WSYD Crackers says Port Melbourne would beat GWS and Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

I would be more oncerned with GWS playing meltank. Brogan injury will help I guess.

Brogan isnt as important as people think - he is now solidly the no 2 ruckman behind Giles. Izzy can pinch-hit as second ruck ... he's got the leap and the body to provide a contest.

Without Ablett, Harbrow, Warnock, Bock, Richatelli, Brennan, Fraser, Brown, etc. Pretty good effort.

Bennell (if he can do that against Freo, imagine what he'd do in a lower comp!), Caddy, Horsley, Prestia, Lynch, Day - and while Hunt was there, he was about a millionth of the player he is today.

People seriously underestimating the gap between the comps imho. Port Melb are a spectacularly good VFL side, but the Suns would make a mess of them.

GWS - not so clear-cut right now, though I suspect they'd make it pretty comfortably too. Consider for a moment what a starting midfield of Power, Scully, Ward would do to VFL-level (even high-VFL-level) competition. Cornes and Mohr down back. And Giles, Bugg, Greene, Cameron are proven AFL players already - it's not like VFL guys would be bullying them off the park.

Port Melb only beat Gold Coast by a few goals in the VFL 2010, how would they beat them now with depth all over? Suns easy.

Maybe if it was pissing down rain, and the middle was a giant pile of mud, then they could possibly win. If it was a dry, normal day at the footy, GWS and GC would beat them.

Maybe if it was pissing down rain, and the middle was a giant pile of mud, then they could possibly win. If it was a dry, normal day at the footy, GWS and GC would beat them.

Please don't tell me your having a sook about the conditions because Willi got belted by 80 points?

It's called getting the hard-ball - something your bulldog listed players could learn how to do again.

Crowded House is as delusional as Crackers if he thinks Port Melbourne would get anywhere near GWS in the wet.

Honestly, how many of our games have either of them watched ?

Well, maybe it's time to re-evaluate how Port Melbourne would go against GWS and Gold Coast.

Currently, both GWS and GC are winless.

Port Melbourne has started the season with a 7-0 start, including it's 28th win in a row.

However, one figure that stands out is this...

It's average winning margin at home (after 4 games) is 88 points! :eek::eek::eek:

Now before some people say "yeah, against the bottom sides I bet", these are the teams they beat at home...

Defeated Werribee (Preliminary Finalists in 2011) by 59 points
Defeated North Ballarat (Semi Finals 2011, Premiers 08/09/10) by 84 points
Defeated Northern Blues (Preliminary Finalists 2011) by 126 points
Defeated Williamstown (Runners up 2011, Foxtel Cup winner 2011) by 80 points.

That's nothing but brutal! :thumbsu:

You're forgetting one very important thing and that is that the VFL is shit.

Crackers is pretty much the reason I stay away from the Mondayitis podcast on Sportal.

Ever since the Suns came into the competition he's hated them. He doesn't try to hide it which is at least nice, but this sort of comment from him is not surprising. Raves and raves about how Port Melbourne would beat the Suns after they have down weeks. Wouldn't be surprised if he said the same stupid things about GWS.

After the Suns win (or come close to winning in competitive efforts), he conveniently skims over the game. :rolleyes: Go figure.

Please don't tell me your having a sook about the conditions because Willi got belted by 80 points?

It's called getting the hard-ball - something your bulldog listed players could learn how to do again.

Im not having a sook, im saying that Port Melbourne play in those conditions very well. AFL players aren't used to those conditions.
Geez, bit touchy there?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Strange week to bump this thread after GC put in one of the best performances I've seen from them.

Whether you rate Freo or not we're clearly on a completely different level to a VFL team and they were swarming all over us for much of the match.

Time to re-assess Crackers.

CLAREMONT 13.10 (88)
PORT MELBOURNE 6.2 (38)

Even Peel Thunder beat Claremont.

Yes Peel did beat Claremont, they played a cracking game that day and Claremont stank. I was there.
Claremont are currently on top of the WAFL ladder the last time I checked and going by the results of the last few weeks have found some form again.

This of course has nothing to do with how good Port Melbourne are or aren't.
As much as I'd love to crow about Claremont beating Port Melbourne, who by all reports are a very strong team/club, unfortunately Port didn't put their best side on the track.
This is disappointing as it undermines the credibility of the whole comp (Foxtel Cup) if teams don't at least field competitive sides.

As for how they'd go against GC/GWS..........couldn't see a second tier side doing it these days.

Remove this Banner Ad

WSYD Crackers says Port Melbourne would beat GWS and Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back