List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Time to roll this runaway train of a thread over

A bit of a summary of where we sit with our list and what’s on the radar for us

We currently have 34 players contracted beyond 2024 (31 main list, 2 rookie list and 1 Cat B rookie)

Which leaves 10 players currently out of contract :
Rotham
Witherden
Jones
L Edwards
Trew (R)
Culley (R)*
Burgiel
Baker (R)
Livingstone (Cat B)*
Rawlinson (R)*

* As reported by old mate Stickdick, these players have reportedly signed, or are about to sign, new deals. The future for rest of that list remains in limbo for the time being as they have yet to be offered a contract for 2025

Assuming that is correct and with Barrass requesting a trade to Hawthorn we have 8 list spots available for the draft, FA/trades or re-signings

Our current draft hand is 3,23,59 plus whatever we receive for Barrass, likely to be Hawthorn’s R1 pick at a minimum with other pick(s) to be determined. We’ll also have pick 3 in the rookie draft

Using 4 draft picks plus one in the rookie draft should be considered the minimum for a rebuilding side. Ideally, given the purported depth of this draft we should be looking at using a 5th draft pick if we can trade one in somehow

As for trades and FA acquisitions we have been linked to the following :

Peatling (GWS)
Baker (Richmond)
Graham (Richmond - FA)
Parfitt (Geelong - FA)
Carroll (Carlton)
Garcia (Bulldogs)
Clurey (Port Adelaide)

Sheldrick (Sydney) and Robertson (Brisbane) remain possible targets albeit neither name has come up in the media yet

We have also been tenuously linked to Kozi Pickett but it appears more likely he’ll head to Fremantle if he decides to leave Melbourne

Our success in luring some of those players will determine how many, if any, of those contracted players remain or if we have to trade players out or delist a contracted player (unlikely) to make room on the list. Graham and Baker seem the most likely whilst the rest are speculative at best

Ryan, Darling and Petruccelle have been raised as potential trades but mainly in passing rather than anything definitive

Trade week commences Monday, October 7 and runs through to Wednesday, October 16 - a mere 38 sleeps away

Time to roll this runaway train of a thread over

A bit of a summary of where we sit with our list and what’s on the radar for us

We currently have 34 players contracted beyond 2024 (31 main list, 2 rookie list and 1 Cat B rookie)

Which leaves 10 players currently out of contract :
Rotham
Witherden
Jones
L Edwards
Trew (R)
Culley (R)*
Burgiel
Baker (R)
Livingstone (Cat B)*
Rawlinson (R)*

* As reported by old mate Stickdick, these players have reportedly signed, or are about to sign, new deals. The future for rest of that list remains in limbo for the time being as they have yet to be offered a contract for 2025

Assuming that is correct and with Barrass requesting a trade to Hawthorn we have 8 list spots available for the draft, FA/trades or re-signings

Our current draft hand is 3,23,59 plus whatever we receive for Barrass, likely to be Hawthorn’s R1 pick at a minimum with other pick(s) to be determined. We’ll also have pick 3 in the rookie draft

Using 4 draft picks plus one in the rookie draft should be considered the minimum for a rebuilding side. Ideally, given the purported depth of this draft we should be looking at using a 5th draft pick if we can trade one in somehow

As for trades and FA acquisitions we have been linked to the following :

Peatling (GWS)
Baker (Richmond)
Graham (Richmond - FA)
Parfitt (Geelong - FA)
Carroll (Carlton)
Garcia (Bulldogs)
Clurey (Port Adelaide)

Sheldrick (Sydney) and Robertson (Brisbane) remain possible targets albeit neither name has come up in the media yet

We have also been tenuously linked to Kozi Pickett but it appears more likely he’ll head to Fremantle if he decides to leave Melbourne

Our success in luring some of those players will determine how many, if any, of those contracted players remain or if we have to trade players out or delist a contracted player (unlikely) to make room on the list. Graham and Baker seem the most likely whilst the rest are speculative at best

Ryan, Darling and Petruccelle have been raised as potential trades but mainly in passing rather than anything definitive

Trade week commences Monday, October 7 and runs through to Wednesday, October 16 - a mere 38 sleeps away

Thanks for the summary!

If he wants to come I reckon Parfitt of those options you've listed would make the most sense IMO - he's hard and a bit bullocking, does the defensive stuff, right age and seems the best fit to put around the Reid/Hewett/(Draper) etcs to give them a bit of physical protection whilst being young enough to be around as long as we need him and fast enough that nobody's picking up his slack on the spread.

Would cost us nothing picks-wise (and as you say would be nice to keep a few mid range picks). And generally prefer to take players who are on the outer in a really good team/system.

Also think our board in general is maybe a bit overly focused on good disposal by foot (PTSD from our 2015 midfield which still made a GF) - good disposal I'd prioritise highly for A-grade midfield draftees sure but for a cheap pickup who's always going to have flaws I'd rather someone who's hard and decently fast. Will be better for protecting the kids, preserving Yeo and letting Kelly hopefully play more of a Geelong Kelly role if possible.

Peatling would be great but reckon he'll be choosing between other offers or staying.

If bolten and pickett both get to freo it will cost them all 3 firsts this year and a future 1st with some later picks going back .

If freo blow their wad on 2 contracted players who's club's will be wanting maximum compensation it will effectively take them out of the warner race next season .

It will also give us a free run at Baker without interference.

If bolten and pickett both get to freo it will cost them all 3 firsts this year and a future 1st with some later picks going back .

If freo blow their wad on 2 contracted players who's club's will be wanting maximum compensation it will effectively take them out of the warner race next season .

No way in hell is Bolton worth 2 first rounders.
Picket is far better and Melbourne should be stoked with #10 alone

1 year deals:
Rawlinson
Livingstone
Trew
Culley

Retire/delist:
JJ
Rotham
Witherden
Burgiel
Edwards
Gaff

Trade Ins:
Peatling- 23 + GWS give back 49
Kozzie- 12 + Hawks f1

Trade Outs:
Barass- 12 and Hawks f1
Darling- Pies 48

Draft:
3 - O'Sullivan
48 - Dennis
49 + 59 (445pts) = pick 39 Champion bid
Kozzie
Peatling
Graham (FA)

Best 23
Hough Edwards Cole
Duggan Gov Ginbey
Kelly Peatling Maric
Pickett Snake Long
Ryan Allen Jwilliams

Flynn Yeo Reid

O'Sullivan Graham Hutchinson Dewar
(Sub)Hewett

Sarcastic Season 9 GIF by The Office

1 year deals:
Rawlinson
Livingstone
Trew
Culley

Retire/delist:
JJ
Rotham
Witherden
Burgiel
Edwards
Gaff

Trade Ins:
Peatling- 23 + GWS give back 49
Kozzie- 12 + Hawks f1

Trade Outs:
Barass- 12 and Hawks f1
Darling- Pies 48

Draft:
3 - O'Sullivan
48 - Dennis
49 + 59 (445pts) = pick 39 Champion bid
Kozzie
Peatling
Graham (FA)

Best 23
Hough Edwards Cole
Duggan Gov Ginbey
Kelly Peatling Maric
Pickett Snake Long
Ryan Allen Jwilliams

Flynn Yeo Reid

O'Sullivan Graham Hutchinson Dewar
(Sub)Hewett
You want to go into one of the deepest midfielder drafts with 1 pick in the top 50?

Are you working for the dockers?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Start of 2025 Bolton is 26 and Baker is 27, both have premiership experience which Freo need.

Kozzy and Warner are both 23 which is perfect for us. Throw in Peatling (24) and Dev (23) and we have bolstered the midfield, added pace, flair and aggression as well as some defensive balance.

Here is my attempt at making it happen while maintaining a top 10 pick to land an elite young mid. The end of R1 priority picks are a big IF but would give us a lot more flexibility with trades and draft collateral. If North got given 4 surely we can get 2 ??

TB to Hawks for 12 + 30
Ryan to Freo for 27 + Knobel
JD to Pies for 50
Petch to highest bidder at approx 40
End of R1 PP 19 + 20 from AFL

Draft picks
3, 12, 19, 20, 23, 27, 30, 40, 50, 59, 77

Trade
12 + 20 to Dees for Kozzy
3 + 19 + BW to Saints for 7 + 8 (Battle compo)
23 + 27 + 30 to Suns for 13
7 + 13 + F3 to Sydney for Warner
F2 + 40 to Giants for Peatling + 35
50 to Lions for Dev

Draft
8 best mid
35 best slider
59 champion
77 will come in to 60 odd

In: Kozzy, Warner, Peatling, Dev, Knobel

B: Hough Edwards Hunt
HB: Ginbey Gov Duggo
C: Kelly Yeo Peatling
HF: Pickett Waterman Hewett
F: Long Allen JWillo
R: Flynn Reid Warner
Int: Maric Hutch Dev pick 8
S: Chesser
E: Bazzo Dewar Brockman Hall Archer Witho Cole Cripps

I know the draft mafia want to flood the team with speculative 18 year olds, but in this scenario we bring in
  • 1x gun AA attacking mid
  • 1x gun small forward/mid
  • 2x best 22 balanced/defensive mids
  • 1x developing ruck
  • All between the ages of 20-24
  • Retain top 10 pick
All of a sudden we look pretty competitive and Harley might enjoy a few more wins with a core group of youngsters which will go a long way to keeping him and others together long term.

Last edited:
I'm really concerned that we are being linked to so many middling, low ceiling players which will require the use of valuable assets, especially our finite draft picks.

Peatling, Baker, Graham etc. all likely to cost more than they are worth to us as a developing side that lacks stars.

If we draft well, we really only need one of these types of players to protect the kids post kelly/yeo (or none if we got a pickett).

Rumour is Jamie Cripps has retired and will play at Northampton with his mates.
If true it opens another spot or saves someone from being delisted.

Heard that from Mark Readings on 6PR just before..I'll believe it when I see it. Wouldn't be celebrating too early

Before everyone starts shouting from rooftops in langford we trust

Wait for the combine. He's may test slower then a snail for speed and endurance. That would be a deal breaker. He had one vfl game with men and got 12 possessions.

Now as a hypocrite same doesn't apply for Lalor. He could test slower worse on endurance then langford I still draft him instead of langford. Now if Lalor blitzes combine then we'll let hope other clubs don't watch combine score and he slides

Last edited:
You want to go into one of the deepest midfielder drafts with 1 pick in the top 50?

Are you working for the dockers?
1.Firstly there are 3 under 50,
Finn- arguably the best pure mid
Dennis - u18 all Australia full back
Malakai- mercurial small fwd

It's only speculation this years draft is stacked, it's not something we can guarantee on till 5-7 years pass.The draft is bread and butter for people like cal twomey so it's in their best interest to oversell it every year like Americans do with their football

Adding peatling and kozzi won't be free.both players add a lot and we'd look significantly better for it. Our Midfield needs a mature body ready to go, relying on young Harley or yeo who is injury prone is reckless. Having a xfactor like kozzi in not only adds 30+ goals a year it keeps a hbf accountable also freeing up kelly/dewar/Ryan

4. If you don't like peatling that pick 23 will probably get swallowed up bringing in baker. 12 and Hawks f1 probably won't be enough to get kozzi here so there's an extra pick for you

I made a very funny post in the last thread that was lined up to receive record numbers before oldigarch Keys left me on an island. I'm sure you'll all do the right thing.

I'm really concerned that we are being linked to so many middling, low ceiling players which will require the use of valuable assets, especially our finite draft picks.

Peatling, Baker, Graham etc. all likely to cost more than they are worth to us as a developing side that lacks stars.

If we draft well, we really only need one of these types of players to protect the kids post kelly/yeo (or none if we got a pickett).

Just because we're "linked" to them all doesnt mean we plan on getting all of them. Some would be backups if the first choices fall through

He’s been a great player, I wouldn’t be disappointed if the news was true, Dewar, Champion, Liam Baker, could all be given opportunities if he was moving on.

Graham is free, Peatling will be relatively cheap as hes not even locked in the best 22 for GWS.

We ideally want 2 of these guys imo. Need to move Kelly out and to be able to move out Yeo in case of injury or just to protect him at half back.

Draft wont cover these defensive mid roles in the near future, thats years away.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back