Mega Thread Coronavirus & the AFL - Stage 4 Restrictions in Place in Vic - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

What is done?

If the government is so concerned about the death of its people, why does it allow them to be irresponsible and eat, drink, drug themselves to death? Not only that, an unhealthy lifestyle (overweight, unfit, etc) more than likely predicts an unhappy life.

2/3 of Australians over the age of 18 are overweight or obese = epidemic. Costs the nation huge money too. The government could regulate it, the only reason it sounds foreign to you is because they've never done it. Just like people who think the economic situation isn't a problem, cause Andrews isn't saying it is.

Yet we're unable to choose whether or not we put ourselves outdoors with or without a mask on, in public to go for a walk in the fresh air. Next to zero chance of infection of a virus that literally bounces off the overwhelming majority. As I've said, the data is there, if you're susceptible to having trouble with the virus, take responsibility for yourself until there's a vaccine - wear a mask, social distance, shop early or late, don't go to your local religious institution and kiss / hug everyone. Tighten up aged care homes immensely. The data is there...

BTW, you could still give your neighbour influenza any other year, which could similarly kill him. Vaccines are often only 20% or so effective.
The stupidity of your analogy has been pointed out by numerous posters, so why are you persisting with it?

I think there is a limit to how long people will tolerate staying home. This is a very big city, we can't keep it half closed forever.

Nobody has ever said it is easy.

That idiot that is in charge of the CoVid recovery is already spruiking open borders, if Victorian doesn't stay in lockdown for as long as it takes to get it right under control it will spread like wildfire throughout the country.

If that was allowed to happen then we have all wasted 6 months, we might as well have gone down the path of Europe or the US.

Anyone who thinks that the economy is going to be any better off by having 1000's of active cases in the country is delusional.

I suspect that we are going to learn the hard way that lockdown measures are far more beneficial long & short term, ecoonomically and socially, than any alternatives.

I think Victoria is well past aiming for elimination, not that we ever did. If they turn around and say elimination is now the goal it’s stage 4 until 2021. Not sure people from Perth realise how hard stage 4 is. I can get behind it, but not for another 3 months.

So long as there number of active cases falls , that's where we are heading.
Community spread has never been wide scale. Its been a few suburbs in western/Northern Melbourne.
Its not like the UK where it was essentially spreading everywhere before there was any lockdown.

202 new cases is still too many though.

Nobody has ever said it is easy.

That idiot that is in charge of the CoVid recovery is already spruiking open borders, if Victorian doesn't stay in lockdown for as long as it takes to get it right under control it will spread like wildfire throughout the country.

If that was allowed to happen then we have all wasted 6 months, we might as well have gone down the path of Europe or the US.

Anyone who thinks that the economy is going to be any better off by having 1000's of active cases in the country is delusional.

I suspect that we are going to learn the hard way that lock down measures are far more beneficial long & short term, ecoonomically and socially, than any alternatives.

There are 25 local government areas who have none. If they still have none in 3 weeks what is your justification?
Transport restrictions YES.
The transport restictions don't need to be at the border. In Fact if i couldn't go to work because i lived in Wodonga and worked in Albury ( or vise versa) i'd be looking for a Lawyer to sue the NSW government. Thinking in terms of borders is small minded political bigotry.

Andrews needs to be able to man up and close the INTERNAL borders based on where the virus actually IS.

I think Victoria is well past aiming for elimination, not that we ever did. If they turn around and say elimination is now the goal it’s stage 4 until 2021. Not sure people from Perth realise how hard stage 4 is. I can get behind it, but not for another 3 months.

So if the transmissions track down to single figures per day by the time stage 4 is meant to finish, wouldn’t you rather stay at stage 4 for another 4 weeks until daily figures are at or close to zero than move to stage 2 and 3 for 6 weeks before having to lock down again into stage 4?

Because opening up while there is significant community transmission will again result in further lockdowns and a continuing ban on Victorians travelling interstate.
I understand it’s hard. What would do my head in most is the feeling that the hard times will have been for nothing if it just gets out of control again, and again.

So if the transmissions track down to single figures per day by the time stage 4 is meant to finish, wouldn’t you rather stay at stage 4 for another 4 weeks until daily figures are at or close to zero than move to stage 2 and 3 for 6 weeks before having to lock down again into stage 4?

Because opening up while there is significant community transmission will again result in further lockdowns and a continuing ban on Victorians travelling interstate.
I understand it’s hard. What would do my head in most is the feeling that the hard times will have been for nothing if it just gets out of control again, and again.

This is it. I live in Adelaide, we had lockdown for a quite awhile before conditions were relaxed. We've seen people who think it's over and back to "normal", so the Government is warning about further restrictions in future if people don't pull their heads in.

The whole idea is to either eliminate the virus, or learn to live with it until an effective vaccine can be found. Personally, even though I have a lot more freedom than people in Victoria, I am still taking this thing seriously and only leave my place for an hour of exercise, usually to walk to the supermarket to buy some food and home again. When I walk into the supermarket, I pump sanitizer on my hands, I see many who don't. Makes sense to do this if you're going to fondle all the fruit and veg.

Yes, it's annoying, but if people don't do what's being asked of them, this is going to stretch out, well into 2021, possibly beyond. This is what some sectors of community just fail to understand. As Lenny Kravitz once sang, "It ain't over till it's over".

There seems to be low numbers of community spread in a lot of diverse areas now.
Interestingly its coming down well in the worst hit area.
It would be interesting to hear from someone out in hoppers crossing and hear what its like.

Where i am , i have a work permit, but i'm yet to show it to anyone.
I'm yet to be checked to see if i'm in the 5km zone.

I can only assume/hope that the cops are coming down hard in the badly hit areas.

Stage 3 is pretty effective at stopping low levels of community transmission, as evidenced by the March/April lockdown.

This is it. I live in Adelaide, we had lockdown for a quite awhile before conditions were relaxed. We've seen people who think it's over and back to "normal", so the Government is warning about further restrictions in future if people don't pull their heads in.

The whole idea is to either eliminate the virus, or learn to live with it until an effective vaccine can be found. Personally, even though I have a lot more freedom than people in Victoria, I am still taking this thing seriously and only leave my place for an hour of exercise, usually to walk to the supermarket to buy some food and home again. When I walk into the supermarket, I pump sanitizer on my hands, I see many who don't. Makes sense to do this if you're going to fondle all the fruit and veg.

Yes, it's annoying, but if people don't do what's being asked of them, this is going to stretch out, well into 2021, possibly beyond. This is what some sectors of community just fail to understand. As Lenny Kravitz once sang, "It ain't over till it's over".

You barely had a lockdown. What frustrates me more is people throwing us their expert opinions without ever living it. Of course we dont want this effort to be for nothing. It could be into 2021 to achieve what your asking at which time Victoria will be ****ed.

I actually don’t think you understand how hard it is. We aren’t getting elimination here, it won’t happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

About 120 odd cases in Australia today.

What will cases in Victoria be like in mid-late October when a certain major event is technically still scheduled at?

I actually don’t think you understand how hard it is. We aren’t getting elimination here, it won’t happen.
I’m not living what you are going through. So you’re right: I may not fully understand how hard it is.

But I’m looking at the figures. It’s clear that stage 4 has stopped the increase of cases that was occurring in stage 3 and is in fact bringing it down pretty quickly. By this time next week, it may be well under a hundred.
The number of active cases will also go down as the infections take their course.
If the numbers get that low that quickly, there is every possibility that you can eliminate the community spread of the virus. Not total elimination, but enough to open up. As long as it doesn’t happen too early.

I’m not living what you are going through. So you’re right: I may not fully understand how hard it is.

But I’m looking at the figures. It’s clear that stage 4 has stopped the increase of cases that was occurring in stage 3 and is in fact bringing it down pretty quickly. By this time next week, it may be well under a hundred.
The number of active cases will also go down as the infections take their course.
If the numbers get that low that quickly, there is every possibility that you can eliminate the community spread of the virus. Not total elimination, but enough to open up. As long as it doesn’t happen too early.

I agree that we need to get it low, I disagree that we should be staying in stage 4 until elimination. All good on your comments btw, it's hard hearing from people in WA talking about how they know how hard it is etc. You have been some of the luckiest people in the world and I honestly hope it continues.

About 120 odd cases in Australia today.

What will cases in Victoria be like in mid-late October when a certain major event is technically still scheduled at?
Hopefully back to single figures, but there is 0 chance of a VIC Grand Final. Dan Andrews will not risk that at all.

Over reaction imo

Too much is at stake though. In the end you gotta overreact, not underreact

AFLs guidelines should be what the State govts is. At the very least, all teams need to leave the Brisbane area and relocate elsewhere immediately. No more games at the Gabba for the rest of the regular season as a extreme minimum

Posters have addressed your points, but rather than respond to that and move the conversation forward, you just keep repeating yourself. It’s low intellect and boring.

Ill butt in one point

Obesity is somewhat contaguius in that overweight people tend to have overweight children and so on. The idea your eating habits are not passed down to anyone really is nonesense. Kids eat what their parents eat in the end and if the parents eat unhealthy, so will the children

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Coronavirus & the AFL - Stage 4 Restrictions in Place in Vic - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Back