Could Carlton be a serious contender in this random season?

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree Carlton's rebuild is overrated as they aren't putting young sides on the park. The only sides to put out older 22 this week were Geelong, Hawthorn and Port Adelaide.

They have to find replacements for Betts, Murphy, Jones, Simpson, Curnow and Casboult over the next 2 years whilst also upgrading on your Newnes/Gibbons style battlers if they're gonna challenge for the top part of the 8.
Gibbons will be fine.

A player who actually played AFL on the weekend.

Besides my criticism of Carlton isn’t based on Essendon being in any better shape we have our own issues

Dow was in the team until injured, I remember Hams and his 6 glorious touches in your loss to us a few weeks ago. Out of interest was that an 'AFL quality' game?

Your older kpps will be hard to replace.

Hooker doesn’t have a direct replacement but Hurley has shared CHB with Ridley this year and we have Francis as a fairly like for like replacement in that role.

Essendon’s biggest issue is with Daniher potentially leaving or just never getting fit is we have the worst KPFs in the league. Mckernan and Stewart the only two with AFL experience.

Hooker doesn’t have a direct replacement but Hurley has shared CHB with Ridley this year and we have Francis as a fairly like for like replacement in that role.

Essendon’s biggest issue is with Daniher potentially leaving or just never getting fit is we have the worst KPFs in the league. Mckernan and Stewart the only two with AFL experience.
it did feel we were outmarking you guys all night. smallish team.

the next week saints did the same to us.

That's exactly what I was thinking when watching the game last night.

There's this fallacy that because a team is mediocre, they must also be 'young and up and coming', but that actually couldn't be further from the truth for Carlton.
I think a lot of Carlton supporters are stuck in rebuild mode.

We should absolutely be aiming high with the teams we’re putting out.

Dow was in the team until injured, I remember Hams and his 6 glorious touches in your loss to us a few weeks ago. Out of interest was that an 'AFL quality' game?

Have you been encouraged by Dow and O’Brien’s performances at AFL level?

They’ve played a combined 75 games and the best thing each has going for them is they were a high draft pick

Is the OP Sam Mclure by any chance? Or any of his Carlton media coorts masquerading as 'super serious' journalists?
ANY opportunity to pump up this cheating scum rabble of a club. FFS.
You'll fall flat on your clacker, again, and again, and again. And every time it just gets sweeter and sweeter.
Look forward to watching you FAIL, as you have for the last 20 years, and still get plaudits for being 'so full of talent' (but sh*t) or 'just around the corner' (and the corner after that)
And should this scumbag club, by some remote, remote chance stumble into finals, Steven Bradbury style, it counts for nothing as it's such a messed up season and is akin to winning the Wizard cup (your last great triumph! lol)
What you're cooking smells a lot like sh*t....
wow.

bigger things in life man. no need to get so worked up.

First rounder doesn’t automatically equate to good though. I’ve got O’Brien and Dow very much in the bust category at this stage.

The biggest positives I had for Carlton last night was McKay looked back on track plus Setterfield and Kennedy showed good signs they’ll become long term AFL players.
Did you have Setterfield and Kennedy as busts 3 weeks ago?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have you been encouraged by Dow and O’Brien’s performances at AFL level?

They’ve played a combined 75 games and the best thing each has going for them is they were a high draft pick

I think they will both in be in the team on a regular basis in the years to come, a team that will be better than our side of the last ten. LOB can run all day and can kick it well, he will run a wing for the blues for years to come. Dow has flashes of brilliance, needs to work on his consistency and kicking. Not everyone will be a star and they don't need to be. You did not answer my question...

Did have Kennedy as a bust for sure.

Setterfield has shown too good of a knack for finding the footy and moves too well to have as a bust. Also worth noting he has less AFL experience than both Dow and LOB

Shows how little you watch our team. Kennedy was by far the form player of the two in the back half of 2019.

I think they will both in be in the team on a regular basis in the years to come, a team that will be better than our side of the last ten. LOB can run all day and can kick it well, he will run a wing for the blues for years to come. Dow has flashes of brilliance, needs to work on his consistency and kicking. Not everyone will be a star and they don't need to be. You did not answer my question...

I’d just go with a simple not being bottom 5 on the ground Would be a good start.

Profile from last night:
26yr 3mth
108 Games
8 < 50
4 50-99
5 100 - 150
5 150+

They'd want to be playing finals and ideally winning one with that demographic.
Still with Dow, O’Brien, Fisher, JSOS, TDK, Marchbank and Charlie to add to that team over the next 1-2 years so it’s in great shape. With Honey, Philp, Kemp and Ramsay waiting in the wings.

Is the OP Sam Mclure by any chance? Or any of his Carlton media coorts masquerading as 'super serious' journalists?
You'll fall flat on your clacker, again, and again, and again. And every time it just gets sweeter and sweeter.
Look forward to watching you FAIL, as you have for the last 20 years, and still get plaudits for being 'so full of talent' (but sh*t) or 'just around the corner' (and the corner after that)
And should this scumbag club, by some remote, remote chance stumble into finals, Steven Bradbury style, it counts for nothing as it's such a messed up season and is akin to winning the Wizard cup (your last great triumph! lol)
Someone forgot their medicine this morning

Got out the wrong side of the bed today. Apologies for how terrible your club is and looks pike being for some time. I’ll enjoy this despite your trolling attempt to bring us down. Cheers.

I agree Carlton's rebuild is overrated as they aren't putting young sides on the park. The only sides to put out older 22 this week were Geelong, Hawthorn and Port Adelaide.

They have to find replacements for Betts, Murphy, Jones, Simpson, Curnow and Casboult over the next 2 years whilst also upgrading on your Newnes/Gibbons style battlers if they're gonna challenge for the top part of the 8.
Murphy and Simpson I agree. Casboult and Jones are in career best form and have a few years left. But I agree with the sentiment. We do need to hit the trade table and free agency hard to get in quality footballers between the ages of 24-28 to supplement future losses. I dont think it's a problem that we have a senior core supporting the young talent.if our senior players weren't contributing the criticism would be that carlton lack leadership. The challenge will be to attract very good mature afl footballers. Not out of the realm of possibility. Murphy is past his best and Simpson can be replaced by a decent half back flanker. We do have docherty, sps and Williamson doing a good job back there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Could Carlton be a serious contender in this random season?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back