News Could Malthouse walk out on Collingwood?

Remove this Banner Ad

Fail to see how its dumb. What say Buckley takes over and finds it uncomfortable having MM still there. Surely there has to be a get out clause for this.

How's malthouse Buckley any different (apart from less devious and deceitful) then Thompson hird?

Buckley captained while malthouse coached no issues, hird played under Thompson captain and captained under Thompson as an asst coach.

I personally fail too see where the issues are, if Mick leaves it'll be because he wants too

How's malthouse Buckley any different (apart from less devious and deceitful) then Thompson hird?

Buckley captained while malthouse coached no issues, hird played under Thompson captain and captained under Thompson as an asst coach.

I personally fail too see where the issues are, if Mick leaves it'll be because he wants too

Im not saying there will be any issue I just dont beleive there wouldnt be a get out clause if there was a breakdown in the relationship. Same would go for any coaching panel.

Im not saying there will be any issue I just dont beleive there wouldnt be a get out clause if there was a breakdown in the relationship. Same would go for any coaching panel.
There would be no real "get out clause", but Collingwood always has the option to basically "fire" Mick (or Bucks) if the situation gets out of hand.

But let's face it, all this talk is bullshit at the moment, we just had an almost perfect season, and if I am correct (and I am) it was the first season Bucks sat next to Mick full time in the coaches box, and it worked out ok.

Mick has also stated that he knows he can't go on forever, and I'd say if we won the flag again in 2011, Mick would be quite content to sit back and just assist Bucks for 3 seasons, in what would be a revolutionary new role in our game, a role that will be copied by other clubs if it does work out.

Keep talking shit about them, please, it takes all the attention of the actual people who matter, the 22 who run out each week.:)

I wouldn't be surprised to see Malthouse put his hand up to coach again but I think he'll be at the club for at least 2012. I think it's most likely that once he starts his new role he'll get used to it and stick at it.

If he does go to coach at another club I don't know how well he'd go. Not only does he need the right playing list and know where to put players etc, players also need to get used to his game plan, which would take 2 years minimum you'd think. How old will he be then?

If Malthouse still wants to head coach and another club wants him he will leave.

'Director of coaching' was just PR to stop Collingwood looking bad for declaring years in advance when Buckley would get the job (which itself is bizarre).

Let there be no mistaking either of these things.

LOL at an Essendon supporter thinking anything relating to coaching transition is "bizarre".
You can ahrdly say that any issues surrounding the appointments have damaged the club. (unless the obvious friction cost us those 4 games:rolleyes:)

This is going to go on all season, the media (Caro won't let this go) think it can't work (even though it pretty much just did at Sydney after following the Pies lead). Lame media.

Let's face it, there are only 2 ways to "attack" Collingwood in the media and as an opposition supporter at the moment, and they are;

1. Attack our coaching structure, even though it just won us a flag
2. Start rumours about one of our stars signing with GWS

It will happen all year, but you "get the feeling" that the players, coaches and the club as a whole generally ignored all media comments about them last year, so I can't see the media or some morons posting on Bay 13 or the Main Board of a football forum really changing the fact that we are rightfully favourites for 2011, and it's pissing everyone else off big time.:D

The link is censored for a reason. The site is full of rubbish from hack journalists trying to make a name for themselves. It's mainly censored because they try to spam bigfooty with links to their site.

Read the article. It doesn't add anything new. No sources. Just the musings of someone desperate for a story.

He could do this he could do that. All hypothetical. Joke of an article.

I am telling you all this, He wont coach Carlton, he hates Carlton. He is gonna get paid 1mil to be the director of coaching more then any other AFL coach. Why would he leave?

The link is censored for a reason. The site is full of rubbish from hack journalists trying to make a name for themselves. It's mainly censored because they try to spam bigfooty with links to their site.

Read the article. It doesn't add anything new. No sources. Just the musings of someone desperate for a story.

He could do this he could do that. All hypothetical. Joke of an article.

I can attest to th "crapness" of the said site. They have only published a single comment in regard to the fairy tale, one which supports the authors fictional scenario, regardless of the fact that I and several other people I know left comments.

That article is utter garbage! And is very, very poorly written.

How many times does MM have to tell the media that he will not be leaving Collingwood? it's not as if he's baulking at the questions - they just don't like the answers he is giving.

I direct you to an article from earlier in the year...ironically written by me.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...e-mick-malthouse/story-e6frf9jf-1225934309217

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think MM is smart enough to know that you need to leave with just that little bit left in the tank same as a player retirement.
I don't think there would be any tempting offer out there anyway. Any club that would want him would be in the state where they need a complete rebuild and I doubt MM has 10 years coaching in him.

I reckon any talk of MM possibly leaving at this point is utterly bemusing really!

Whatever lies ahead he has done a massive job for this club and the way Eddie has structured the coaching transition seems gr8. Still if MM changes his mind - I'll still thank him and wish him all the best!

Dumb Question, seeing as both Buckley and Malthouse have 4 years left on contracts. DUH.:eek:

I've never minded asking dumb questions, and this one could take the cake, but here goes...

Let's say MM takes the Pies to a second flag this year and makes it known he has the bit between the teeth and wants to stay on coaching...

Might N Buckley say, well if he wants it, then I'm happy to stand aside and continue my apprenticeship for another year or two??

To help him come to this magnamimous decision, he'd have to realise that he'd be steeping into enormous shoes and really he can only go one way after two consec flags..

I've never minded asking dumb questions, and this one could take the cake, but here goes...

Let's say MM takes the Pies to a second flag this year and makes it known he has the bit between the teeth and wants to stay on coaching...

Might N Buckley say, well if he wants it, then I'm happy to stand aside and continue my apprenticeship for another year or two??

To help him come to this magnamimous decision, he'd have to realise that he'd be steeping into enormous shoes and really he can only go one way after two consec flags..

This could happen in reality, though is, as we all know an impossibility in Medialand. Mick and Bucks have been at each others throats since shortly before the agreement was announced.

That article is utter garbage! And is very, very poorly written.

How many times does MM have to tell the media that he will not be leaving Collingwood? it's not as if he's baulking at the questions - they just don't like the answers he is giving.

I direct you to an article from earlier in the year...ironically written by me.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...e-mick-malthouse/story-e6frf9jf-1225934309217

That is your article? Nicely done!! I quote that article as much as possible when anyone brings up MM leaving. I particularly like how Eddie pulls no punches.

"He will be (staying), otherwise I will be suing him for breaking a contract and someone might have to buy him out," McGuire said.

"If anyone wants to try and talk to him, I will be suing them for inducing a person to break contracts. He is contracted and he has made the agreement. He has shaken my hand. It's done. He is not going anywhere."

I dont think the Eddie threat is going to keep him. However, i think Mick has a lot of pride and I think his comments about how he leaves coaching are important. Ron Barassi was the god of coaches in the 60s and 70s but he came back to coach Sydney and it really took something out of his legend. I dont think Mick wants to go to another club when its going to take him at least 3 years to make a difference. The reality is while Mick was an important factor in winning the flag, the other coaches, the conditioning area and the recruiting area all make a contribution. While Mick would be able to get Carlton into the finals consistently, he would have to be very lucky to win a flag with their current list. Greg Swan might promise Mick to improve their recruitment but that's going to take a few years. If I had to make a guess now, I would say that it's more likely that Bucks will give him another year than for Mick to leave...

I agree but what I like about everytime eddie or mm are asked about it that are black and white about it (pun intended) contracts are in place, contracts are going to be fulfilled, we all signed knowing what we are doing and if anyone comes near him we will sue them.

As you said mm's reputation and his word are very important to him and denying it all this time (ala bomber) only to leave and then to leave for Carlton would reek. He won't do that.

Ron Barassi was the god of coaches in the 60s and 70s but he came back to coach Sydney and it really took something out of his legend.

If anything, Barassi's stint with Sydney cemented his legend. He didn't even get the Swans to the finals, but he almost singlehanded bought football back from the dead in NSW.

Really, it was his lacklustre run as coach of Melbourne (1981-1985) that diminished his legend. He was the favourite son returning home, but couldn't get the team above 8th (in the days of the Final Five), and had two bottom-two finishes in his 5 years as coach of the Demons.

yes you're right. I knew he had a stint somewhere after North but he actually had two...

and another is Tommy Hafey who went to Geelong after getting the boot from Collingwood......I cant remember his level of success at the Cats but I'm sure Damon can fill in the blanks. I remember the Pie fans clapping him when he returned to vic park with geelong...the fans loved him but he was seen as yesterday's man by the time he was finished. I'm sure that will have an impact on Malthouse's decision next year.

yes you're right. I knew he had a stint somewhere after North but he actually had two...

and another is Tommy Hafey who went to Geelong after getting the boot from Collingwood......I cant remember his level of success at the Cats but I'm sure Damon can fill in the blanks. I remember the Pie fans clapping him when he returned to vic park with geelong...the fans loved him but he was seen as yesterday's man by the time he was finished. I'm sure that will have an impact on Malthouse's decision next year.

It seems like Hafey had a talented list while at Geelong (1983-1985), but couldn't convert that to on-field results. His successor John Devine had the same issues. It wasn't until Malcom Blight got there in 1989 that guys like Gary Ablett, Bill Brownless etc would reach their full potential

Still, after leaving Geelong, Hafey (along with ex-Cat Greg Williams) managed to turn the Swans into the highest scoring team in the league before the Edelsten gravy train eventually dried up in the late '80s.

That whole article is just more talk on what everybody other than pies supporters want to hear about cos its a slow news day, MM said it himself he will stick by his contract.

nothing to worry about dave, he is going to stay :thumbsu:

If MM goes back to back, it would make sense for Bucks to sit out another year and let MM do his thing with the list he built. Bucks can then build his own and do what he wants with it, and stand on his own merits after this one has gone has far as it can go. If Bucks takes over this list and has success with it everyone will forever say it was MM's list anyway and Bucks did not prove himself as a coach. So it's in his interests to build his own list and make or break his reputation on that. He is still a young man in terms of coaching. But I can't see it happening like that.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Could Malthouse walk out on Collingwood?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back