List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion, 2023: Picks 1,20,34,39,53 ,58

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to contract status of all players

Link to Lore ’s excellent draft order thread that is updated to reflect current ladder positions

Last edited:
North have been terrible since Brad Scott left , Laidley prior to Scott got results against the grain now it looks a broken wheel hopefully it turns for them no more extras .

Im a firm believer in different style mids, we have a shuey similar in hewett which i think mckercher is the same. Ginbey and culley are ball winners. I feel like we are missing a midfield driver/navigator... I kind of want Sanders. How does it happen? no idea obviously not 2 of 3
How has Sanders responded about returning to Tassie in 2028.

Other teams can comfortably outbid us for GC’s pick 4 unfortunately. Our 2nd, Port’s 2nd and our future 2nd plus promising not to bid on Walter at 2 could get it done, but I doubt it, also don’t see the club doing that anyway.
Our future 2nd + pick 21 + 34
Agree. Think they can’t afford to give them 1 and 2. Could have gotten away giving them 2 and 3.

If they go end of first round they can also probably give them sanders as well.

Either way we will get nothing extra.
i would hope they just don't give them sanders . Hopefully they just take away the top 40 access restrictions and they have to match a bid .
They also have callinan as a academy prospect who doesn't look like lasting to pick 40 either

I've said plenty about Reid and his potential downsides in regards to being a full time mid. I really don't think the club loses much from a draft perspective. Who the club is likely to draft in the second round is likely still there. Really depends on McKercher's ankle injury and who WCE draft. I very much prefer McKercher over Curtin at this stage.

As far as i'm concerned Reid isn't even the most talented player in the pool (he is more talented than McKercher or Curtin). He does some really, really great things and those things he does he does really, really well. However there are a couple of red flags and i think Eastern Rangers and I are in agreement with pretty much all of them.

Talent only gets you so far.
Thanks for somewhat mending a broken heart.

Well this makes it really interesting and we need to be smart for the long term, today excluded.

On the assumption we have pick 2, do we go Curtin and then pick a mid next year? Next year having more pure mids at the top end, whereas this year is as barren as a nuns c***?

We still need more contested type mids at the coalface and that can rack up numbers.

If you want McKercher, you probably have to hope North get 2 for McKay, so that ensures they’ll take Curtin, otherwise we likely will.
Nah North can eat a dick.
No way they getting pick 2 for spud McKay.

We are not guaranteed to pick Curtin. If we were able to obtain pick 4 by trading and working some magic with GC
If we had pick 2 and 4 somehow.
We would pick McKercher pick 2 and Curtin should be able to slide to pick 4. Question can it be done.

Be nice to obtain both of them after disappointment of losing Reid. That's what our goal should be now.
It be a good draft for us. All of a sudden we have Hewitt Gibney McKercher and Curtin.

Id be happy with that and it would offset the risk of having only one. McKercher is a must though for us now. We need a genuine midfielder.

We are not guaranteed to pick Curtin. If we were able to obtain pick 4 by trading and working some magic with GC

We would pick McKercher pick 2 and Curtin should be able to slide to pick 4. Question can it be done.

Be nice to obtain both of them after disappointment of losing Reid. That's what our goal should be now.

ROB seemed like he had zero interest in trading up when asked about it on Gettable.

I don’t see us emptying ourselves out of the 2nd round (this season and next)

Every man and his dog, as well as 17 other clubs is looking to pillage Fold Coast for their pick 4.

Please this year let it be our turn.

Although Rohans comments of "We're just going to protect what picks we have" (ironic after just losing pick 1 & 19) means it might not be on our radar.

McKercher highlights. His small but very quick. Has some serious wheels. Uses the ball very well. Reminds me of Butters from Port.

The only thing on him is no idea about his Tasmania influence. If we pick him would he seek a trade to the new Tasmania side in a few years.

Looks great.

Shame he's shorter than a garden gonme. Guess it didn't hurt Kerr.

It be a good draft for us. All of a sudden we have Hewitt Gibney McKercher and Curtin.

Id be happy with that and it would offset the risk of having only one. McKercher is a must though for us now. We need a genuine midfielder.
Hard to get pick 4 without giving away our two second rounders plus extra

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let’s pick curtain and play him solely as a mid. No guts no glory.
Meagan Good Surprise GIF by Harlem

Im a firm believer in different style mids, we have a shuey similar in hewett which i think mckercher is the same. Ginbey and culley are ball winners. I feel like we are missing a midfield driver/navigator... I kind of want Sanders. How does it happen? no idea obviously not 2 of 3

All different, but you're absolutely right. I see it as follows.

McKercher is an accumulator and gets big numbers through repeat efforts and on the spread. I see him as the guy you work through to get the ball outside.

Hewett is one or two touches at a stoppage and then does the rest of the work around the ground. Being that stoppage guy first is probably how he makes a living.

Shuey is a repeat stoppages sort of player, okay inside but super lethal on the spread under duress. Nothing like him in this draft on face value.

Ginbey. Stoppage beast, but struggles around the ground. He does better behind the ball and should probably spend more time there to help learn the game ans improve execution.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Also, imagine finishing below a team that got pounded by 100+ points 5 times and was getting compared to Fitzroy.

Lolnorf

Think it's time to tell Curtin that if he wants to stay in WA. Time to do exactly what Vic draftees have been doing. Let's screw the draft. Get in his mangers ear. Let Curtin start dictating where he wants to go. Refuse to travel. He must have a keen interest in staying put. After all the media brought this on with Reid. Let's throw it right back at them now with Curtin. Offer him the world. All he has to do is say it.

IMG_20230820_210029.jpg

Surely Hawks will go Curtin at pick 3 if he's there?

Highly doubt it, they have that F/S McCabe kid who’s a key defender and a first round talent, so I don’t imagine they take Curtin along with him.

I think the Hawks would be hot on Duursma, Watson and maybe McKercher.

Only knock i'd say with McKercher is that you've got to ask whether his game can translate against men and bigger bodies.

More so the contested part, rather than his outside stuff. I wouldn't think he's going to be able to slip so many tackles, and scoot around stoppages as easily with his 181cm/76kg frame. I guess if Butters can do it at pretty much the same height and weight....?

Curtin at least is putting together a fair chunk of work in the WAFL senios, where he looks pretty classy and not the least bit out of place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back