played a final for 4 years). Even in 05/06 we couldn't beat an average Collingwood side in Melbourne.

Still, stranger things have happened and we're not without a chance in a 2 horse race. Still, as long as we don't get absolutely butt r*ped, it'll be a good effort and a learning experience for the boys. Take it, learn from it, get better from it and win the next week. It's all experience and a chance to build to more flags.

One thing mentioned earlier and a good point is that pies players are very good at reading oppositions ruckman's taps. Apart from half a season from Jolly last year, the Pies havent had a dominant ruckman since Monkhurst

Totally agree and you did it superbly when we met earlier this year.

That is why Naitanui needs to have more game time in the ruck especially in the center square as he has the ability to tap it down the throats of our moving rovers.

I think the midfields will be a lot closer to parity this time. No Thomas and a slightly underdone Wellingham, while Kerr looks like he'll play and Masten finally finding some form

Last time the entries into the forward 50 were pretty close, just need to stop them kicking as many goals (Emac will take care of that, also helps Daisy wont be kicking bananas from 50 on the boundary) and somehow be a bit more efficient ourselves...

On Rosa, surely he can't play. How many weeks has he missed? And for a guy that relies on his run so much a knee injury will have a bit of a negative impact.

Be warned eagles-the pies to be scary!!?

just read an article by ex pies coach at the GCS(?)..warning WCE of malthouse getting the pies up and firing..we know they will be anyway,and that the cats game was an aberration..certainly a dead rubber regardless..
however this coach (forgotten his name-nor have time to pull article up-sorry)
has warned WCE that the pies will be scary from the get-go!!!

we fully expect the usual pies performance-at their best- but scary!!??
given our improvement,in most areas of the game, since the last time we played them-you'd think okay we may lose,but we wont get smashed like last time-that we're a good chance of taking it up to them,and rocking their boat,but an honourable loss it would be..but scary!!??

anyone think theyll step up to an awesome juggernaut level that hasnt been seen yet,and be..... scary!!?
anyone think we'll get smashed..just beaten..or we just win? (i'll be realistic and leave out the option of us smashing them)
anyone else think the pies will be scary!!??
can we conjure up some scariness too!!?
i know the match is covered elsewhere..but just cutting to the chase..
WILL WE..or WONT WE? youre thoughts on who will win, and why...

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Collingwood: Why we'll win, why we'll lose

Remove this Banner Ad

Back