Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Except they spend equivelant money on unwanted teams in rich white communities like Gold Coast in the vain hope that one day, if the AFL manipulate the competition enough, they will dock their yachts for the day and go watch their McDonalds branded footy team.

They also convinced 18 teams to unanimously support the potential of the area. Something Tasmania isnt doing.

You can hate on it all you like but its 540,000 people spread across an entire state, necessiating not one but two decent stadiums and matches spread across 2 population centres, requiring TasGov support indefinitely and coming in expecting an above average distribution from the league from day 1.

This isnt like any other team thats been introduced.

They also convinced 18 teams to unanimously support the potential of the area. Something Tasmania isnt doing.

You can hate on it all you like but its 540,000 people spread across an entire state, necessiating not one but two decent stadiums and matches spread across 2 population centres, requiring TasGov support indefinitely and coming in expecting an above average distribution from the league from day 1.

This isnt like any other team thats been introduced.

Once the stadium requirements came out (and assuming it was completely new/out of the blue as claimed, and thus not previously factored in), the Tas bid group (government etc) should have shelved the bid until a new analysis of the economics was worked out, both for the stadium and what that means for the cost/benefit of the club on the state.

$500M+ in additional spending isn't just a rounding error, it's a completely new ball game, and makes any previous reports/analysis redundant.

Yeah, it would have sucked for the delays and all, but it would have been the right call, it could have been laid entirely at the AFL's feet (PR win, and pretty much a guarantee that delay wouldn't mean removing the chance entirely), and showing the spine to walk away would have improved their negotiating position.

With how much the AFL seems to have gotten Tas to bend over for this, I think the AFL is probably on a 'win' with adding this team.

I also think Tas should look seriously at if it's all worth it for them. Is it really worth the best part of a billion in spending, mostly by the state government, to get a club?

Only Hawthorn and North in that regard (with money and merch etc)

It's also been a long time since Tassie was producing solid young AFL players too.

It's just not the right time to bring in another team, especially one with limited resources and population growth like Tasmania and the Clubs know this.

NOT ECONOMICALLY VIABLE
Yes it is.

its almost like they are a professional competition and not a social welfare program.
They also have a duty to the game, a duty that they have all but abandoned.

They were the ones who took on the responsibility for the game itself, if they don't want to perform it then really it should be the responsibility of a separate body.

The AFL has become little more than a self-serving monster.

AFL: Look we have an indigenous round! We're so progressive...
Everyone: That's great. How about also putting a team in Darwin which would have enormous cultural and social benefits for indigenous communities in the NT which the AFL happily takes talent from year on year?
AFL: lol no that would cost money.
Yes it is.

I still think the league and clubs need a few more years to recover financially from the COVID pandemic and its effects.

Wouldn't have an issue of Tassie entering the league in 2030 (not a license, but starting their first season)

Wait another 5-7 years and bring in a team from New Zealand and have a full 20 team comp.

They were the ones who took on the responsibility for the game itself, if they don't want to perform it then really it should be the responsibility of a separate body.

What's best for the game, and what's best for the game in Tas may not be the same thing.

I still think the league and clubs need a few more years to recover financially from the COVID pandemic and its effects.

Wouldn't have an issue of Tassie entering the league in 2030 (not a license, but starting their first season)

Wait another 5-7 years and bring in a team from New Zealand and have a full 20 team comp.
NZ before NT or ACT? Tell ‘em you’re dreaming. I wouldn’t bring in any new teams beyond 21 until NT and ACT come in.

I disagree with those saying the NT will never be viable, unless the population stagnates badly. But if the competition had to remain at 20 teams (ACT after Tas) for 30 years until the NT was ready, I’d keep the number of teams to 20 until then.

No one forced the ANFC to stand down.

A country with 25 million people about to enter a lengthy recession, with higher power costs and high inflation.. (ever tried filling up your car recently?)
And with 4 professional football codes all competing for a diminishing piece of the pie will have enough $$$ to fund an expansion team.
Ok sounds logical.

Sydney tourism is already down massively and yet somehow in the middle of a recession tourists will flock regularly to Tasmania.

A country with 25 million people about to enter a lengthy recession, with higher power costs and high inflation.. (ever tried filling up your car recently?)
And with 4 professional football codes all competing for a diminishing piece of the pie will have enough $$$ to fund an expansion team.
Ok sounds logical.

Sydney tourism is already down massively and yet somehow in the middle of a recession tourists will flock regularly to Tasmania.

Bizarrely enough, I work for a company with half a dozen hotels across Launceston, Hobart and the East Coast....and the tourists are coming. Same deal in our Queensland and SA properties - Adelaide is having its biggest winter turnover in 20 years

Been to Tasmania lately? Place is ****ing booming. So many tourists. Tasmania has had the best performing economy for 10 quarters in a row according to CommSec.

The issue for the AFL is moreso, if Tasmania gets an AFL team, there's no point in going to Victoria when Tassie is just a better/prettier place.

Internationals holiday in Sydney, interstaters holiday in Tasmania.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bizarrely enough, I work for a company with half a dozen hotels across Launceston, Hobart and the East Coast....and the tourists are coming. Same deal in our Queensland and SA properties - Adelaide is having its biggest winter turnover in 20 years

Not really surprised.

After a couple of years of lockdown and restrictions, I know I'm currently looking to get out/away...Anywhere really. I'm not the least bit surprised that others are doing the same.

I suppose the real question is if it will be sustained, or if it's just a matter of the pent up pressure/backlog releasing. I hope for the sake of the Aus tourism industry that it's the former, but I'll leave it to those more informed on this to make predictions.

Only Hawthorn and North in that regard (with money and merch etc)

It's also been a long time since Tassie was producing solid young AFL players too.

It's just not the right time to bring in another team, especially one with limited resources and population growth like Tasmania and the Clubs know this.

NOT ECONOMICALLY VIABLE
Tasmania is currently 2nd on the ladder in the nab league and looking like having one of there best draft years ever which is a miracle as you do realise its the afl that run local and junior football in Tasmania . With proper funding and a local club we would produce a players like we used to

Media rights is a quenstionable one given Seven have come out and said a 19th team adds little to the equation.
Twenty clubs would add significantly to revenue before you get to twenty you need to go to nineteen it’s a building process that doesn’t happen over night. In that 10 -15 years in between a 20th club the Tasmanian government has made it clear they are happy to support the club so the is little financial risk for the afl

Twenty clubs would add significantly to revenue before you get to twenty you need to go to nineteen it’s a building process that doesn’t happen over night. In that 10 -15 years in between a 20th club the Tasmanian government has made it clear they are happy to support the club so the is little financial risk for the afl
I heard that the media rights actually increase a considerable amount with a 19 th team so I'm not sure if it is right to say it won't be adding much. I think it is a major blow to Tasmania chances if that is the case because the AFL will want to be getting money out of adding another team otherwise what is the point in a new team.

The 19th team actually adds more value than the 20th, as a tenth time slot will overlap.

Tasmania is currently 2nd on the ladder in the nab league and looking like having one of there best draft years ever which is a miracle as you do realise its the afl that run local and junior football in Tasmania . With proper funding and a local club we would produce a players like we used to

Nothing would make me happier if that turns out on a regular basis :)

I heard that the media rights actually increase a considerable amount with a 19 th team so I'm not sure if it is right to say it won't be adding much. I think it is a major blow to Tasmania chances if that is the case because the AFL will want to be getting money out of adding another team otherwise what is the point in a new team.
19 will still adds to the rights as it guarantees a Thursday night game every week wookie conveniently left that out

Ok sounds logical.

Place is buzzing down here mate.
Tourist can't get enough of the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back