Opinion Commentary & Media VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know how many times it needs to be repeated but CCJ and his manager refused to exercise the pre-season draft. Now, we could have told him that if he wanted to come to North, it was PSD or stay where you are, and almost certainly he would have chosen to stay at Richmond. In hindsight, that would have been a better outcome for us, but for posters to keep regurgitating the fallacy that we had PSD as an option in that trade is just so tiresome.
FFS I was making the point that were it accepted, as it should be, that the Pre Season draft was a viable tool for lower clubs to attract talent without using draft capital, then we could have acquired those players without using the capital.

I’m not sure why people are so quick to lose their breakfast about the CCJ thing.

And note I also stated I don’t understand why players coming to their new club aren’t more loyal to the new club by being ruthless and preserving draft assets - which was direct recognition of CCJ’s stance.

View attachment 2006031

Take me back to those five minutes where I genuinely believed we were about to go bang.
I remember it well, was listening on the radio on way to lake tyers and had stopped into luckes fresh seafood in bairnsdale to get some fresh lakes entrance prawns. i was excited firstly because of the scoreline, and 2ndly as the wife had already rang forward and we knew that Luckes had fresh prawns in stock.

I remember it well, was listening on the radio on way to lake tyers and had stopped into luckes fresh seafood in bairnsdale to get some fresh lakes entrance prawns. i was excited firstly because of the scoreline, and 2ndly as the wife had already rang forward and we knew that Luckes had fresh prawns in stock.
Ah yes I too remember it like it was just months ago.

Watched from seats then went to the Victory Room at half-time.

Then without warning we wound the clock back for a 2013 industrial strength grade of bed shitting.

Ah yes I too remember it like it was just months ago.

Watched from seats then went to the Victory Room at half-time.

Then without warning we wound the clock back for a 2013 industrial strength grade of bed shitting.
🤣 I dream of 2013 at this stage…

Back then it was dreaming of games that got away.

Now it's dreaming about inside 50s that got away.
Since 2021 (not including 2020 with the shorter quarters but presume we didn't then anyway) we have scored over 100 in one game... that is 3.5 years worth of games. That one games was against a Gold Coast side that was at about 50% effort.
I have no issues with us winning that Gold Coast game but the fact we haven't been able to score 100 in 3.5 years except against a side who gave no ****s says alot about why we can't win games. Don't get the ball forward enough and on the rare occasions that we do we can't kick a winning score.

This is brilliant. The Mad Monday stories are great
Hey Guys,
This podcast is a ripper, especially the story about Mick. I also watched the episode with Jordan Lewis, even though I was having flashbacks of him clocking Goldie, and found his description of Clarko and how he coached interesting. Also the 'competitiveness' of their leaders on the ground and the fact that getting Brian Lake set them up for a flag in 08. Worth a listen.

I also watched the episode with Jordan Lewis, even though I was having flashbacks of him clocking Goldie, and found his description of Clarko and how he coached interesting. Also the 'competitiveness' of their leaders on the ground
That ruthless edge is severely missing at North, especially amongst the leaders. Jy has shown some of it, but probably more in the form of ill discipline as opposed to pure 100% competitive effort. I think Chom has it. Sheez has it and in him it's under control. Wardlaw has it in buckets full.

Since 2021 (not including 2020 with the shorter quarters but presume we didn't then anyway) we have scored over 100 in one game... that is 3.5 years worth of games. That one games was against a Gold Coast side that was at about 50% effort.
I have no issues with us winning that Gold Coast game but the fact we haven't been able to score 100 in 3.5 years except against a side who gave no ****s says alot about why we can't win games. Don't get the ball forward enough and on the rare occasions that we do we can't kick a winning score.
It is horrible, indeed. There was one other game against Carlton in R19, 2021 where we cracked the ton.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not enough inside 50's and of those inside 50's too many of them are dogshit and come rebounding right out. Forward line is underperforming, but some of that blame lies on the blokes kicking it into the F50 and not defending around the arc well enough in order to get repeat entries.

Not that they're our only issues, but still, I just think that we have a lot of upside with our forwardline much like we have had with our midfield this year. Engine room has been better recently, so I hold out hope the forwards start pulling their weight too (note to Larkey, this does not mean throwing yourself past the ball and into the turf looking for a free).

Not enough inside 50's and of those inside 50's too many of them are dogshit and come rebounding right out. Forward line is underperforming, but some of that blame lies on the blokes kicking it into the F50 and not defending around the arc well enough in order to get repeat entries.

Not that they're our only issues, but still, I just think that we have a lot of upside with our forwardline much like we have had with our midfield this year. Engine room has been better recently, so I hold out hope the forwards start pulling their weight too (note to Larkey, this does not mean throwing yourself past the ball and into the turf looking for a free).
Yep. Midfield has been shit this season and our skills in general are poor and probably even worse when we go inside 50.

The other issue is forward pressure which forces turnovers on sides exiting out 50. We don’t have it.

Clubs have figured him out as a danger circa 2023

Until he gets another danger down there to take the focus off him we will continue to be impotent

🤣 I dream of 2013 at this stage…

Sad isn’t it…Friday night games, rushing down to get there…parking tickets from crap car parks…listening to Finey for the post game analysis…annoyed at Wallan because nothing is open…didn’t know how good I had it.

Yep. Midfield has been shit this season and our skills in general are poor and probably even worse when we go inside 50.

The other issue is forward pressure which forces turnovers on sides exiting out 50. We don’t have it.
From watching other games, I’m still of the opinion that we don’t hold our shape enough. Players like Dumont, Atley, Turner and McMillan were mediocre players - but they knew how to help us keep our shape. We’ve replaced them with slightly more skilful U12 players who chase the ball constantly. An example of how Collingwood keep their shape was shown the other night and the benefits were obvious. The good news, I would think, Clarkson is working on that side of things. However, it’s probably the hardest thing to teach young players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back