Congratulations Chris McDermott

Remove this Banner Ad

Replace Roo on the board with Bone

I know he’s put out some pretty poor takes in recent years, but it’d at least be good to get some fresh ideas (opposite of Roo’s) into the club after a fckn decade

I am off the belief that every decision maker within a club needs to be turned over relatively often. The club needs to refresh itself periodically. When you stay too long, poor cultures and standards can creep in. Adelaide over the last 2 decades have definitely started to have jobs for life type attitudes amongst the decision makers.

Another fine sanfl/wafl player who is criminally under rated by the vfl/afl not counting the sanfl/wafl games.

Commentators fawning over pendles and boomer games record, and tucky of course; when Craig Bradley 375 games at Carlton plus 101 at port Adelaide (plus state games and Australia games) should be head and shoulders numero uno but is never acknowledged.

Bones 277 plus 113 at the crows and 15 state games would have him on the leaderboard.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Before we jump on board the McDermott to rescue Crows, cast your mind to the crappy opinions he used to come up with in his articles and on 5AA.

He was friggin clueless and would be just another past champion with shit for brains at the club. Roo has done enough damage, we need someone who has had nothing to do with the club. I’d pay Bartel what ever it took to get him here.

I’ve also seen McDermott out pissed back in the day and he was arrogant dockwad.
I second this

Replace Roo on the board with Bone

I know he’s put out some pretty poor takes in recent years, but it’d at least be good to get some fresh ideas (opposite of Roo’s) into the club after a fckn decade
It would be easy to write off George’s comments as petty jealously, but he’s right. Bone is not the man for the job here.

Said some very interesting things about what’s happening with the club currently, someone can probably summarize better than me.

Couple of quick things he said when asked about it:
It’s very a very unhealthy and divided footy club atm
Says it’s not all about one guy (Nicks), needs to be unity between coach, CEO, chairman and captain
Is fearful for the future of Nicks as coach though

That's interesting though. Nix is really the only link between all those roles. Surely the captain doesn't have much/any need to engage with the CEO or Chairperson on football matters. And from what we're hearing, Nix has the full support of the CEO and Chairperson. So the only plausible issue would be between Captain and Nix. Unless the CEO & Chairperson have it in for the Captain and Nix is having to manage that, but surely that's not on the table as being realistic.

What's the likelihood he gets through the nominations committee? And even if he did, you can bet that the club would throw up the next Jamo that they've invited into the fold.
It really says a lot about our club that many of our past players want nothing to do with us.

Unless you're part of the Peter Hurley clique, then it always seems to go sour.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Almost got into a fight with Chris one night back about 1992 at Circuit Sports Bar on East Tce. I was being mouthy to him and in his face too much after they came in after a loss that night. Couple of teammates had to restrain him.

Well I say fight...more than likely I almost got knocked out.

Fun memories...

The guy was such a hardnut. Sorry Chris...poor form from a young lad at the time.

I posted this a few years ago. Old mate of mine, stoner bass guitarist had those old style movie star good looks but with a broken nose that stood out. Asked him how it came about and turns out it was Bone. He was at a party and Bone said something inappropriate to one of my mates' GF. Dave challenged him over it and Bone asked if he wanted to take it outside. So out they went and one punch later my mate had his broken nose and the fight was over.

Before we jump on board the McDermott to rescue Crows, cast your mind to the crappy opinions he used to come up with in his articles and on 5AA.

He was friggin clueless and would be just another past champion with shit for brains at the club. Roo has done enough damage, we need someone who has had nothing to do with the club. I’d pay Bartel what ever it took to get him here.

I’ve also seen McDermott out pissed back in the day and he was arrogant dockwad.
There's a real "broken clock is right twice a day" vibe with him.

PLAYING RECORD
277 games and 184 goals for Glenelg, 1981 – 1990
117 games and 31 goals for Adelaide, 1991 – 1996
10 games for North Adelaide 1997
Captain of Glenelg 1989-1990
Inaugural Captain of Adelaide 1991-1994
Member of Glenelg premiership teams 1985 & 1986
GAMES FOR SOUTH AUSTRALIA
15 – Captain of South Australia, 7 years

:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

I guess after reading that article on Saturday about the club, it really gives vibes of the hierarchy believing they are more important than the club.

Which is generally what non elected people think

This in a nutshell. The biggest priority for those who reach that sort of station in life is to retain that station and all the trappings that come with it.

Selfless is not on their CVs.

We don’t want McDermott anywhere near the club. I certainly haven’t forgotten the undeserved sprays he gave the club after he was sacked - and these were in our better performing years.

Last edited:
That's interesting though. Nix is really the only link between all those roles. Surely the captain doesn't have much/any need to engage with the CEO or Chairperson on football matters. And from what we're hearing, Nix has the full support of the CEO and Chairperson. So the only plausible issue would be between Captain and Nix. Unless the CEO & Chairperson have it in for the Captain and Nix is having to manage that, but surely that's not on the table as being realistic.
Just imagine Dawson coming from a well run club like Sydney with a coach like Longmire and then coming to the AFC and having Nicks as your coach.

And then after getting sick of playing deep in defence, you have to tell your coach that you think you are more valuable to the team in the midfield.

I could see why Dawson and Nicks don't see eye to eye

Just imagine Dawson coming from a well run club like Sydney with a coach like Longmire and then coming to the AFC and having Nicks as your coach.

And then after getting sick of playing deep in defence, you have to tell your coach that you think you are more valuable to the team in the midfield.

I could see why Dawson and Nicks don't see eye to eye
I only think Ned and Murph love Nicks.

We don’t want McDermott anywhere near the club. I certainly haven’t forgotten the undeserved sprays he gave the club after he was sacked - and these were in our better performing years.
This. I believe he also refused to attend Club Championship dinners for years afterwards. Not sure if he has ever attended one since he left.

Funny when I think of Bone I always think of watching the 1993 Elimination Final win over Hawthorn on VHS way too many times and all through that game’s coverage the late Drew Morphett continually crossing to the live scenes at “Chris McDermott’s Pub”.

He certainly used that ‘SA player retention scheme’ money to get his foot into the Adelaide hospitality scene at the time. 🪐

Love the footage of him playing. Only been watching from 2010, who is the best comparison from a modern player to him?
Would say a mixture of Tom Liberatore and prime Matt Crouch, his best football was easily with Glenelg & SA in the 80s and that’s what justifiably gets him into the HoF, had one very good year in the AFL in 1992 & the rest were pretty much serviceable.

Watch any of his game footage & it confirms like my Glenelg loving father always said there’s never been a player who put their head in the hole for the ground ball contest without fear more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Congratulations Chris McDermott

Remove this Banner Ad

Back