Opinion Commentary & Media VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Ah yes I too remember it like it was just months ago.

Watched from seats then went to the Victory Room at half-time.

Then without warning we wound the clock back for a 2013 industrial strength grade of bed shitting.
By then i was at the red bluff brewery with the prawns safely tucked away in the engel, and it was all over

From watching other games, I’m still of the opinion that we don’t hold our shape enough. Players like Dumont, Atley, Turner and McMillan were mediocre players - but they knew how to help us keep our shape. We’ve replaced them with slightly more skilful U12 players who chase the ball constantly. An example of how Collingwood keep their shape was shown the other night and the benefits were obvious. The good news, I would think, Clarkson is working on that side of things. However, it’s probably the hardest thing to teach young players.
Sheesh we kept turner for ages and then relisted him. Agree to a point but bigger issue was who we replaced them with. 2nd round drafting was diabolical in that period.

Last edited:
Look at the recent survey of fans where 75% preferred the Saturday 1:45 pm timeslot to twilight, but media and tv heavily pushing the other way due to ratings and $$$$$'s, they couldn't care less about the fans.

Same goes for the media push of a night grand final and midseason trade period.

Same goes for the media push of a night grand final and midseason trade period.
Midseason trade period is idiotic but a night GF is the key. Look at the NRL. Nail it. Our day time shit is awful in comparison. All major sporting finals are at night. Soccer, Tennis, International cups, global sports.. everything. The “Traditional” values are as inept as umpires trying to bounce the ball. Its dumb.

Night GF

Midseason trade period is idiotic but a night GF is the key. Look at the NRL. Nail it. Our day time shit is awful in comparison. All major sporting finals are at night. Soccer, Tennis, International cups, global sports.. everything. The “Traditional” values are as inept as umpires trying to bounce the ball. Its dumb.

Night GF

I reckon a 5pm start for a 8pm ish finish

The GF in Covid started too late to be bothered with post game celebrations

You may well say who cares?

We will care by 2030 when we are regularly appearing

I reckon a 5pm start for a 8pm ish finish

The GF in Covid started too late to be bothered with post game celebrations

You may well say who cares?

We will care by 2030 when we are regularly appearing
What's wrong with the grand final being moved to 4:40 pm on the last Sunday in September?

As long as the public holiday is on the Monday

Anything to see fireworks is good
No fireworks inside the ground. The night of the 125th celebration against Collingwood, one of the pre-game rockets went haywire and aimed itself straight at the seats behind the goal where I was sitting. It struck the concrete in front of the tho blokes who sat beside me and exploded. I got a few minor burns but the other two were burned and had to be treated by medicos. Didn't see them again after that.

Night GF

Strongly disagree. The NRL needs a night grand final for the pregame entertainment because the actual sport is shit. The problem we have in the afl with the pregame show
is because they don’t cater for the fact it’s on a huge oval rather than a small rectangular field.

Honestly though I don’t care about the pregame show. The standard of football is always better during the day rather than at night when it is dewey.

From watching other games, I’m still of the opinion that we don’t hold our shape enough. Players like Dumont, Atley, Turner and McMillan were mediocre players - but they knew how to help us keep our shape. We’ve replaced them with slightly more skilful U12 players who chase the ball constantly. An example of how Collingwood keep their shape was shown the other night and the benefits were obvious. The good news, I would think, Clarkson is working on that side of things. However, it’s probably the hardest thing to teach young players.
That was Brad Scott. He is excellent in building the structure and he did make mediocre players serviceable.

That was Brad Scott. He is excellent in building the structure and he did make mediocre players serviceable.
Yes.. Brad demands professionalism. It’s his greatest coaching strength… and complimented our shinboner fabric.
You may have be an average footballer, but he will make you train, act and follow team rules as the professional footballer you are paid to be

I love it flyhigh 18 . I'd rather they punched or kicked it forward to advantage if they are about to get tackled. I find that pick up, get tackled, flop like dying fish part of footy really boring.
It will take years for our players to learn this.

Teams like Richmond won multiple premierships off the back of punches forward and deft taps to keep the bull churning forward.

Here on North BF, we lose our minds when George or Sheeze do it once or twice a game.

It's an interesting point and something I've been wondering for a while. Is there an opportunity cost of bringing in a new, ever so slightly better player at the expense of delisting a worse player who knows our system?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No fireworks inside the ground. The night of the 125th celebration against Collingwood, one of the pre-game rockets went haywire and aimed itself straight at the seats behind the goal where I was sitting. It struck the concrete in front of the tho blokes who sat beside me and exploded. I got a few minor burns but the other two were burned and had to be treated by medicos. Didn't see them again after that.

It’s 2024 not 1994

Nothing like a great cracker

Harden up

I’m just parroting what Phil Davis said, considering that he was the AFLPA players rep I think it holds weight.

Doesn’t matter if we agree with it, at the moment the players have the clubs over a barrel.

As a supporter I 100% support the idea that clubs should be able to trade players (with the $1M caveat) to whatever club gives the best offer, I just can’t see it happening in the near future. We’re probably going to see it in our lifetime though.
Perhaps a termination bonus (20% of the yearly earnings or percentage of contract) if the clubs are moving players on without their approval.

it means that yes, while players with families will be put out, they will be fairly compensated.

Something has got to give, as the current system f*cks over the small and down-trodden clubs.

Perhaps a termination bonus (20% of the yearly earnings or percentage of contract) if the clubs are moving players on without their approval.

it means that yes, while players with families will be put out, they will be fairly compensated.

Something has got to give, as the current system f*cks over the small and down-trodden clubs.

I think there already is some sort of post career superannuation type deal. Not sure how much or who qualifies etc..

I agree that something has to give though. It’s especially bad when a player claims home sickness and demands a trade but only to one club in the city they come from. It’s really on the nose when they want to come back to Melbourne because of homesickness, but they only want to go to a certain club when there’s 10 Victorian teams.

Strongly disagree. The NRL needs a night grand final for the pregame entertainment because the actual sport is shit. The problem we have in the afl with the pregame show
is because they don’t cater for the fact it’s on a huge oval rather than a small rectangular field.

Honestly though I don’t care about the pregame show. The standard of football is always better during the day rather than at night when it is dewey.
I agree with the bolded. ****en funny assessment of NRL too.

It’s 2024 not 1994

Nothing like a great cracker

Harden up
Drones?

Electronics?

They are cool but these are the equivalent of CGI in action movies.

Years ago we stayed at some small place in Thailand and there were fireworks being sold in the market. Kids were having fun with small crackers, lighting them and throwing them near the feet of unsuspecting adults. My attention drawn, this guy in the market showed me some larger fireworks - these were not just penny bungers. He had a range of explosives packed into clay pots, some as large as 6" flower pots. Anyway, somebody bought one and we all went down to the beach where he buried it in sand, lit the fuse and everybody ran like buggery.

It created a crater almost a metre round and about half a metre deep.

That night as we were trying to get to sleep there were explosions going off randomly and I was somewhat wondering if anybody lost a hand or a foot (or worse).

The club - ideally through Sonja - needs to address Caroline Wilson's article and allegations in the media.

Wilson has joined the list blaming Clarko and the club for not tanking against GC - the AFL should've already scolded these journos for saying clubs should cheat. It hasn't and we should respond now.

Sonja also needs to put to bed Wilson's allegations of disunity and all her magnifying of Clarko's behaviour. Say we knew what we were getting into - he's a 4 x premiership coach but we knew he's not perfect. Swearing in frustration is hardly a hangable offence but we're working with him on it. He's inherited a young list that's being rebuilt. It is frustrating. But he's attracted high quality coaches and other football staff - it will take time.

Can't be silent on this. The club needs to come out unified.

The club - ideally through Sonja - needs to address Caroline Wilson's article and allegations in the media.

Wilson has joined the list blaming Clarko and the club for not tanking against GC - the AFL should've already scolded these journos for saying clubs should cheat. It hasn't and we should respond now.

Sonja also needs to put to bed Wilson's allegations of disunity and all her magnifying of Clarko's behaviour. Say we knew what we were getting into - he's a 4 x premiership coach but we knew he's not perfect. Swearing in frustration is hardly a hangable offence but we're working with him on it. He's inherited a young list that's being rebuilt. It is frustrating. But he's attracted high quality coaches and other football staff - it will take time.

Can't be silent on this. The club needs to come out unified.
Can’t disagree more. Nothing puts this to bed except improved performance onfield. Any media response now just elevates a story that’s already going away. A Caroline Wilson article criticising North is the definition of white noise, no one pays attention any more.

People like Wilson exist to generate engagement with hot takes. Trying to convince them otherwise is pointless because it only serves to give them want they want and validate their position. The best way to shut people like that up is to start performing better as a club, which I assume Sonja knows.

Can’t disagree more. Nothing puts this to bed except improved performance onfield. Any media response now just elevates a story that’s already going away. A Caroline Wilson article criticising North is the definition of white noise, no one pays attention any more.
I understand we all support Clarko and can’t wait to start winning and have muppets like Caro and Xander to be put in their boxes.
Until then, the best response to garbage articles like this is to ignore them… the silent treatment is very effective, don’t give them an inch

This story is the continuation of a long term destabilising campaign from Wilson and a handful of other journos harbouring grudges against Clarko and North. It's not going away and they all have platforms on TV and radio.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Commentary & Media VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Back