News Confirmed: Scully to GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Loosing a player is one thing, but loosing a football club like Fitzroy is another. If you think the two are about the same loss then you are insane

I am not saying it's the same but the principle is similar. Your club is being formed at another club's loss. I don't see this is a good result for football at all, not for the heart and soul supporters, and especially not for supporters of a 150 year old club who set about a rebuild with scully to be a massive part of it.

I just don't see a move to an expansion club being a young man's game, especially when you're drafting similar aged kids. He will shoulder a huge workload very early on, he wasn't able to do all this at Melbourne (especially with knee, which is a result of over training)

So now he's a good player? What's with you Melbourne fans. Good-Bad-Good-Bad-Good-Bad. Can't have it both ways. He is one or the other

Quite clearly, we have more than one supporter. He didn't go number one without being any good. However, Melbourne hasn't seen much of it yet. Obviously, he's expected to be very very good.

Funny how Melbourne fans views of Scully as a player have instantly changed. One day he is the next superstar of the game, the next he is crappy player who can't kick who should have never have been drafted and is about to have both legs amputated because of his knees.

You would think you'd know better then to see one or two posts and associate those opinions with the whole Melbourne supporter base wouldn't you?

I am not saying it's the same but the principle is similar. Your club is being formed at another club's loss. I don't see this is a good result for football at all, not for the heart and soul supporters, and especially not for supporters of a 150 year old club who set about a rebuild with scully to be a massive part of it.

I just don't see a move to an expansion club being a young man's game, especially when you're drafting similar aged kids. He will shoulder a huge workload very early on, he wasn't able to do all this at Melbourne (especially with knee, which is a result of over training)

Same can be said about every other new club that has started out in history. It just happened that it was Melbourne who lost a really good player this time. This stuff will happen again and the Giants will probaley loose a player or 2 to new expansion clubs in x amount of years. But that's life. You win some and you loose some.

Loosing a player from a club is like a small cut.
Loosing a football club is like death.
Yes you both have lost something. But people loose players all the time. You're not the firts club to loose a player to another club.

From the HUN on Schwab:
"He added the Demons had overcome numerous setbacks in recent years and would get through this one."
Really? Being tipped to get in the 8 and failing, getting embarrassed in Geelong, knee-jerk coach sacking. Sure looks like you're getting over those setbacks.

Who tipped us to make the 8?

You?

If so you are a terrible judge of football.

Oh, you mean the media!!

They are terrible judges of football.

This year has been a setback, that's what he meant. And if can't bother to find out the recent history of the MFC don't try and pass judgment on what this board has achieved.

You would think you'd know better then to see one or two posts and associate those opinions with the whole Melbourne supporter base wouldn't you?

It was a generalisation. There are rationale supporters out there

But interesting thread on your board for Melbourne fans only tho. Would say there are alot more than just one or two posts saying that Tom is a horrible player and how it was a good thing that he is going.

I'm getting pretty annoyed at hearing the CEO and new signings whinging about how "hard it's been for them" to make the decision to sign. How about how hard it is for the clubs that lose these players? no? Oh that's right, the GWS signings are selfish money chasers that think that everything is about them and them only. Good luck with your team guys, you'll find out pretty quickly why it's not good having disloyal money chasers leading your team.

I don't think anyone realised how crazy the 2 year window for uncontracted players would be.

You can only applaud the GWS plan, as it seems they are selecting babies and 1 year dinosaurs this year, and next year you will probably see established players being signed.

By going this way the first year of these babies long term contracts will be huge (probs over 2 million for Scully) and the 1 year players will get decent pay with the promise of high paying coaching roles in 2013, with the decrease in pay in 2013 of the babies and the retirements of the dinosaurs, they will be able to pay rediculous overs for establised players.

Relatively competitive next year 3 or 4 wins, very competitive 2013!

tadhg kennell, chad cornes
Luke Power, Dean Brogan
Leigh Brown, Cam Mooney

It wouldn't surprise me if 5 of the above all got 1 year playing contracts. As if i were GWS i would have told any aged champion to make sure they announce the retirement early so they can get 1 of the 10 spots available, on a great wicket, with the guarantee of a coaching position.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would be interested in knowing hows GWS actually retain it's young starts in the next 3 to 5 years

$6m over 6 years is a huge amount of coin out of your cap to pay a small bodied mid and with so many early picks in this years draft who will want to be paid market rate when they come out of contract I just see some real retension challenges ahead especially considering the GWS cap will come back into line with other clubs

Don't get me wrong, congrats to GWS and Scully however such a large contract does not come without enormous risk and knock on challenges

Front loaded contract. The majority gets paid out in the first 2-3 years.

Lets them take advantage of the big salary cap boost they recieve early (and remember 70% of thier playing list are one base wages for the first 2 years, so they have a lot of spare room... a LOT).

Also provides an incentive for players thinking of leaving. Better getting the bulk of the money early in the contract (and sinking it into property and other investments) than at the end.

Hypothetically, getting 2 million of the contract 'up front' would be akin to winning the lottery, and a lot better than having it trickle in over the space of a few years. Investing 1.5 million of it would net him around 4-5 properties, fully paid for. Not a bad investment portfolio for a 20 year old. There is a guaranteed Net rental income of over 1500 per week for the rest of his life, not even counting the increasing equity in the property value just from the first year of the deal.

Its basically 'set yourself up for life' stuff.

You would have to be mad to say no.

Congrats Scully Top bloke i remember when i was in Haileybury cooking with him so young and already gone so far. How much would a vic metro played by Scully is worth?

I'm not going to congratulate you, but well done on getting a good young kid.

However, next year will be tough - very tough.

Get ready for a rivalry

Not sure if you have any fans, or if you watch the wire....if so you'll know what I mean when I say "nicely done". See you at the football.

Congrats Scully Top bloke i remember when i was in Haileybury cooking with him so young and already gone so far. How much would a vic metro played by Scully is worth?

He lied all year to our gravely ill club president who also happens to be of the nicest guys you will ever meet and who has dedicated his life to helpng underpriveleged kids..

Such a top bloke Scully is.

Congrats on getting Scully, he will no doubt be a champion for your side, BTW give Melbourne as little as possible as they Tanked to get him in the first place and were quite happy to rape Freo when thay took White off them.

White was a trade. Much different to compensation. Apologies for getting a good deal, happens alot. Welcome to footy GWS, your players will be targeted soon enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Confirmed: Scully to GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back