Opinion Commentary & Media VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Thats a joke. Harley isn’t a dirty player for doing what he did. Soft as butter. Laura Kane, Gil, Adrian Anderson, Dillon, umpre bosses, the lot of em and more should be sacked for bringing the game into disrepute
Funny how most of that lot are of the legal fraternity.

Legislating against accidents a big KPI I’m sure.
Lawyers and members of the bar. All blood sucking cocksuvkers
Said it numerous times, the moment the game started to be run by lawyers, is the moment it ceased to be a proper sporting competition.

When concussion-f^cked players start suing their former clubs for millions of dollars, we will be thanking our lucky stars that the lawyers stepped in when they did to mitigate the damage.

When concussion-f^cked players start suing their former clubs for millions of dollars, we will be thanking our lucky stars that the lawyers stepped in when they did to mitigate the damage.
And this is what’s wrong with the world. It’s all about arse covering. No one wants to be responsible for their own decisions anymore.

It’s a contact sport. You know the risks associated with these sports. You get paid shitloads to play.

If you don’t want to run the risk, don’t play it. Go and get a real job. Go and apply to the emergency services who have greater risk, and get 500% less in wages.

Last edited:

And this is what’s wrong with the world. It’s all about arse covering. No one wants to be responsible for their own decisions anymore.

It’s a contact sport. You know the risks associated with these sports. You get paid shitloads to play.

If you don’t want to run the risk, don’t play it. Go and get a real job. Go and apply to the emergency services who have greater risk, and get 500% less in wages.

Okay, so you can explain it to the family of a brain-damaged ex-footballer who has just topped himself. Or if he decides to kill one of them first. I suppose they got the benefit of him being paid shitloads so they can hardly complain about being dead ahead of their time.

Okay, so you can explain it to the family of a brain-damaged ex-footballer who has just topped himself. Or if he decides to kill one of them first. I suppose they got the benefit of him being paid shitloads so they can hardly complain about being dead ahead of their time.
They bought their ticket.

They knew what they’re getting in to.

No one forces them to play footy.

They bought their ticket.

They knew what they’re getting in to.

No one forces them to play footy.
You could say the same of any job. We still expect all of them to be made as safe as possible.

I've had a lot to say about Kingy over the years, but he has been very good in sticking it to our detractors. He used to shy away from being biased towards North, but he's happy to fly the flag for us these days. I really enjoy it.
Check out Kingy's interview on Schofield's podcast if you haven't already.

A lot of North fans had reservations about Paul Roos being involved with anything North at the time he was brought in. May as well have asked Figjam.

True.

But he does know what it's like to win 45 games over 9 gruelling years.

We're a bit off that.

Regardless of who’s better or worse, he played for a club that didn’t win double figure games from his age 19 to 27 seasons. To rub salt in there was a little “false dawn” of a couple of 8 win seasons, then a plummet back to the abyss.

He’s certainly experienced how a club can get into the shit and eventually extract themselves.

True.

But he does know what it's like to win 45 games over 9 gruelling years.

We're a bit off that.
We need to win 33 games in the next 4.5 years just to match that…

It needs to be accepted that we are rungs below how putrid they were.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its pox. Embarrassing. Community standards? **** community standards, its Aussie rules footy. Its never been a game of community standards over the white line. Once the siren goes at the end of the game, then its about community standards
The rulings have changed a lot, over a long period of time. Community standards have also changed a lot, over along period of time.

The biggest change over that period is how the AFL treats racism, sexism, and head high contact, and general head injuries from contact. It has not been a fixed line, but its always been changing.

The rulings have changed a lot, over a long period of time. Community standards have also changed a lot, over along period of time.

The biggest change over that period is how the AFL treats racism, sexism, and head high contact, and general head injuries from contact. It has not been a fixed line, but its always been changing.

Presumably, we are all comfortable with the fact that even after crossing the white line, players shouldn't be racist campaigners. I mean, it's okay for that community standard to be upheld, right?

Our game has a set of values and behaviours. It can be seperate from what the “community” expects

I'm actually not completely against the idea of a waiver for the highest league when it comes to certain head high contact and rules. I am completely against it though when a rookie salary is 3/5ths of **** all and for only a year. Interesting discussion to have at any rate, there's a lot of separate issues at play.

I'm actually not completely against the idea of a waiver for the highest league when it comes to certain head high contact and rules. I am completely against it though when a rookie salary is 3/5ths of **** all and for only a year. Interesting discussion to have at any rate, there's a lot of separate issues at play.
So bring back a match day payment then? Rookies are unlikely to have huge AFL careers. Majority of their footy is in the VFL/lower league where by these rules should be mandated.

On another note.. Ive hit my head harder on a night out on the piss…

Bombers further distance themselves from Tarryn Thomas after Brad Scott comments​

Brad Scott’s comments about Tarryn Thomas caused a stir among the AFL community, and questions from some Essendon members prompted an email response from the club to clarify its position. READ THE EMAIL HERE.
Sam Landsberger

2 min read
June 5, 2024 - 6:42PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
AFL
Don't miss out on the headlines from AFL. Followed categories will be added to My News.
Follow
Essendon moved to further distance itself from Tarryn Thomas in a letter to some of its members after coach Brad Scott described the sacked footballer as a “good person” back on May 1.
Thomas, 24, was charged on May 21 for allegedly harassing his former partner. He was bailed to appear at the Broadmeadows Magistrates’ Court on November 21.
Scott said he hoped the football industry could support and help Thomas. The Bombers received strong feedback from a handful of their members regarding Scott’s comments. The club signed off on an email reassuring them that they were not looking to recruit Thomas and clarifying the club’s position.
Thomas was let go by the Roos earlier this year. (Photo by Steve Bell/Getty Images)

Thomas was let go by the Roos earlier this year. (Photo by Steve Bell/Getty Images)
“Tarryn’s conduct does not represent behaviours acceptable to anyone in our game or our community,” the email said.
“No one at Essendon condones Tarryn’s behaviour and there is no excuse for the behaviour or the hurt he caused.
“The narrative created in recent days linking Tarryn Thomas to Essendon is inaccurate.
“Importantly, you can be assured that when questioned, Brad was not discussing Tarryn from an EFC list management (or) recruiting perspective.
“Whilst in past years, Essendon (like several other AFL clubs) have discussed Tarryn at list management level, this is not something Essendon has or are currently considering.
“Brad (Scott) is a man of great integrity, with a strong moral compass and longstanding admirable values which include respect, particularly towards women.
“However, Brad’s job as a coach, was and is, the support of his players (past and present) wherever possible.
“This does not include accepting intolerable behaviour or defending the indefensible – this was not Brad’s intentions yesterday when discussing Tarryn and rest assured, he does not condone Tarryn’s behaviour in any way.”
The email was only sent to the handful of members who had contacted the club.
Scott has known Thomas since he was 14 and coached him at North Melbourne in 2019.
“People will make mistakes and as a leader, a coach and a parent the responsibility is to have people learn from those mistakes. In Tarryn’s case, my view is one of support,” Scott said on May 1.
Bombers coach Brad Scott coached Thomas at the Roos. (Photo by Russell Freeman/AFL Photos via Getty Images)

Bombers coach Brad Scott coached Thomas at the Roos. (Photo by Russell Freeman/AFL Photos via Getty Images)
“Has he made some terrible mistakes? Yes he has, and he’s the first to admit that.
“I can’t speak to what’s happened in the last couple of years in relation to Tarryn, I haven’t been privy to all the information.
“But I just tend to think that people make mistakes. If you keep making the same mistake, there’s an issue, but as leaders we expect young people to make mistakes.
“So, as an industry, do we just wash our hands and say we’re done with him or do we help him? I prefer to sit in the help camp.”
Thomas cannot train or play at any level without AFL approval even after his 18-match suspension expires.
“Please note that the AFL will specifically not permit Mr Thomas to join the list of any AFL club pending the hearing and determination of the charges that have now been brought against him and subject to the outcome of those proceedings,” the AFL said after Thomas was charged.
“More broadly, it is the AFL’s intent that Mr Thomas will not be approved to play at any level of Australian football pending the hearing and determination of the charges that have now been brought against him and subject to the outcome of those proceedings.
“The AFL will continue to monitor the police proceedings.”

What the actual **** we’re they trying to accomplish?

‘Rabble rabble….Bard… Integrity…blah blah … not open, but not closed either… rabble rabble…other clubs also considered him….blah blah Scott good person.’

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Commentary & Media VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Back