Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure what you're saying.

The commission is the biggest, most powerful entity involved (in terms of this decision, obviously Tas government is bigger in a more general sense).

I also think that, assuming they've made their decision, they will be working behind the scenes to 'influence' the clubs (and media) to see things their way.

It's a big part of why I think it is likely to happen.

I am questioning the role of the individual Commissioners ?

Really?
I hate Marvel I reckon the atmosphere sucks.

Especially on a gorgeous sunny day and you're stuck in a cement block with no vitamin D just ultra-bright billboards advertising betting companies, it sucks arse.

edit whoops i responded to an old post sorry :'/
The roof is the main sticking point. Could do a standard 25k stadium for $400m easy, even by the water.

The tas government has come out today and asked for a firm date for an AFL vote. I hope the AFL will give a date although I think it may be difficult because they would be unsure themselves.

Club presidents are there to represent the best interests of their football club. The view of their members might be a factor in that, but just one of many. In part this is because the president will know more than the ordinary members about both the club, and the bid, so will be able to make a more informed decision.

This is exactly what I've been saying.

I lean towards the view that it will be presented, and that if it is, it will inevitably result in a yes, but if the numbers aren't there, it'll get shelved rather than voted down.
Will 99% come down to what the afl want I wouldn’t take much notice of what Gill said about majority of clubs. From a number of reports there were a number of clubs not overly keen on the suns at the time but were more or less told buy the afl it was happening so they might as well support it

It's interesting they say they can convert the 90000 members of other clubs into Tassie members. I think if we can get 20000 Tassie members in the first season that would be a pass mark.

I'm still somewhat incredulous about that oft quoted number of 90k.

Anyway, if the attraction to the JJ's can be replicated in anyway then 20k should be a shoe in. Maybe 30k even?

Getting memberships & the money in is key. Getting all those bottoms on seats would be fantastic. ;

Maybe we'll need 30k stadiums to suit.?

The MSO for JJ's Basketball holds 4800. Its way over subscribed by people wanting to go. They sold out memberships in mere minutes! That surprised the NBL people.

It'd be nice to multiply that sort of interest to Football!!

I'm still somewhat incredulous about that oft quoted number of 90k.

Anyway, if the attraction to the JJ's can be replicated in anyway then 20k should be a shoe in. Maybe 30k even?

Getting memberships & the money in is key. Getting all those bottoms on seats would be fantastic. ;

Maybe we'll need 30k stadiums to suit.?

The MSO for JJ's Basketball holds 4800. Its way over subscribed by people wanting to go. They sold out memberships in mere minutes! That surprised the NBL people.

It'd be nice to multiply that sort of interest to Football!!
90k is a Furphy. Hawks are the biggest due to playing games there at 9k. Think Tiges were next 4K - 5k? Would be 50k tops.
Regardless, the key is not to have the stadium too big. 25k in each city would mean enough sellouts that you will need to buy memberships to get seats. Have Hobart memberships OR Launceston memberships. Otherwise you will have fans missing games and leaving empty seats. If they do it that way I reckon 40k members season one.

Last edited:
90k is a Furphy. Hawks are the biggest due to playing games there at 9k. Think Tiges were next 4K - 5k? Would be 50k tops.
Regardless, the key is not to have the stadium too big. 25k in each city would mean enough sellouts that you will need to buy memberships to get seats. Have Hobart memberships OR Launceston memberships. Otherwise you will have fans missing games and leaving empty seats. If they do it that way I reckon 40k members season one.
I think 40000 would definitely make a big impression on the AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think having games in Hobart & Launceston which probably means teams will play in each place about every 2 or 3 years.

Thats great for footy tourists. A\

If its say 27k stadium with 20k locals & 3-4k visitors, its near enough to full most games. (maybe not for GC or GWS!!)

I think having games in Hobart & Launceston which probably means teams will play in each place about every 2 or 3 years.

Thats great for footy tourists. A\

If its say 27k stadium with 20k locals & 3-4k visitors, its near enough to full most games. (maybe not for GC or GWS!!)
I think we still are unlikely to get the big teams often,Geelong doesn't get the biggest teams very often.

I think we still are unlikely to get the big teams often,Geelong doesn't get the biggest teams very often.

What? GC & GWS have home games against all teams. Geelong is a short drive from the MCG, not a plane flight away.

The Fixture depends to some extent on where teams finish on the ladder the previous year.

Which ever way it is, we'll play all teams in Tasmania at some stage.

Fingers crossed. ;)

What? GC & GWS have home games against all teams. Geelong is a short drive from the MCG, not a plane flight away.

The Fixture depends to some extent on where teams finish on the ladder the previous year.

Which ever way it is, we'll play all teams in Tasmania at some stage.

Fingers crossed. ;)
Well I hope you are right because it would be great to see.

I'm quite certain the AFL's original plan was for the licence to be awarded in the football-news-lite bye week. With the broadcast deal still not done, this has been pushed back.

My guess is that the AFL will leave the "decision" on Tasmania until either grand final week or after the season has concluded.

We'd have to.
Otherwise games against bigger teams would be mostly away games. I know the AFL fixture isn't always equitable but they won't be able to pick and choose who Tassie play at home to that extent.

We'd have to.
Otherwise games against bigger teams would be mostly away games. I know the AFL fixture isn't always equitable but they won't be able to pick and choose who Tassie play at home to that extent.

prepare for a lot of games against non victorian opposition. Thats 6 games a year. Then 5 against whatever teams they think wont draw in Melbourne.

I'm quite certain the AFL's original plan was for the licence to be awarded in the football-news-lite bye week. With the broadcast deal still not done, this has been pushed back.

My guess is that the AFL will leave the "decision" on Tasmania until either grand final week or after the season has concluded.
I certainly hope not because it has already been such a hard weight although nothing would surprise me when it comes to the AFL.

My guess is that the AFL will leave the "decision" on Tasmania until either grand final week or after the season has concluded. I think you're right.
I think you're right.
I reckon they expected broadcast deal to be finalised by now but there's been a few bumps in the road.
I think they want all their ducks in a row before announcing what's happening with Tassie.

prepare for a lot of games against non victorian opposition. Thats 6 games a year. Then 5 against whatever teams they think wont draw in Melbourne.
Maybe initially but over time that will balance out to bigger teams I reckon.

Rubbish we will be no different to any other interstate club it will actually be easier to schedule games against Victorian clubs due to it only being a 50 minute flight compared to the wa and Queensland clubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back