Mega Thread Coronavirus & the AFL - Stage 4 Restrictions in Place in Vic - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is part Three.

Part One can be found here -

Part Two can be found here -

Part 4 can be found here:

Australian stats page:

Last edited by a moderator:

So Les is wrong? You deny that their stated objectives include dismantling capitalism, disrupting the western prescribed family structure and defunding the police? Feel free to refer to the BLM website and the BLM UK Gofundme page before replying.

Do you have the AFL Players website instead? Seems more relevant.

I'm not sure what to think of this thread. Mostly appalled.

Would it be so hard for those disagreeing with the gesture to just tune in (or tune out) five minutes later?
First day on the internet / bigfooty? :p
Couple of out and out trolls here. I'd guess (hope) that only 25% max is genuine ignorance, and the most inflammatory stuff is definitely trolling.

It's not the fact that the players are paying their respects to a victim of police brutality that bothers me at all, they are allowed to take a stand and show unity against racism. Its the dark irony of "taking a knee".

So Les is wrong? You deny that their stated objectives include dismantling capitalism, disrupting the western prescribed family structure and defunding the police? Feel free to refer to the BLM website and the BLM UK Gofundme page before replying.

Bunk Moreland is a bit of a loon, humor him, he thinks all those things are OK

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bunk Moreland is a bit of a loon, humor him, he thinks all those things are OK
I actually quite like Bunk and generally enjoy his posts even if I don’t always agree with them. I’m not even saying don’t support the BLM Movement if that’s what you believe. I’m just saying be educated and be clear exactly what it is that you are supporting.

For what it’s worth I support the statement “black lives matter” of course they bloody do! But I cannot and will not support a movement that states their objectives as including dismantling capitalism and defunding the police.

Let's remember; this was a player driven initiative, not one from The AFL and Gil (who tend to try shy away from as much controversy as possible)
‘Player driven’ AKA a small group of players demanded this happen and the rest played along so they can have a career.

‘Player driven’ AKA a small group of players demanded this happen and the rest played along so they can have a career.

Is this any different as a political and social statement then the ceremonies they play on Anzac Day (for example ?)

If the players want to do it, why should we (as fans and club members) want to deprive them of doing this on their workplace ?

Looking forward to the bitter tirade from Richmond 'supporter' Andrew Bolt over this :)
I didn't want it to be true so I googled 'andrew bolt richmond' and it came up with this as the first hit:

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/blogs/...s/news-story/1ec3ff0a73cb45648d8db76ceba09ad7

Oh my god. I have never seen a better example of pathos in my life. Watching this simpleton slowly come to the understanding that you cant judge a book by its cover in Dusty. Then completely ignore this in the way he describes other people in the same video. It's both hilarious and desperately sad at the same time.

I wonder if the AFL supports this?
(Twitter of BLM Toronto co-founder)

CfSSc1rW8AAkO6Y

Or this?

C2V-KC_UAAA2GVO

The AFL should 'get behind' the BLM cause and 'all it stands for' right? Including the sentiment that 'whiteness is not humaness'.
I did clarify that point a little later. The human right point of view is more what I was referring to. There is certainly a radical part of these movements which is troubling.

I think the AFL is entitled to ensure that all people feel included as part of the game. If a symbolic gesture by two clubs is seen to be a way of support, by all means. Does it really hurt anyone?

Curious though- those posts were both from 2016. it’s not like it was something posted yesterday. I don’t know about you, but I’ve grown a fair bit since then as a
Person, my mindset has changed a lot in many respects. Is it not likely that Yusra might have, also?

Inclusivity is something that all people should strive for. But yet consistently it isn’t the case. All lives matter, regardless of skin colour. Of course they do. But right now even here in Australia the gap in many areas is too large and I think that needs to be something Australia works hard to correct.

Is this any different as a political and social statement then the ceremonies they play on Anzac Day (for example ?)

If the players want to do it, why should we (as fans and club members) want to deprive them of doing this on their workplace ?
ANZAC Day and other social ceremonies are differently because they have the overwhelming support of the vast, vast majority of the community.

And the backlash of a player pulling out of those would be nothing compared to what they would receive if they refused to ‘kneel’ tonight for an American political organisation, you know it, we all know it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back