Opinion Commentary & Media VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Can't take the AFL on face value at all.

As if the "in game coaching" isn't directly telling them to pay free kicks/not pay free kicks. As if it is just "positive affirmations" like they are saying.

Umpires react after the event far too often in the AFL, which suggests they are being told to pay free kicks.

As if the "in game coaching" isn't directly telling them to pay free kicks/not pay free kicks. As if it is just "positive affirmations" like they are saying.

Umpires react after the event far too often in the AFL, which suggests they are being told to pay free kicks.
I for one would not believe a word that comes out of that organisation. I've worked in enough corporate environments to have earned the right to be cynical.

Off the ball umpires 50m away in many cases.

Sports entertainment.

The sport is used to deliver profits for those that run it. It is no longer a competition between football clubs.

It’s a for profit business.

Utterly putrid.

So good.

Reminded me of when BT had a radio show in the early 90s and one caller - 'The Turd' would ring up and say nothing but make constipated sound effects. BT would then say, 'thank you turd, thanks for your contribution'.
Brian appears to have learnt a lot from ‘The Turd’ judging by what I’m forced to sit through of a Friday night.

Turns out the real umpire is way off the ball and up on the third level talking into a microphone.
They can't even find 4 decent on field umpires so **** knows what stupidity the ump on the grassy knoll is coming up with.

Brian appears to have learnt a lot from ‘The Turd’ judging by what I’m forced to sit through of a Friday night.

Agreed - back then though he wasn't predictable, formulaic and AFL-sanitised. He just had a small radio show and was candid in his criticism of the AFL and clubs. In relation to 'the turd', he was quite fond of him and didn't try to polish him. In contrast, now he'll fake enthusiasm during boring games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL in damage control mode clearly, currently McBurney is the Minister of Propaganda, i thought his explanation of the new adjustment to holding the ball was bog average at best, i look forward to his denial of the earpiece drama beiing anything of note.
The fact that they think these things are smart and okay and are genuinely surprised when it blows up in their faces should be the most sobering part of it. They have NFI what supporters want from the game.

Imagine how much fun you'd have hacking into the frequency.
"High contact free kick Cripps"

Cripps was on his own..

Umpire pays free to Cripps without flinching. Cripps surveys downfield but all options are covered.

"Interference - Free kick Curnow"

Umpire pays free to Curnow 60 out.

"Player over the mark - 50 metres"

There's nobody on the mark..

Umpire duly blows whistle and takes Curnow to 10 metres out where he goals.

Back to middle. Centre bounce.

"Holding - free kick Davies-Uniacke"

Umpire goes pale and signals to stop game immediately. Calls over other field umpires.

"Boys, we've been hacked".

The fact that they think these things are smart and okay and are genuinely surprised when it blows up in their faces should be the most sobering part of it. They have NFI what supporters want from the game.
Look at the recent survey of fans where 75% preferred the Saturday 1:45 pm timeslot to twilight, but media and tv heavily pushing the other way due to ratings and $$$$$'s, they couldn't care less about the fans.

Look at the recent survey of fans where 75% preferred the Saturday 1:45 pm timeslot to twilight, but media and tv heavily pushing the other way due to ratings and $$$$$'s, they couldn't care less about the fans.
Absolutely love the Saturday arvo timeslot. We had one - the first in, quite close to forever - earlier this year and it was the best. Can do some chores in the morning, grab an early bite, head to the game and still have most of the weekend ahead of you on the way home. Magic.

🤣 I can only imagine how insufferable we’re going to be to the rest of the competition, if we ever become successful again.
If the main board mods hate me now, they have got another thing coming lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back