List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Whose future picks would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Trade period
In:
12, F1, F2, F3, 73, Baker, Owies, Graham*
Out: 3, 63, F4, Barrass, Darling

*Free agent

Done deals

• Jai Culley, Alex Witherden and Coby Burgiel delisted

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
Free agency and astute trading to compliment some decent kids coming through, along with a couple of A+ players will be enough to win a premiership.

I think the Eagles think we can attract free agents to fill out the list like Collingwood have done this year.
It's an anomally though. Geelong had a system with senior guys like Selwood and Danger. It's not like they were bottom 4, playing like a busted ass, and brought in a heap of B graders. Daicos and Fly sparked Collingwood. That stuff is rare.

We're always going to be able to attract expat free agents. Warner is OOC and a good chance to come. Next year is slightly early, but okay. And apart from Warner, we won't have to and shouldn't give up top picks.

Mraz is the best foil for Harry due to his athleticism but had a bad navicular fracture this year and missed almost all of the season.

HOF won’t suit Harry as much but is the best defender of the three IMO and would have been taken first had he not had his ankle injury.

Barrat I bloody love and whilst all three have shown a bit playing forward I see him having the most upside and very much in the Adam Hunter mould.

Mraz with a navicular injury is a massive red flag. Remember reading up on the kid thinking great option. Then came the injury report......checks notes on our history with players and leg and ankle injueies. Next option please. :rolleyes: :huh::think:

With Twomey releasing his latest rankings today, this is how I'm seeing the draft landscape at this stage (excluding NGAs and F/S)

Tier 1: Lalor, FOS
Tier 2: Smith, Draper, Langford, Reid
Tier 3: Smillie, Tauru, Armstrong
Tier 4: Travaglia, Allan
Tier 5: Hotton, Lindsay, Berry, Trainor
Tier 6: Whitlock x 2, Shanahan, Hynes, Dattoli

Pick #12 is certainly an intriguing position to be in.

Tier 1 has no chance of sliding. Tiers 2 and 3 have a tiny possibility, but it's not even worth considering unless new information comes in, and we presumably wouldn't be interested in Armstrong anyway (although you never know with us).

Tier 4 is realistically our best-case scenario. Travaglia is adored on our board, and for good reason, but we'll be lucky if he makes it through to #12. Ironically, the local boy Allan is widely disliked at this selection, but I disagree with that sentiment. He looked bloody awesome playing in the biggest games of the year for Peel and his ceiling is very high. The likes of Harley, Hewett, Ginbey and Allan will be terrifying to come up against before long. I would be stoked with Bo, and that's not because he's a West Australian. Funnily enough, I think this is actually making him a more polarising figure here as so many of our supporters are sick of us constantly, lazily being linked to local prospects alone, but let's not lose sight of his potential both long-term, and straight out of the blocks.

In my opinion, our worst-case scenario is if both tier 4 options have been snapped up along with the aforementioned nine prospects, leaving us to choose from tiers 5 or 6. Hotton is rumoured to be a mummy's boy, and Trainor has concussion concerns, although you wouldn't rule either out for us based on talent and positional needs.

If we are steering clear of them, then it comes down to Lindsay, Berry, and likely Hynes as a slight reach, although he has the potential to more than live up to a higher selection. I'm crossing my fingers that Travaglia or Allan slide, but if we end up with Lindsay, Berry or Hynes then I'll be happy enough - they all look like great prospects. Nevertheless, I can't help but feel disappointed missing out on someone like Draper if we wind up with one of them, whereas Travaglia or Allan softens the blow a little, but that's just my opinion. I know Lindsay has a lot of fans and ESPN's phantom released today had the Saints going early on him but I'm just not excited by what I've seen from him... Would prefer Berry except for the fact that he isn't as much of a need which only brings me back to hoping that Travaglia or Allan make it through to us!

It's going to be an interesting month.

Why dont people understand; Jack Hutchinson will be our second picked mid behind Harley.No maybes,no mights,
no “he only played a half in junk time”.
Anybody that claims to recognise talent should have been over the moon at that cameo!
22yrs old,190cm and hard at it.Mock me all you like but I would take him in front of any of the top 10 draftees this year.
Reminds me of Essendons Sam Durham at 185cm also taken at the mid draft.
Think about how far he’s come in a handful of games and no club preseason!

Bailey Williams in centre bounces gets first hand to ball more often than not . Then the opposition clears more often than not . Thats what I see . So iether he has no idea how to palm to advantage or our mids cant shark . I suspect both .
Nic Nat was awsome in that when he got first hand it went to advantage and when it was in dispute he was a midfield bull to contest the groundball .
So Bailey more than halfs his job preventing the oppo ruck getting first hands . Our mids need to be improved .

I’d recommend spec savers, they have a two for one deal at the moment…

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Why dont people understand; Jack Hutchinson will be our second picked mid behind Harley.No maybes,no mights,
Anybody that claims to recognise talent should have been over the moon at that cameo!
22yrs old,190cm and hard at it.Mock me all you like but I would take him in front of any of the top 10 draftees this year.

Not sure if you’re taking the urine here but either way, I certainly agree to an extent. He may not be our midfield answer but his profile and attributes make him an exciting prospect.

More specifically, if you read Tauru’s profile, it’s not too dissimilar to Hutch’s (minus a few cm’s and 4 years).

In addition, from what we’ve seen, he has a good head on his shoulders in terms of maturity and decent game awareness. Pre-draft it was said he is very “coachable” which is another desirable attribute.

I’m looking forward to seeing how he goes in 2025 after his first professional pre-season.

TT being the board's hive mind choice I can't wait for him to be available at our pick only for us to ignore him and go for the local in Allan.

The Poo vs Ginbey all over again.

Animated GIF
I would be ropeable if this happens this year.
We decide to take a tall defender in the second round. All 3 of James Barrat, Noah Mraz and Harry O'Farrall make it to our pick. How do we rank them?
1. Barrat
2. Mraz
3. O'Farrell

Didn't earn 3 Brownlow votes like Tom Swift did that one time though.

I also have great hopes for Clay Hall.
And it would be nice to see Hewett get over having his feet amputated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Different draft qualities, differences in where top end talent finishes, etc - of course. The historic data shows as such. Apparently this draft is deep. Anyone of 6 or 7 kids could go #1..

I didn't say anything about dumb luck. I just said decisions also need to be judged on the data they had at the time of making the decision, rather than just the outcome. Good decision makers don't get every decision right. They just get a higher percentage right compared to their peers. These people aren't winging it and going on a whim, they're playing percentages.

I don't think anyone thinks Clarke was thinking, "the draft is even through #3 to #12". His motivation was getting Baker in and he went to extreme lengths to do it.

I'm sure we both agree that who we pick at 12 could be elite. And who we would have chosen at 3 ends up a dud. Entirely possible. We've seen it happen, although not so much in recent drafts. But I'm sure we can also agree that it's a low percentage play (and therefore bad decision), regardless of the outcome.

The significant point here is that we were supposedly looking to downgrade 3 regardless of Baker because we felt all the top available prospects had flight risk concerns. That's a big discussion in itself, as I've been trying to put to Phil.

Either we don't value the high end of the draft enough, and so are unduly swung by those considerations, or the culture is getting so bad that we're constantly going to be selecting from a very limited pool. In either case, some drastic change of approach is needed.

The most worrying part is that we've weakened this year in two ways -- moved out of the top bracket and robbed ourselves of the option to go for volume in a draft with a very even first two rounds. This in favour of picks next year, but supposedly that's in anticipation of Warner, in which case we're sacrificing the draft then too.

So list manager Matt Clarke was the bloke who selected Jack Hutchinson, Matt Clarke you are a dead set genius!
Looking forward to what happens on draft night.

I’d recommend spec savers, they have a two for one deal at the moment…

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Centre bounces I said
I was on board during that 2nd half against Geelong . Have re-watched the 2nd half . I'm still on board . Put him in the guts and he was everywhere that 2nd half . Clean hands in congestion . Hope someone makes a highlight reel of his 2nd half .

N
We decide to take a tall defender in the second round. All 3 of James Barrat, Noah Mraz and Harry O'Farrall make it to our pick. How do we rank them?
Mraz I was most excited about coming into the year, started really well. Then I thought his game vs Coburg underwhelmed me. O'F in the same game had a great game. Both then got injured.

Barrat has been the slow burn through the year but has had really solid development as the year has gone on.
Tough choice, but form probably means Barrat is the leading candidate.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Back