List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Ongoing discussions:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
I very much hate to say this but I genuinely think Dockers can go flag if they get Shai. Lots of close losses last year, great list profile age wise, improving still. I mean I hope as always they fall horribly short but yeah they will be very decent if they can add his dynamic attacking play to that mix. You’d think he’d be keen for that kind of action that could be pretty immediate if he joins Freo
Brisbane and Sydney are so far ahead of the rest its absurd. Even without Joe Daniher, Brisbane just miles ahead.

100% not from the press conference. Its across the board. I mean we still havnt made our delistings yet..... What are we waiting for here?
They don’t know how many picks they will be taking to the draft until our trades are done. Surely that’s not that difficult to understand.
Couple that with things like not getting or publically asking for a priority pick
Maybe AFL house shut the door on it privately. No point coming out making a big noise about requiring assistance if you have already been told it’s not happening. Would burn bridges in AFL house, the media would have a field day and we would look like fools. Fight the battles you are a chance of winning.
We don’t know what’s happening behind the scenes. Simply guessing.

I thought the same however multiple Gold Coast fans have mentioned that they want players rather than picks this year, and they have multiple academy prospects next year. I personally think the Suns would be better off trading 6 for a future first and giving Richmond what they want out of the rest of their picks. It does seem like they can get more for 13 than Rioli though so maybe they are better off giving up 6 to Richmond and trying to get back an F2 (I know I said 20 but I think an F2 might be better for the Suns).

Liam Ryan to Suns.

Will Powell to Eagles.

Dusty won't be playing there and they need a headline grabbing player to trade in. Marketing would love it.

Just do it.

Im not denying my victim complex but more then 1 agreed with them for sure

100% not from the press conference. Its across the board. I mean we still havnt made our delistings yet..... What are we waiting for here? Couple that with things like not getting or publically asking for a priority pick, targetting players and missing out on them again and also lack of direction as a whole and its been a bad start

J Jones and Trew have signed with WAFL clubs and didn't retire. They were delisted.

Darling gone.

Barrass about to go.

Gaff retired.

So 5 confirmed departures so far.

Talk on Trade Radio that his preference privately is West Coast but the feeling is the Dockers have the picks to get the deal done.
yeah, bugger

ah well prob better for them. Icing on the cake guy.

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

We'll need future picks for 2025. Especially for Wes.
Trade

Barrass for 14 F2.
3 to bombers 9 and F1st.
F1 to tigers for 6 and baker.

6 best mid
9 Lindsay
14 Allen
23 Urquhart
Champion.

It does leave saints in between us with 7 8, so likely they take TT unless we pull the trigger on him at 6.

Bombers F1 - death ride the second half of the yr!
Hawks F2
Our F2 F3 F4

All three of these are perfect for the FS and academy bids.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brisbane and Sydney are so far ahead of the rest its absurd. Even without Joe Daniher, Brisbane just miles ahead.

Freo beat both this year, one of those was Sydney away. With the age of their mids and forwards in particular they are going to continue to improve. Shai in that mix certainly helps their attack. I would be shocked if they get Bolton and can’t go top 4 at least in 2025.

I do not enjoy writing this by the way, but they are very close to a genuine tilt now

They say that about every premiership team. Let's not forget that Brissy was 40 odd points down against GWS in the semi final and pretty much everyone thought they were done. Form and confidence makes a huge difference.

Not that I want Freo to win a flag, but I could easily see them top 4 next year if they get themselves sorted. That's a big if though.

They say that about every premiership team. Let's not forget that Brissy was 40 odd points down against GWS in the semi final and pretty much everyone thought they were done. Form and confidence makes a huge difference.

Not that I want Freo to win a flag, but I could easily see them top 4 next year if they get themselves sorted. That's a big if though.
Thats true but we also cant ignore they are about to add Coleman, Doedee, Levi, McCarthy, McInerney, Gardner to the team that won the Grand Final.

They won a flag and no team will get more talent into the team then them this off season

They don’t know how many picks they will be taking to the draft until our trades are done. Surely that’s not that difficult to understand.

Maybe AFL house shut the door on it privately. No point coming out making a big noise about requiring assistance if you have already been told it’s not happening. Would burn bridges in AFL house, the media would have a field day and we would look like fools. Fight the battles you are a chance of winning.
We don’t know what’s happening behind the scenes. Simply guessing.
I just can't agree with this.

The supporters really should know if PP's were applied for.

You don't have to make a "big noise" about it.
Just come out and say we applied and were refused.

I for one would feel better knowing we at least had a crack.

As for "burning bridges", they give us **** all as it is.

Calls are we need to take an elite mid at the top end of the draft to pair with Harley.

I see reasonable question marks on every mid in the top 5 this year and as much as I'd like to fast track us to not being such a basket case anymore I'd prefer to build our next premiership team.

For that reason, I have zero interest in including our F1 in considerations this year preferring to keep our powder dry next year for warner or just take Rodriguez. My preference this year is to maintain our number of picks and get in the elite runners/footballers that are going to support our future elite midfielders.

My preferred offer for baker is a slide back 3-6 with a F3 if needed.

6 Travaglia
14 Lindsay
2x Barrat, O'Farrell
5x Unwin/Urqhardt

I'm resigned to the fact that our ruck situation remains unchanged for 2025.

Next year I'm targeting either Warner or Rodriguez and Swadling

year after take another mid with R1
Good man. My favourite two Bendigo players from this year.

Freo with Bolton would be near favourites for the flag 2025 but they aren't they have , Brisbane , Hawthorn, Sydney , Giants , Carlton , Geelong , Western Bulldogs , Collingwood .....all in front of Freo as favourites .
Port Adelaide are ranked lower then Freo .

Gold Coast I think can play finals at least .
Good draft picks again this draft ...surely they can threaten.

I'm wetting the bed hard about this whole baker for 14. We really don't need him.

Get parfitt, owies for free, along with Graham that's 3 serviceable players in the 26/27 age bracket.

Trade: Barrass, 26 for 14, 33, Haw F1.
Trade: Haw F1, WCE F2, 33 for 13, 23

Go to the Draft with 3, 13, 14, 23, 63, 68

3 - Fos/jagga/Lalor
13,14 - Two of Lindsay, Tauru/Trainor, Berry, Allan
23 - KPD/Dodson
63, 68 Champion match

I just can't agree with this.

The supporters really should know if PP's were applied for.

You don't have to make a "big noise" about it.
Just come out and say we applied and were refused.

I for one would feel better knowing we at least had a crack.

As for "burning bridges", they give us **** all as it is.
Having a good relationship with AFL house will be beneficial as there are other things currently in play after the equalisation review. No will mean no so what’s the point in poking the bear and looking like a beggar that’s being turned away. It would be a poor look for the club putting its hand out for assistance and being told no. We would get zero support from the AFL media just like during the COVID era and that was a poor look for our club. Surely that one is recent enough to remember what having a whinge looks like in the VAFL landscape.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back