List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Ongoing discussions:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol Ralph...

Firstly lever was uncontracted.
They got pick 10 and a F1.
With a 35 going back.

We would be taking two F1 which already hold far less value then a current 10 pick. And give back a F2 which would likely be 19-22 range.

Seems to me like he actually strengthens out stance for 2 X F1s.

Otherwise let's look at other trades... Let's see may who got pick 6. Also uncontracted. That's cool tho, hawks go get us 6 and we have a deal.

Cheers ralphoo

Can’t see Hawks finishing much higher than they did this year, maybe even lower.

Lots of okay players having absolute career years, riding a wave of good vibes and the Vic media talking them up every week like they’re the Harlem Globetrotters.

Reckon they’re a good chance to do a Freo and miss finals next year. Their F1 could be worth a bit.
Theyre adding Battle and Barrass, thats no small addition. They also have natural development.
They should 100% make finals as a minimum

And surprise, Port aren’t accepting the crazy trade put to them. Starting to think maybe Twomey is going a little early on some of these because he needs to fill content. 🤔

OoOoOoOoerrr, I wonder if they'll manage to get everyone to agree before the Wednesday deadline?!

Kristen Wiig Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live

Stop wetting the bed, the club has Hawthorn by the balls.

If M.Clarke and co stay calm through tomorrow and Wednesday, the Hawks will fold like Gold Coast over L.Weller.

Both F1s + F2 for T.Barrass + 63 + F3

F2 to Richmond for L.Baker.

Bank F1s for Ch.Warner in 2025.

Carlton and M.Owies can both GTFO.

What’s truly odd is why Carlton are seemingly done with him. He’s no world beater but he’s definitely an AFL starter at a very mercurial position to fill.
It's simply due to him being the only OOC small forward they currently have and having to move players on.

Simply bad timing for him.

Don’t think anyone wants him for anything other than a token pick or as a DFA.

Kicked 27 and 33 goals in the last two seasons, he’s so clearly an AFL calibre player albeit not a sexy one or one you’d ever want to rely on for anything other than filling a role.

For free, it’s a no brainer given how thin we are at the small forward position. Don’t think it stands in the way of Long or Dewar or Champion either, given where Cripps is at there’s plenty of minutes to go around. Just a good guy to have at our disposal for dirt cheap.

What’s truly odd is why Carlton are seemingly done with him. He’s no world beater but he’s definitely an AFL starter at a very mercurial position to fill.
I reckon he has whipping boy written all over him, but happy to be proven wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon he has whipping boy written all over him, but happy to be proven wrong.
100% he does, but people bagged prime Cripps cause it’s a very difficult position to make look good if you’re not whipping out Eddie Betts goals every week,

27 year old B22 player in a position we’re thin at as a DFA would be a home run. Trading anything worth anything for him would be a howler.

If M.Clarke and co stay calm through tomorrow and Wednesday, the Hawks will fold like Gold Coast over L.Weller.

Hope so.

I wonder how people on here seem to have blind faith in Clarke (and Pyke). We have no evidence to date and in fact the inference that could be drawn is that we should be more worried than confident

There must be something I'm missing with Owies. 8.7 touches a game, slow for his position, has a brain fart in him from what I've seen. Kicks 1.4 goals a game - decent - but with that midfield and those talls to feed off, you should.

Did they debunk his crazy wage demands? I'm assuming he would come here on decent pay. I'd rather prioritise the development of guys like Dewar and hopefully Champion.
He's a very mature age recruit. Just trying to make hay while the sun is shining i guess

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

You can provide as much statistical analysis and break down data from games as you like, but I like this post much better.

I ****en hope you are right on this one.

And surprise, Port aren’t accepting the crazy trade put to them. Starting to think maybe Twomey is going a little early on some of these because he needs to fill content. 🤔

This also means pick 13 is back on the table.
We could snag it with Barrass picks, or Saints could get it and use 8+13 to trade up for 3 in some way

Hope so.

I wonder how people on here seem to have blind faith in Clarke (and Pyke). We have no evidence to date and in fact the inference that could be drawn is that we should be more worried than confident

It’s like 2% with blind faith, and 98% with dislike or distrust.

Yet we’ve really done nothing yet (darling for 64, but that was fair enough).

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Old mate has been dining out on guessing the top 12 picks correctly couple of years back.

He has certain clubs dropping info his way to put public pressure on.

Pretty obvious Port aren’t one of them, neither are the Eagles.

All he does is regurgitate what Ryan Daniels says is coming out of the Eagles - which to be fair is what the rest of them do too.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back