Could Carlton be a serious contender in this random season?

Remove this Banner Ad

Casboult, Simpson, Curnow and Murphy all finished top 10 in your B&F last year plus Eddie top top 10 in the league for average goals and assists. Just because you choose to draw the line differently to me doesn’t make them any less valuable to Carlton

Last year is last year. This year Casboult would be the only one of those in the top 10 and with Charlie Curnow on the sidelines, we have a very prospective replacement, who far from "treading water" could well be an improvement. Re Eddie - see the need for Papley. It's all just opinion, but IMO you're overplaying Carlton's age profile by some margin. Having a year or two of these older guys up our sleeve while some of the younger guys develop is a plus, not a negative.

Your post history says otherwise. Sorry champ, we're not accepting turncoats, especially those who think Carlton can win the flag.

Can some mod change this jokers club so we don't get associated with them? Thanks!
We dont want him either. Send him to the Hawks theyll do anythng for membership numbers

#petgate

Last year is last year. This year Casboult would be the only one of those in the top 10 and with Charlie Curnow on the sidelines, we have a very prospective replacement, who far from "treading water" could well be an improvement. Re Eddie - see the need for Papley. It's all just opinion, but IMO you're overplaying Carlton's age profile by some margin. Having a year or two of these older guys up our sleeve while some of the younger guys develop is a plus, not a negative.

Have no problems with Carlton fan’s being bullish about their list just think you have to be realistic about who is actually contributing for the Blues.

Have no problems with Carlton fan’s being bullish about their list just think you have to be realistic about who is actually contributing for the Blues.

Yes. I would recommend this for you funnily enough, rather than focusing on last year's BnF when the Blues had two coaches and were terrible for most of the year. So far this year the top 10 would include Martin, Cripps, Weitering, Casboult, Pittonet, Docherty, Gibbons, Betts, Cunningham, Jones.

As I've noted, Charlie is the obvious replacement/upgrade of Casboult. No treading water there. I posted earlier, we need to get Papley over the line. That's a big "if" but not an unlikely one at all - so no treading water there if we can. And we have a couple of years to find a Jones replacement. Jones has been really good of late, but so long as we find an adequate replacement, his retiring is not going to bring this list to it's knees.

So yeah, again, I think you're overstating the point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Murphy and maybe Betts are the only two players there that may be tough to find replacements for. Even still we’ve got Fisher sitting out of the side at the moment who can definitely play well in the middle.

Betts has added something we haven’t had in years so he will be tough to replace. But I would imagine the club tries again for Papley, although he’ll probably cost more now.

Marchbank is out at the moment but can replace Jones long term.

Casboult? Really? He’s been good this year but he’s not suddenly irreplaceable. I’m sure a year or two ago everyone wouldn’t have even mentioned him. Charlie Curnow is a superior footballer and slots straight back in, the issue with him is keeping him on the park after a recent sh*t run.

There’s still a few young players the club hasn’t given up on either. This idea that a club trying to go up the ladder should have no players to replace in their side and basically just loaded with 22 young blokes is fantasy stuff. It is constantly brought up on Bigfooty but it is never what happens to successful teams. Richmond didn’t just suddenly have 22 young blokes come good. Nor did the Dogs or Hawks.
I’d argue that McGovern probably replaces Casboults role and we play the two elite running talks in mckay and Curnow. What makes Casboult so special is the relief ruck and the ability to get behind the ball.

Yes. I would recommend this for you funnily enough, rather than focusing on last year's BnF when the Blues had two coaches and were terrible for most of the year. So far this year the top 10 would include Martin, Cripps, Weitering, Casboult, Pittonet, Docherty, Gibbons, Betts, Cunningham, Jones.

As I've noted, Charlie is the obvious replacement/upgrade of Casboult. No treading water there. I posted earlier, we need to get Papley over the line. That's a big "if" but not an unlikely one at all - so no treading water there if we can. And we have a couple of years to find a Jones replacement. Jones has been really good of late, but so long as we find an adequate replacement, his retiring is not going to bring this list to it's knees.

So yeah, again, I think you're overstating the point.

Are you living in reality? Cunningham has played one good game and Gibbons has been ok.

Curnow is a lock to be top 10 most likely top 5 and I expect Simpson will be clearly top 10 by the end of the year.

Richmond had 124 pages of posts after winning the flag. Carlton have 50 after beating the dogs in round 6. They're gonna get to half that by the end of week.

Imagine if they win the flag. Woweeeeeeeee

That’s probably the problem. Non member but prepared to make big statements.

I'm a long time member. What I don't do is pay salaries. If you seriously think your membership pays individuals salaries you sound ezactly like the morons who think they are in charge of police because you pay taxes.

I'm a long time member. What I don't do is pay salaries. If you seriously think your membership pays individuals salaries you sound ezactly like the morons who think they are in charge of police because you pay taxes.
Money moves around. You indirectly pay salaries.

As of last night I’d say Martin, Gibbons, Betts, Weitering, Jones, Setterfield, Kennedy and Walsh. Most of those will be around for a long time. Betts will be replaced by Papley in 2021.

Yes but it's a ridiculously small portion for the entire list letalone singling out an individual. It's just a ridiculous statement from beginning to end.
But you do pay a cent. Hence my reply. It may be 1/2 a cent though. I can’t be ****ed doing the math.

Remove this Banner Ad

Could Carlton be a serious contender in this random season?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back